Thread: Tapping Noise

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Tapping Noise

I'm missing the front driver's side header bolt and I hear a tapping noise from that area. I'm pretty sure that it's from that area. I showed it the mechanic that fixed my rear end and he said he didn't see a leak in that area. If the bolt's missing wouldn't there be a leak there and could that be the source for my tapping noise? Does anyone know the correct torque so I can check the others and make sure they are ok. I have the locking bolts, but the tabs aren't on them.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Hell yes it is leaking there. I use 15-20 lbs. I also use anti seize. Heat cycle the engine a few times and retighten.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Thanks Bossman.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Hey Sarge, My '01 Z28 has over 100k miles on her, but she runs great. I've got long tube headers, cat-back exhaust, LS6 intake and SLP cold-air box kit. I've got the engine noise, but other than that she runs great. I'm currently running her with RP 10-40. I've read alot of your threads and you don't seem too impressed with the purple stuff. What would you recommend? I am probably average as far as driving habits. I get on her every once in a while and let her stretch legs, but I don't race or go to the track.

my ws6 eats rice gokillyourself's Avatar

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

it definetly is leaking

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you asked this a week or so ago didn't you? Just put the bolt in there and that'll tell you real quick if it's the source of your noise.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

I did. Didn't fix the noise though. Might be somethin else.

black
    2002 WS6

replace the gaskets, and see if you have leak between the collector and y-pipe

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you asked this a week or so ago didn't you? Just put the bolt in there and that'll tell you real quick if it's the source of your noise.
    the op IS dated a week ago. gokillyourself just decided to jump in yesterday. and orcus is right, every time i lost a header bolt it blew a littlebit of gasket out too.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    the op IS dated a week ago. gokillyourself just decided to jump in yesterday. and orcus is right, every time i lost a header bolt it blew a littlebit of gasket out too.
    I was actually talking about THIS thread but it's all good. I just wanted to know if he tried putting the bolt back in.

black
    02 vette vert

I was actually talking about THIS thread but it's all good. I just wanted to know if he tried putting the bolt back in.
    oops. just checking though, op is opening post right?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    oops. just checking though, op is opening post right?
    op= original poster....same thing.

I don't care that he had 2 posts ( although it would be better if he kept to the same post so all the info is in one place). I was more curious if he'd tried the other stuff before asking again.

black
    02 vette vert

op= original poster....same thing.

I don't care that he had 2 posts ( although it would be better if he kept to the same post so all the info is in one place). I was more curious if he'd tried the other stuff before asking again.
    i must have missed the first one.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

I didn't mean to post the same thing twice...sorry, I'm just a little worried about my ride that's all and there's alot of good info here. Like I mentioned earlier, I replaced the bolt, but didn't notice any change in the tapping/rattling. It does quiet down a little after the car warms up, but I can still here it espescially from the driver's side wheelwell. I want to start investing in some easier upgrades, but I want to find out what's up with the noise first in case I have to put my $$$ there first. The noise increases with rpm's and when I let of the accel. pedal it sounds more like loose marbles or a chattering noise. It also goes away when I'm driving when I push in on the clutch. I guess I'll have to change the header gaskets and check the Y-pipe like someone earlier suggetsed to rule the exhaust out before I go any further. I can't post a video until I get my recorder back Friday so I'm kind of at a loss and can't let anyone hear it till then. I'm a little more than nervous that this is happening.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, from your description it really doesn't sound like something I would get all worked up over. Just start chasing it down and you'll find it eventually. Can you get the car on stands so you can start it and feel around the flanges and stuff while it's cold to see if you can feel it leaking? That would at least let you chase it down and find exactly where it's coming from. Another spot to check is the a.i.r. pipes that stick up off the manifolds....there's a gasket there. Check and make sure it's not leaking.

Thread Information