Thread: Tbi ?

Dark Green
    1992 Pontiac Firebird 5.0

Tbi ?

Hello i just got my new car. It is a 1992 Firebird with the 5.0 305. Its bone stock TBI. I was told it is fuel injected but it sure didnt look like it once I pulled the air box off. Is it or was that the carb.? Im trying to figure this out so i know what to do with it. Thanks in advance.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Yeah, they're fuel injected...unless somebody swapped it for a carb. When you remove all the air cleaner shit, you should see the throttle body sitting on top of an intake manifold that looks alot like a carbureted intake. On top of the throttle body there will be two injectors firing down into it.

Should look alot like this:

Dark Green

Well im at school right now .. and im goin to auto shop next. lol I will look again when I go down there and check it out. Thanks alot. Im pretty sure its stock. Does anyone make an aftermarket Throttle body or intake manifold for these cars.

Dark Green

Well it is fuel injected. My shop teacher was tellin me to put a carb on top and do away with the fuel injection. What do you Experts think? Thanks

black
    97 6-speed corvette

TBI...Throttle body injection. I would keep the throttle body, unless you want to start messing with the computer.

I had a camaro 305 TBI, an absolute dog that ran 16.5 in the quarter. But with simple external bolt ons I got it to 14.8 keeping the TBI, still slow but big improvement.

Dark Green

yes i know my car is a dog. And i know it will never be "fast" but i just want something i can go out have some fun in and have some "balls" cause right now its nothin.

black
    97 6-speed corvette

Just so you know I wasn`t knocking your car saying it was slow, I`m saying it responds well to mods. Okay I did mention mine was slow comparing it to yours. My camaro was fun, drove the hell out of it and it never let me down. Ran it at the dragstrip over 300 runs no problem.

Dark Green

no lol its cool. I know you didnt. But im not one of those kids that say oh dude my car is so fast blah blah blah. im not gunna say somin that cant back up. I know my car isnt very fast, O well not many kids get a car like that as there first. Its somin for me to have fun with. So some day it will ok but right now its nothin special.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

I put a carburetor on mine, but I wished I'd stuck with the fuel injection. They've both got their pros and cons.

Dark Green

Ya im gunna stick with the fuel injection... I just need to find an intake manifold and throttle body I've been on the hunt.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked On Birds
    Ya im gunna stick with the fuel injection... I just need to find an intake manifold and throttle body I've been on the hunt.
    You can use any square bore 4-bbl carb manifold with Holley's adapter. Holley makes 2" TBI units, too.

Dark Green

Really! Thats awsome now it wont be so hard lookin for my manifold. Thanks alot.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

One thing to watch out for, though. You've probably got centerbolt valve covers, so make sure the intake manifold you get specifies that it'll work for 87+.

Dark Green

Ok thats what my dad told me i need to find a manifold that fits 87+. I forgot about that. cool

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

The pic that markuz posted is of a holley TB, they probably make the intake manifold also...if not I know edelbrock does for sure. I had a 92 silverado with a 350 tbi and it was a great motor....wasn't fast but it did have a lot of low-end torque and never gave me any probs at all. Plus the motor is extrmemly easy to work on and mod.

I'd definitely stay with the tbi...the everyday driving characteristics are a lot better than a carb IMO

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I had a 91 Camaro RS w/305 tbi. It was slow but bueatiful car. I got compliments on it all the time.

Dark Green

ya people always smile and give me thumbs up when im out cruising around. And it seems to be a hit with every one at school. And the deans love all the black lines in the parking lot now!

red
    99 Firebird

For future inquires about TBI check out thirdgen.org not that this isn't a great site it's just on thirdgen there is a complete message board for TBI. Congrats on your car, I have a 92 Camaro 305TBI and it is a blast. I agree with 502CI the 305 responds well to some simple bolt ons. Its were I learned how to modify. Have fun!

Thread Information