Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

Temperature gauge not working

My temperature gauge stopped working the other day. Read a few places that it's probably the sending unit. Bought a new sending unit, and even replaced the pigtail and it still doesn't work. When I take the fuse out and put it back in, all the gauges move and do their self check. The temp gauge moves about a quarter of the way, then goes back to cold. Does anybody have any ideas? Could I just have gotten a faulty sending unit? It's also the v6, not v8.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Either a faulty sending unit or maybe your thermostat is stuck open?

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

The car heats fine though, so I don't think it's the thermostat that's stuck open. It could be that something came loose behind the cluster? Is there anyway to test voltage to see if I have a loose wire or bad connection somewhere?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You could try ohming the contacts behind the cluster and see if there you have a short. You could have a bad cluster as well.

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

So I went out last night and it just started working again. I still have no idea why it stopped.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

sounds like a resistor in the PCB. If you have the specs for the surface mounted devices and you know how to use an ohm meter then have at it. I would locate a used cluster and try that first. If it is not the cluster then just put it back on Ebay or Craigslist.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

My 01 Camaro used to do the same thing then it would work again without issue..

I never fixed it proir to getting rid of the car.

I could never seem to track it beyond the cluster as I did the same as you did and replaced everything I could except the cluster and harness.

Another problem I was starting to have was both cooling fans would "stick" on sometimes when the temp guage would be bottomed out.

Same as you it never over heated, and I even tried disconnecting the battery without luck or change.

I was down to only concluding that there may have been and issue in the cluster and or the harness somewhere.

I searched @ length for this and never was able to draw any full proof conclusions so as it stands it's still a mystery..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    My 01 Camaro used to do the same thing then it would work again without issue..

I never fixed it proir to getting rid of the car.

I could never seem to track it beyond the cluster as I did the same as you did and replaced everything I could except the cluster and harness.

Another problem I was starting to have was both cooling fans would "stick" on sometimes when the temp guage would be bottomed out.

Same as you it never over heated, and I even tried disconnecting the battery without luck or change.

I was down to only concluding that there may have been and issue in the cluster and or the harness somewhere.

I searched @ length for this and never was able to draw any full proof conclusions so as it stands it's still a mystery..
    That's exactly what mine is doing too. The fans were constantly running while the gauge was bottomed out. It has to be in the cluster then. How often would yours work, then stop, then work again?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by LgndKller20073 View Post
    That's exactly what mine is doing too. The fans were constantly running while the gauge was bottomed out. It has to be in the cluster then. How often would yours work, then stop, then work again?

It would pick times lol usually when the wife had it out..haha

But really only maybe once every 2-3 months never lasting more than a few hours each time.

I tried everything, fan relays, temp sensors, tracing wires as best I could, cleaning contacts, etc.

Aside from a new cluster, that was the last thing I had'nt tried, searched the internet for hours never finding any real solutions, so I just let it be since @ that point I was looking for a major vehicle upgrade..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-27-2011 at 02:41 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I will add though, it never once acted up till after I changed the alternator.

I cleaned every ground in the engine bay still having no luck.

It would just quit and work normal again as quick as it started..

Thread Information