Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

TA headlights not popping up after HID Install

I installed HID low beams and fog lights on my TA the other day and when I switch them on, the lights turn on but the headlights don't flip up. After a few times of turning the switch on and off, the headlights finally pop up. Do I need a relay? In other cases where relays are needed, it's usually the lights that don't turn on because they're not getting enough power. Is this the same problem but with the headlight motors?

Here are some pics for those who want to see

White
    1999 Transam WS6

I have HID on my fogs/lows also, and I never had your problem. The only time my headlights didn't come up was when the wiring harness underneath them got corroded. Are you sure all the wires going to the motor are connected right and not loose/corroded?
    Just in case you want to check the harnesses, they're located underneath the motor with a clip holding them onto the body of the car.

And, just so you don't piss off other people/get tickets for cops, I suggest pointed the low beams very low.... sometimes my fogs alone provide me with adequate lighting in most cases, but I usually don't run it that way.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Aetos View Post
    I have HID on my fogs/lows also, and I never had your problem. The only time my headlights didn't come up was when the wiring harness underneath them got corroded. Are you sure all the wires going to the motor are connected right and not loose/corroded?
    Just in case you want to check the harnesses, they're located underneath the motor with a clip holding them onto the body of the car.

And, just so you don't piss off other people/get tickets for cops, I suggest pointed the low beams very low.... sometimes my fogs alone provide me with adequate lighting in most cases, but I usually don't run it that way.
    Yup, I've pointed them down very low and did some test drives where i would be in my car and my brother would be in another to see if he gets blinded.

On the other hand, one motor was installed new right before the HIDs and the connector was very clean. Both sides worked perfectly before the install, that's why I'm so confused.

Thanks for the suggestion.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by adham View Post
    Yup, I've pointed them down very low and did some test drives where i would be in my car and my brother would be in another to see if he gets blinded.
    Hell yeah. THANK YOU. I hate being blinded by misadjusted headlight(HID or stadard ones). I applaud your extra effort there!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Hell yeah. THANK YOU. I hate being blinded by misadjusted headlight(HID or stadard ones). I applaud your extra effort there!
    haha thanks

Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

If the headlight relay doesn't see enough wattage draw it doesn't think the lights are on. HID's only draw 35 watts, not the usual 55 watts. This may be your problem!
    2001 SS - 430 RWHP 412 RWTQ
    6 spd, FIPK, Corsa exhaust, LS7 clutch, Dart Pro PP LS1 heads, custom 220/224 cam, Kooks LT's. Ported TB, Full suspension, C5 ZO6 brake upgrade.

Silver
    87 Monte SS

Did you have to splice into any wires around the headlights? These cars use a body control module to open and close the lights, and any splices in those wires can confuse the module.

Na
    NA

Quote Originally Posted by adham View Post
    I installed HID low beams and fog lights on my TA the other day and when I switch them on, the lights turn on but the HID headlight kits don't flip up. After a few times of turning the switch on and off, the headlights finally pop up. Do I need a relay? In other cases where relays are needed, it's usually the lights that don't turn on because they're not getting enough power. Is this the same problem but with the headlight motors?

Here are some pics for those who want to see

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    They look so nice.

Thread Information