Thread: taylor wires

taylor wires

im thinking of buying a set of taylor a set of spiro- pro wires there 8 mm i have msd 8.5 mm right now and i dont like how they fit plus i think one of them is bad what is the diffrence between 8mm verus 8.5s and if anyone else has used the taylors and how they fit and performed

White
    98 Trans Am

I use the Taylor thundervolt 50 wires...10.4mm, 3 layers of zimplex silicone and only 50 ohms per foot, which for the 6 inch ls1 wire is about 25 ohms---your MSD 8.5 have the same resistance rating. The Taylors perform great and do not falter under high heat conditions. They also fit very snug on both the coil and the plug. As far as the thickness goes, I'm pretty sure it's just for heat and rfi protection, although someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Excerpt from Taylors website:

Silicone Ignition Wire - 7mm, 8mm, 10.4mm
    Our experience in racing has proven that 100% pure silicone makes for the most heat-resistant spark plug wires. For the highest temperature conditions, use one of our 357 series, double silicone insulated wires.

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

Makes little difference on these short wires but there's a lot of good reading to be found on this website, we've used them for decades with perfect results:

http://www.magnecor.com

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

A Lot Of Hype?

I do not no how many miles are on your wires or if you are experiencing problems. I would not change them unless I happened to be doing the plugs and wanted to re-set the clock so to speak. As wires get a lot of miles and the continous hot/cold cycle plus environmental conditions under the hood (oil,grease,moisture, etc) they will need to be replaced. Ohms, RF leakage and reactance values are a bunch of sell/buy me hype. Any major wire company selling to an auto manufacture is going to supply a good reliable wire with an excellent track record. For what it is worth to you, I am a Ham Radio operator and have a fair amount of experience in the wire department. I have had some ugly wires pass a lot more voltage than a car will produce with excellent results. Unless your looking to re-set the clock or just a little bored consider a new mod. Just an opinion and good luck regardless.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

White
    98 Trans Am

I'm going to have to disagree with the ohms hype. Ohms is nothing more than a resistance rating, so the less Ohms, the more voltage/amperage there will be. Athough I agree, an explosion is still an explosion, but the more voltage and amperage that is supplied, the more violent and reactive explosion there will be, which equates to throttle response. The MSD (multiple spark discharge) systems being sold today have proven their HP ratings and I haven't heard a valid argument yet to counter this. Again, just my opinion and experience.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Crane Cams Fire Wire 8.5mm @ 25 ohms per foot.

Excellent product that only sets you back about $50.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Just my $.02, I have Taylor Thundervolt 50 wires like greenvilleTA; excellent fit and radio suppression. Since I changed out the stock plugs to NGK TR55 Iridiums I figured that I'd change the wires at the same time. Even if the wires weren't bad I changed them to save me the effort down the road since getting to the rear plugs / wires is a real b*tch, no sense in doing it twice.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Good Basic Information

This web site has what I think is a basic common sense approach on wires.

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/maintain/a...n_system2.html

thx for the replies nice link guy thx i was just doing some routine maintence plugs and wires i noitced that my car doesnt have those looms that your wires snap into i person before me must have yanked them out or something do you really need those things?if you do do you think lie autozone would have them and where and the hell would i put them on my car btw is a 00 ss

black
    2001 trans am

taylor wires are pretty good but i would go with granatelli wires check out the
    vid http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/video12.htm

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by cobra12345 View Post
    thx for the replies nice link guy thx i was just doing some routine maintence plugs and wires i noitced that my car doesnt have those looms that your wires snap into i person before me must have yanked them out or something do you really need those things?if you do do you think lie autozone would have them and where and the hell would i put them on my car btw is a 00 ss
    Looms just keep things nice and tidy, keeps your wires away from moving or hot parts. Mainly for looks, won't hurt performance any if you don't have them. You can buy aftermarket looms if you really want them. Since you have an LS1, you shouldn't need looms: the coil packs are mounted right above each plug and the wires are short, don't need to drape them across anything.
    Last edited by Fastcar; 01-06-2007 at 10:40 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot

Thread Information