M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Tapping sound...PLEASE HELP!

The other day my father and i took out the t/a and he noticed a new sound comming from the engine. He said it was a lifter that wasnt getting enough oil, so we stopped by autozone to pick up a bottle of marvins mystery oil and put some in and low and behold the sound was gone. So i go to take the car out today, and driving back home i hear it again. It only sounds at low rpm, like when its in 3 or 4 gear (A4) and you give it a little gas and you hear it. When i get home i pop the hood and i hear it when the cars just idleing, and it sounds like its coming from the drivers side of the engine towards the back of it, (i put my ear close to it and im pretty sure thats were its coming from). Its probably not noticable enough that the average person could hear it. Anyway, i rev it by hand just a little, like from idle to 14-1500 rpm's, and you here it increase and then it goes back down. I remebered reading on here that this mysterious tapping was a coil, but it only happened to higher mileage cars, my car only has 8600 miles!!! Could someone please help me, if i had to guess i would say its something in the valvetrain (valve sticking, rocker, lifter). Does anyone have any idea what this could be, please help!!

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

I forgot to add that i read the other threads on problems similar to this and the sound is very faint and does not increase with rpm's so im guessing its not a pushrod. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks again.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well now lets all calm down....your Dad and I would get along just fine...In the day we used MMO for just about everything from a stuck valve to a cure for herpes...wait a minute...we didn't have herpes....oh well....we used MMO a lot....now you say we have a 2001 Bird with 8600 miles on it...lemme see....8600/60=143 miles per month....hell man I walk farther than that getting beer out of the fridge.....OK....LS1's got the slap....not the clap...the slap.....but your deal is special...hell a LS1 ain't even broke in until like 8-10K...so what is the history here?......how long have you had this car? Lets start from the beginning before every Internet expert has you pouring Olive Oil down your pipes and rebuilding your engine....what is the history of this car? Where did you get it?

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Fuckin' aye man! My dad has taught me that MMO is the best shit out there for everything! Anyways, ive had the car since june, we bought it from plantation ford in ft. lauderdale from an older guy that had traded it in for an suv. The car had 7093 miles on it when we purchased it and it currently has 8659 miles. I havent even done an oil change to it yet. The salesman said he knew the previous owner personally and he knew it was well taken care of. As far as my driving habits i dont run the piss out of it despite the fact that im 17, i havent even run it at WOT yet cause im fuckin scared of it! Although my father has, and to tell you the truth the sound started after he ran it hard that day. But he doesnt abuse it, he just likes to enjoy it.
    Last edited by RAWPWR3; 11-16-2005 at 01:28 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Couple of things Son...LS1's piston slap/valve rattle and coil knock all to hell....it is the sound of a bad mother fucker......OK...now that we all have our dicks out....
    listen.....if it only has that many miles and the "salesman" knew the owner personally and used to do butt jobs together etc.....get that fucking oil out of there.....you got varnish and shit all to hell.....so lets clean it up....know listen...your always gonna have piston slap....piston skirts on these things are built that way so dont freak out...your always gonna sound like a fucking diesal truck.....be proud my man...be proud....
    OK.....Your in Florida...Welcome to the USA by the way and I'm glad your Pop's "business" is doing good enough to buy his kid a Bird.....enough....
    Get your car to operating temps....not your pecker...your fucking engine.....drain the oil.....listen..this is important....you buy anything that sez Fram and I will kill you....or Guido will kill you....he does most of my work these days anyway.....get a Mobil 1 or AC Delco filter...get 6 quarts ( Mebbe 7 as your bird may take 6 1/2 with a filter...check the manual...no not Manuel...the fucking car manual....) of Mobil 5000 Drive Clean.....Run that shit for 1500 miles.....change the filter and this time put in Pennzoil Platinum 10-30.....let me know......and by the way....get the dickheads at the Happy Days Oil Lube place to flush and fill your A4 and Rear End ( not your butt) with Amsoil or Royal Purple.....rear end should take 85-140...Royal Purple has the friction modifier in it so tell them Julio biatches to STFU and put it in.....let me know.....
    Again welcome to the USA......JFWY...
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Man all you old timers always have the fix on things. Man I got to get out to Texas and drink some beer with you Sarge. As far as your car man I wouldn't worry about it. These cars make wierd noises always. If I always worried about mine I would be a wreck. Just Drive It Like You Stole It!!!!!!!!!!!

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Um...yes, change the oil and filter - no Fram - use either 5w 30 as recommended or maybe 5w 40. Piston slap should not be present once it's warm, so if the oil change doesn't cure it, you'll want to check further. Check the wires and make sure they are tight also.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

You're fuckin' awsome man...thanks alot for the advice, i will definetly listen to someone with experience. Thats another thing i forgot to mention, i dont drive the car that often so maybe the fluids arent that great. And what exactly is piston slap, its always gonna have it you said right?Anyways, when i change the filter for the second time i leave in the oil from the first change right? Other than that, eveythings crystal! Oh, you gotta be crazy if you think im takin this thing to Jose's auto mechanic shop in sweetwater! I do all my stuff right here at home. Thanks again Sarge.

Yulian

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by BIG D's SS
    Man all you old timers always have the fix on things. Man I got to get out to Texas and drink some beer with you Sarge. As far as your car man I wouldn't worry about it. These cars make wierd noises always. If I always worried about mine I would be a wreck. Just Drive It Like You Stole It!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hey...2000 post...rule is first guy to 2000 buys all the beer and pigs feet at the LongBranch Saloon...let's go....

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Never mind sorry, i re-read what you said bout the oil. I gotta do the whole thing over again. Gotcha.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS
    Um...yes, change the oil and filter - no Fram - use either 5w 30 as recommended or maybe 5w 40. Piston slap should not be present once it's warm, so if the oil change doesn't cure it, you'll want to check further. Check the wires and make sure they are tight also.
    Good advise...these things "spit wires"....me and him gonna go to town over the 5-30 CAFE/EPA recommendatiuon though....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by RAWPWR3
    Never mind sorry, i re-read what you said bout the oil. I gotta do the whole thing over again. Gotcha.
    Good...I thought mebbe you was Zboner for a second....Special Olympics.....nice car your Dad got you by the way...all my Dad ever got me was fucking knocked out....say Hi to Robert DeNiro for me....let us know kid.....and by the way...Pecker Stains in the back seat? Simple Green will take them right out...and at 17 you should be dating girls that swallow anyway.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Ill check the wires also, as a matter of fact i ordered some MSD 8.5mm wires and ive had them for about a week now, ill probably chnge them out this weekend.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Why?

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

You're too much man! Thats awsome...but yeah my dad is super fucking cool, he only settles for the best. I love that man. And about the girls, you damn right they better swallow, i aint gonna have some chick mess uo my seats!

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Why about the wires? I dont know, i know they dont do anything and i shouldnt fix it if it aint broke, but i just wanted to tinker on my car a bit.

Thread Information