1965 GTO

Temperature Question

I have an LS1 from a 2000 vette in my Jeep and am working on the temp settings. I have a 160 deg themostat and was wondering what folks think is a reasonable setting for the fan. I only have one fan and right now have it set to kick on at 205 and off at 198 and am hoping for some feedback on the settings here. I was thinking that the fan would come on less, but run longer. However, in my daily driver (2007) the fan always seems to be on, then off, then on. So, I have no real good idea what the best behavior would be and would love some input. Thanks!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

keep in mind that your stat rating is just the temp at which the stat opens (often not very accurate either) and your fans are what controls temps. For a 2 fan set up and a 160 stat I use fan1 on at 182 off at 173 and fan2 on at 192 off at 183. When on the highway the fans really shouldn't run much at all....it's city driving where they'll work to control your temps. I would probably lower those temps if I were you and open the gap up between them another couple degrees. My car typically stays in the 180 range but I also have my tranny cooler mounted in front of the radiator.

1965 GTO

My question was more around any particular operating temp that is better for an LS1. I have this in a Jeep and generally on the road things are fine, where it gets interesting is offroad when there is a lot of waiting around. Also, I only have 1 fan so am curious about the delta between the on and off temps. You mention a delta of 9 degrees. That seems to imply the fan runs a bit longer when it comes one (depending of course on what the engine is doing). Thanks for the help and comments, really appreciate it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it depends on who you talk to as to where they say the LS1 does best. I know some of my best times at the track were hot lapped runs. I'm pretty comfortable with it staying around 180.
    Being a single fan set up yours is a little different. I wouldn't overthink it too much really. Just get the temps where you want them and leave them there. The 9 degree difference also gives the fans more off time so it's 6 one way half dozen the other.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

An LS1 in a Jeep ? What trans are you running in that and do you have any pictures ?
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

1965 GTO

I have a 4L65e with an Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case. Ford 8.8 rear at 4.88 and soon to be a Ford 9 inch up front.

Engine Bay (older shot here, a bit different today)

In action not too long ago

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

How cool is that, wow. Nice ride. A 350 hp wrangler.

Neat, I haven't seen a newer jeep swap yet. We had an 82 scrambler I did an LT1/4L60E swap in years back. Man what a fun ride that was...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by fred007 View Post
    I have a 4L65e with an Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case. Ford 8.8 rear at 4.88 and soon to be a Ford 9 inch up front.

Engine Bay (older shot here, a bit different today)
    Click for full size

In action not too long ago
    Click for full size
    You sir get

Is oil pressure an issue at certain angles?

1965 GTO

Not that we have seen yet. Have a truck pan with a deep sump in the back. Always a bit worried about this, especially when you get the "Hold it..." in a very strange position.

Thread Information