Thread: Test Drive

2002 Trans Am CE

Question Test Drive

The other day my wife took a certified pre-owned 2002 WS6 T/A for a test drive for me since I'm here in oh so lovely Baghdad. From the pics she took and the description she gave, the body, engine bay, and interior are in great shape. During the run she noticed a few things wrong (besides the sales rep's attitude, this guy was a real dick). There was a rattle coming from what seemed to be the middle of the engine bay. It would rattle 2 seconds, be quiet 2 seconds, rattle 2sec, etc. Sales rep pretended like he didn't hear it. Go figure. Also, when she got it up to 60mph or above, there was a slow, steady, faint chugging feel, like it wasn't getting gas in properly. The sales rep claimed that's how Trans Ams are supposed to feel at that speed, which i know is a massive pile of fresh bullshit b/c I've been in T/A's before! Other than those, the car ran smooth and strong and handled well. Anybody have any idea what's causing those symptoms? If you need some more info I can try to call and get more details. Thanks

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

sorry dude. the only way to make an informed buying decision is to drive this car yourself. thank you for fighting for our country, i hope for your safe return to a badass car. your wife rocks for performing your "search" for you. my advice is to tell your wife to take her concerns and speak with the service department as they certified the car therefore somebody worked on it. better yet most dealers have at least one performance nut that would prolly be very helpful. ie. i am the mustang guy at my job.

Black
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Ditch that car, there shouldn't be a rattle in that area.
    Only rattle I would accept is the heat shield in the back on the pax side which is the bend over the axle exhaust shield. First thing I do is jack the car up from the rear and secure that heat shield using a high temp rubber blanket between the body and the shield or drill a hole and screw it shut with a sheetmetal screw.

If the engine was chugging, that is prob. a major problem with the PCM or the fuel system.
    Not worth it for this one.

quicky06
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1Chris
    Ditch that car, there shouldn't be a rattle in that area.
    Only rattle I would accept is the heat shield in the back on the pax side which is the bend over the axle exhaust shield. First thing I do is jack the car up from the rear and secure that heat shield using a high temp rubber blanket between the body and the shield or drill a hole and screw it shut with a sheetmetal screw.

If the engine was chugging, that is prob. a major problem with the PCM or the fuel system.
    Not worth it for this one.

where would you get that from?

ivebeen looking all over for one cuz my muffler si rattalingagainst my heat sheild

Black
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

My local hardware store had it.

It's orange and a propane torch can't melt a hole in it. It's fire resistant too.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

i had that rattle also..had it on a lift the other day..it was from the stock after cat o2 sensor...there's a metal ring on the sensor where the wiring harness starts...it was rattling all over the place

hfldTA
    Rattle is most likely a minor thing. What base are you from? I am currently @ Hurlburt Field (USAF).

2002 Trans Am CE

Thanks for all the inputs, I won't be taking a look at that car again. I could understand those defects on an "as is" used car but definitely not on a CPO. Anyway, I found another bird, a 2002 Collector's Edition T/A WS6. It's got 66000 miles, an aftermarket stereo (yeah, I was like ), runs very well, and has a wierd sound coming from the back that sounds an awful lot like the muffler problem some of you guys mentioned. Any thoughts on this one? hfldTA, I'm from Pope/Bragg (I work on both). It's good to be back in the USA!!!

fuel pump or dirty fuel filter could be the culprit for the hesitation

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

dude just get your ass home in one piece and stay low. your car will be here in america waiting for you if i have to sell you my car . keep up the good work!

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

Quote Originally Posted by mrhzk35404
    Are you a man cause I like men? Yes, I am a man too.
    what are you like 2 years old or what!grow up and keep your homo-erotic fanticies in your own sick mind! anyway asshole why aren't you out fighting the war?

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

yeah I never said that one of my punk buddy left that post

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc_S
    . . . a certified pre-owned . . . .
    You've got that right, the only thing this scum-bag dealer certifies is that the car is pre-owned.

Walk away from it. If they are BS-ing you like this, then you don't know what else is wrong with car . . . but you DO know how they treat customers.

There are lots and lots of used F-bodies inthe world, many with honest, class people selling them. Find one of those.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Thank you for your service...from one vet to another....
    From the description you provided...sounds like a catalytic converter issue...
    not just the rattling...but the chugging (starvation effect)....

99 Firebird Formula

I would skip over any f-body that didn't drive perfect, or had a problem that wasn't blatantly obvious when it comes to fixing. With a car like an f-bod you never know how much it's been raced or modded, and if you have any doubts just keep looking!

Thread Information