Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    2001 RS Camaro

T tops leaking!!! HELP

Ok I just bought a 2001 RS Camaro and was detailing the inside and noticed the back floorboard behind the driver seat was squishy with water. The car had new window motors put in a few months ago and I can't tell if the water is coming from a leak in the door stripping or the T tops. The water is only in the back floorboard next to the center console. I've tried to trace the leak but it seems impossible to find. I'm worried that the water will short out my power seat and my under glow kit. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I had that happen gutted the interior and put some heat lamps to dry it out. Sat inside the car while someone sprayed the car with water to watch for leaks. Never found the damn leak!

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

The hatch back has been a problem for a few folks on here. You wasn't by chance on a hill with the nose down. Heard that happening b4

Navy Blue
    98-Camaro SS.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    The hatch back has been a problem for a few folks on here. You wasn't by chance on a hill with the nose down. Heard that happening b4
    Agree, you will get wet inside if your on a slope with the nose down as there is no drain in the channel of the hatch except to the backside.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 98CamaroSS View Post
    Agree, you will get wet inside if your on a slope with the nose down as there is no drain in the channel of the hatch except to the backside.
    Nope my driveway is level. I'm thinking that when the guy put new window motors in he didn't fix the trim around the driver door right cause where the triangular piece behind the door handle is the trim is supposed to be flush against the glass so I "think" that may be where it's coming from. But with any leak it's a pain in the ass to find the source!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I had that happen gutted the interior and put some heat lamps to dry it out. Sat inside the car while someone sprayed the car with water to watch for leaks. Never found the damn leak!
    I did this as well, for my trunk area though. Found some leaks in the seams of the sheet metal. RTV is your friend!

White
    2000 Camaro

Not to troll but they never made an RS in 2001.

I hate getting water in my car, my window regulator is all rusted because of it. Perhaps anyone you know with a heated garage?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If someone replaced the motors and removed the regulator to do it there could be and alignment problem. From the inside of the car can you see any light between the glass and the weatherstrip? Also take off your t-top and see to make sure that the weatherstrip is still attached and that the channel is clear.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    If someone replaced the motors and removed the regulator to do it there could be and alignment problem. From the inside of the car can you see any light between the glass and the weatherstrip? Also take off your t-top and see to make sure that the weatherstrip is still attached and that the channel is clear.
    That's what I'm thinking. The triangular piece at the edge of the door above the door handle isn't flush like its supposed to be but I won't know for sure until I hit it with the hose and try to trace the leak.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    Ok I just bought a 2001 RS Camaro and was detailing the inside and noticed the back floorboard behind the driver seat was squishy with water. The car had new window motors put in a few months ago and I can't tell if the water is coming from a leak in the door stripping or the T tops. The water is only in the back floorboard next to the center console. I've tried to trace the leak but it seems impossible to find. I'm worried that the water will short out my power seat and my under glow kit. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Well if your "underglo" kit is shorted, that would be considered a Pro of the leaking...wish I could help, but I have the joys of owning a hardtop...maybe you can sit in the car and have a buddy/friend hose your car down until the leak was spotted?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

also you can get dirt from rain water clogging the inside of teh stripping where the water chanels through... press your finger down on the stripping and keep pressure and run your finger from top to bottom of the stripping... i did this and it stopped the leaks on mine... if that isn't the problem the window alignment is off...

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Agreed on window alignment....Mine only leaks at a touchless carwash but after my WM install it changed from the front to the back of the window....

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

If your T tops are leaking, you may need to spray some silicone on the gaskets, they do shrink with age, and become brittle.

SteveC

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    Well if your "underglo" kit is shorted, that would be considered a Pro of the leaking...wish I could help, but I have the joys of owning a hardtop...maybe you can sit in the car and have a buddy/friend hose your car down until the leak was spotted?
    Well I've done that and I still didn't find the damn leak! The underglow hasn't shorted out yet but it will unless I find the leak. For now I rewired the underglow and moved the wiring harness so it would be away from the floorboard.

Black
    2000 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by OneSlowL36 View Post
    Not to troll but they never made an RS in 2001.

I hate getting water in my car, my window regulator is all rusted because of it. Perhaps anyone you know with a heated garage?
    they did
    SLP used take off mufflers from the z28's that were converted to SS's.

I think some got a hood/ spoiler etc.

but I guess you're right also, becaumse GM didn't make a 2001 RS

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Getzen_Guy View Post
    I agree, the hood glow is a nice touch.

anyway, have you found the leak yet?
    Not yet. Dammit!

White
    2001 RS Camaro

So I found the damn leak finally!! Turns out when the window regulators were installed the guy used screws instead of rivets to hold the window in place and all I needed was a window alignment. Glad that's over with!!!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Congrats did you get away with minimal carpet damage?

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Congrats did you get away with minimal carpet damage?
    Well I took it out in the rain today and drove about 20 miles and got out and guess what.....MORE WATER IN THE FLOOR!!!! So now I had to take it to a dealer and they're going to do a water test and more than likely replace the T top trim. I can feel the money flying out of my wallet as we speak...... So wish I had a hard top right now.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

There are several sites, i cant remember the name of this one, but it only deals with t-top stuff. anyway, they sell seal kits for f-bodies, they run about $150 i think, and its every seal youll need.

Thread Information