TWISSTED

RED
    00' Camaro SS/6spd

T-TOP Conversion???

Looking to convert my 00' hard top to a T-TOP.

Has anyone done this?
    If so,what is really involved?

Appreciate any and all helpfull input!

Silver
    2002 Z28

I remember seeing this on the forums a long time ago, prolly try to search, but it has definately been done before.

TWISSTED

RED
    00' Camaro SS/6spd

Thanks!I'll look around.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

pretty easy, I've done it. search google and find a sight called dw-zone or something like that, he has some good pics and a good walkthrough. There are many others out there also, if you get into it and have any questions, just come back here and ask me, I'll do what I can to help you out.

Blog Entries
    We can supply you with kits for conversion for the fourth gen. Camaro / Firebirds only. You will have to find a trusting body shop for this.

Brian

T-Tops Online

http://www.t-topsonline.com

TWISSTED

RED
    00' Camaro SS/6spd

Really appreciate the help guys!

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I would think twice before I did the Ttop mod. (1) They rattle(2)they weaken the car body.(3)they stand a good chance of leaking if they are done by and aftermarket dealer.(4) They cost if you get one broken.(5) just one more way for someone to get in the car.If I could have found a TA without T tops I would have one instead of the one I have now.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I would think twice before I did the Ttop mod. (1) They rattle(2)they weaken the car body.(3)they stand a good chance of leaking if they are done by and aftermarket dealer.(4) They cost if you get one broken.(5) just one more way for someone to get in the car.If I could have found a TA without T tops I would have one instead of the one I have now.
    Mine NEVER rattled, and I hate to break it to you but mine NEVER leaked, not a drop. You can't say that for factory t-tops. You worry about breaking one? Why not have windows at all then man? one mroe way for someone to get in the car? they gotta get in the window to get in the t-tops

pewter
    99 Trans Am

What I gave was something for him to think about before he made that move.I never said that it was going to leak, I said that their was a chance that they could. All the examples I gave was of what could be not of what will be.True yours my not leak but who's to say that he's don't.The pro's and con's need to be made clear. I have one in a camaro of mines and they leaks and I have never been able to stop it. so I was just letting him know what can be.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I agre -there are pros and cons. I had a 98 Camaro w/o t-tops. It was kinda cool having a hardtop-it was different, even had one couple ask me what kind of car it was-they didnt recognize it as a Camaro. The hard top didn't leak or rattle, the t-top does. Not all the time, it's not that big of a deal, but it does. It only leaks in a high pressure car wash, never any other time, but then again it stays in a garage the majority of the time, my hardtop car didn't. It'll rattle on uneven pavement, but you don't notice it most of the time, and it's worse in the winter when the seals are cold I guess. Anyway-it is nice to take the tops off, and there is nothing worse than having that hot girl wanting to go for a ride with the t-tops off and you don't have them! T-tops are cool-just wanted to point out the pros and cons.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

My t-tops never leak, or rattle. It came with a BMR welded subframe when I bought it used though, so I don't know what it would do without the extra support. Never had a car with T-tops till this one, and man do I love 'em. I will take them out at night and ride if it is nice enough outside.

Only thing I don't like is that when you go to a Wal-Mart or something, you are really tempted just to leave them out when you go inside. This leaves your valuables on the inside at the mercy of thieves.

Hotties love 'em too!
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

I'm with Roastem

I looove my T-tops and agree with Roastem. I passed on a pristine 2001SS because it didn't have T-tops and leather. I'm getting an alarm with a prox sensor so i can leave it open. We have had 100-112F weather here for the last week, so I have the covers on and tops closed because it is too hot. Cruising around at dusk with the tops off is the most fun I've had with a car in a long time. I don't think I would convert a hardtop car though. I'd start posting for a swap before going through the hassles and expense.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Mine don't rattle unless it's under 25 degrees out.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro Z28

I have 2000 z28 with factory t-tops and mine have never leaked and never rattle. I would never do the t-top conversion on a hard top camaro. Your just asking for problems. If you want a t-top car that bad, go out and find a car that already has t-tops.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I have 2000 z28 with factory t-tops and mine have never leaked and never rattle. I would never do the t-top conversion on a hard top camaro. Your just asking for problems. If you want a t-top car that bad, go out and find a car that already has t-tops.
    Teh conversion really isn't a big deal, it's SO easy. rip off the hardtop and it's almost all done from there. there are already holes and most of the channel

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I would think twice before I did the Ttop mod. (1) They rattle
    Rattle?? Mine are 8 years old and I've never heard a squeak or rattle out of them.

(2)they weaken the car body.
    Not true. They are no weaker than a hardtop car, because the T-bar is the same on both. The hardtops have non-structural sheetmetal and on either side of the bar, while the T-Tops just have glass. If you flex the car hard enough to blow out the t-tops, then the sheetmetal roof would be long gone as well.

(3)they stand a good chance of leaking if they are done by and aftermarket dealer.
    With proper installation and weatherstripping, leaks shouldn't be a problem. Not saying its not possible, but if the conversion is done right, it shouldn't really be an issue.

(5) just one more way for someone to get in the car.If I could have found a TA without T tops I would have one instead of the one I have now.
    If someone's going to break into your car, they're going to break into your car regardless of whether you have T-Tops of not. Smashing the side window and opening the door takes no more timethan smashing the T-Top and entering that way. In fact, I think the side window is probably easier to break. Set the alarm, park in secure areas, and if you catch anyone fucking with your car, shoot their ass

Spectra Red
    1984 Trans Am

The 4th gen cars were (finally) designed with t-tops in mind- which is why even the hard tops have the lump down the middle of the roof. This is why the t-top conversion is so easy on the 4th gen cars. t-top 4th gen cars are not weaker than the coupes.

The same can not be said for the second and third gen cars, unfortunately. These t-top cars flex more than the coupes. They were not originally designed as t-top cars and suffer as such.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Like what was previously stated -a car with subframe connectors would probably be stiff enough that the t-tops wouldn't rattle or squeak on. The other day I had the windows rolled up-it was hot out - and the t-tops were sqwaukin away. Part of the noise was the windows rubbing the weatherstripping, but rolling down the window didn't completely eliminate the noise. The other part of the noise was the top itself, maybe the latching mechanism I'm not sure. I had a hardtop for 4 years-I can tell you it didn't flex up there at all. This seems to imply that the hardtop car is stiffer in the top area, I don't see any other conclusion. I have already stated that i don't think this is that big of a deal to me-but I guess it might be to other ppl. Anyway--sportscar guys are looking for hardtop cars to take to the track in SCCA-maybe selling it wouldn't be that hard in the right circles.

Thread Information