Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

T-top takes flight!

So this morning, on my way to get new tires, my passenger t-top decided to fly off my car on the 405 freeway and almost hit a mercedez! This was obviously my fault, as i forgot to latch the t-top after washing the car. After getting my tires, i went home and gave Brian a call at t-topsonline.com. He let me meet him later in the afternoon and i purchased a used t-top in excellent condition (and it was). He was a super cool helpful dude, and we chatted for a few minutes after i bought the t-top. So note to self, and every one of my ls1 brothers, DONT FORGET TO LATCH YOUR T-TOP!! and if you do forget too, like the dork i am, then give Brian a call at t-tops online, you won't regret it! Life, never a dull moment! hahaha...thanks for reading my thread, good day sirs!

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Sorry to hear it happened... glad no one was hurt.... also make sure your passengers know the handle is NOT an "Oh shit" handle.. lol, had a friend think that and before I could tell him not to touch it, there was a WHOOSH, and then an open roof.... but SOMEHOW, he was able to hold onto it at 80 miles per hour without it hitting the car... and this was on my 3rd gen where the ttops are heavier.... crazy.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I had that "oh shit" moment one time. Got home from a ride, and realized that the drivers ttop wasnt latched. It is easy to work inside the car if you slide it over onto the passenger one. And that is what I had done. Didn't lose it, but I got lucky is all.

Blackened fire chicken

i think thats exactly what i had said..."oh shit!" i tried catching it, but i wasn't quick enough...yeah luckily it didn't slam into a windshield and hurt somebody! definitely an expensive lesson learned...if any of my passengers grab that handle while I'm driving, I'm going to bitch slap them! haha

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    i think thats exactly what i had said..."oh shit!" i tried catching it, but i wasn't quick enough...yeah luckily it didn't slam into a windshield and hurt somebody! definitely an expensive lesson learned...if any of my passengers grab that handle while I'm driving, I'm going to bitch slap them! haha
    If the T-Tops are locked they can not turn the handle. They can grad it locked all the want..

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    If the T-Tops are locked they can not turn the handle. They can grad it locked all the want..
    Yeah, but I usually have the car running when I take them off/put them on... and too lazy to turn the car off to get the key to lock/unlock them.. etc.. Plus, 9/10 since I've moved here, they are off when I leave work. Love the nice weather here!

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
    Yeah, but I usually have the car running when I take them off/put them on... and too lazy to turn the car off to get the key to lock/unlock them.. etc.. Plus, 9/10 since I've moved here, they are off when I leave work. Love the nice weather here!

But but... You can lock them while in the car.. I tend to take mine off/on without the car running..

I never take them out, and they stay locked anyway. I somewhat know what a sick feeling that is however.....

Funny story, back in 84 a friend of mine bought a brand new Z28 with the 305 HO and T-tops. Neat little car. We hit the highway with some other buds, I'm in the back seat. Ed in the passenger seat looks up (obviously never being in a T-top car before) and says "hey what does this lever do?" And before we could say "no don't pull that.....!!" WOOOSH

That T-top must have soared 50 feet in the air. It was like slow motion as we watched it come down. When it hit the ground it actually bounced the first time, and we all smiled and thought "wow it's going to be okay"

Nope,,,,the second hit it shattered in a million pieces

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I never take them out, and they stay locked anyway. I somewhat know what a sick feeling that is however.....

Funny story, back in 84 a friend of mine bought a brand new Z28 with the 305 HO and T-tops. Neat little car. We hit the highway with some other buds, I'm in the back seat. Ed in the passenger seat looks up (obviously never being in a T-top car before) and says "hey what does this lever do?" And before we could say "no don't pull that.....!!" WOOOSH

That T-top must have soared 50 feet in the air. It was like slow motion as we watched it come down. When it hit the ground it actually bounced the first time, and we all smiled and thought "wow it's going to be okay"

Nope,,,,the second hit it shattered in a million pieces

yellow
    2004 gto

i was going down i20 east just past atl and saw a t top on the side of the road. i just had to laugh.... just the thought of going down the road all nice and quite then all of a sudden a gush of air comes in... hahaha.

the weather in cali is pretty nice. i just got back from working in ocean side. pretty great place, love the view.

Blackened fire chicken

that was a funny story ...guess i should start locking them. its a good way to remind yourself to latch the freegin thing!

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith564` View Post
    i was going down i20 east just past atl and saw a t top on the side of the road. i just had to laugh.... just the thought of going down the road all nice and quite then all of a sudden a gush of air comes in... hahaha.

the weather in cali is pretty nice. i just got back from working in ocean side. pretty great place, love the view.
    Yeah, its a great place to visit.. but I've learned its not the best place to live... <sigh>... Well.. to each his/her own.

Blackened fire chicken

just curious...why don't you like living in san diego? is it boring? asian drivers (haha)...??? btw, needing help with a suspension question in a thread i posted in the suspension forum

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    just curious...why don't you like living in san diego? is it boring? asian drivers (haha)...??? btw, needing help with a suspension question in a thread i posted in the suspension forum
    Well.. from where I grew up.. its extremely expensive... the people are generally not very personable... don't care for everything catered to our southern neighbors... the laws here suck... and its expensive.. (Yes I said it twice, cause its that bad.. lol)

Blackened fire chicken

yeah I've heard that about san diego, but l.a. is expensive too and the people aren't personable. you say hello to a stranger, they look at you like you're freegin weird.. they're also pretentious assholes, too many people and shitty drivers witch in turn causes awful traffic...i could go on, but i won't, haha...so i guess i feel you're pain bud! my baby's mama used to live out there, so i would have to drive out to san diego to pick up my daughter a lot...they live in freegin alabama now
    Last edited by godless-phoenix; 11-26-2011 at 09:17 PM.

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Oh don't get me started with Exs and kids... :-(

Blackened fire chicken

haha, don't worry man, i won't...

That's why we decided to live in AZ Some of the people are still A-holes however (migrated from Cali is my guess ). We still have family in Cali, so we visit frequently, but like you said Silver Streak, we wouldn't want to live there.

A good ending to that T-top story. He went back to the dealer and claimed they didn't latch the top while it was being dealer prepped. They gave him another one for free

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's why we decided to live in AZ Some of the people are still A-holes however (migrated from Cali is my guess ). We still have family in Cali, so we visit frequently, but like you said Silver Streak, we wouldn't want to live there.
    haha, yeah they probably did migrate from cali...i like arizona though

Thread Information