Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

white
    2000 Camaro Z28

Synthetic Oil Question

I put Royal Purple synthetic oil in my car around X-Mas and its in need of a oil change again.

After I drain the oil and chang the filter, can I start using regular oil again?

My low oil light came on today at the drag strip and I still made a few 12 second passes. Do you think I did any harm to the engine and is the sensor that turns on the light accurate?

Thanks, Jason
    MTI Clear Lid (Free Ram Air Mod Raised Air box) Larger MAF Ends,K&N Filter, SS Exhasut with cut out, rear Lower control arms,smooth bellows,12.894@107.10MPH Dynoed 316 HP (Before RLCA and smooth bellows) 8.3.12 @86.86 1/8th mile 121,000 miles

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Why do you need to change the oil again if you just put Royal Purple in there at Xmas?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yeah that was an OLD wifes tale that once you run synthetic you can change back. No it won't harm anything to change......thinking
    Don't know why you would want to though.

On the light tip did you check the dipstick after the light issue?? If so did it read low..... The light isn't supposed to come on unless your 1 3/4 to 2 quarts low. That means it'll barely read on the stick showing you on "E".
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

white
    2000 Camaro Z28

ill check it in the morning, I hope its not too low cuz that means its using oil. I have put over 5000 miles on it since xmas, The car has never used exsessive oil between oil changes.

Whats the life of RP oil? Money is tight right now and I can not afford a full synthetic oil change

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

Dude, if you get any sort of oil system malfunction indication, turn it off immediately and figure out what's going on. Nothing will kill an engine quicker than lack of oil, especially if your racing and reving up to 6 grand.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

yeah, check your oil level. its probably barely on the stick. and as far as money goes-you can use pennzoil platinum. its full synthetic, good stuff, and its about the price of good dino oil. also, how many miles does the car have and is this your first go at using synthetic?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by tx77015ls1 View Post
    ill check it in the morning, I hope its not too low cuz that means its using oil. I have put over 5000 miles on it since xmas, The car has never used exsessive oil between oil changes.

Whats the life of RP oil? Money is tight right now and I can not afford a full synthetic oil change
    They told me 6500 miles out here in the heat. But it drastically shortens when it's driven hard all the time. I check it regularly and wipe dipstick on fingers. Pressing fingers together with pressure you can feel the oil. Also if it smells gassy then it's broken down from fuel and needs changed.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    yeah, check your oil level. its probably barely on the stick. and as far as money goes-you can use pennzoil platinum. its full synthetic, good stuff, and its about the price of good dino oil. also, how many miles does the car have and is this your first go at using synthetic?
    I dont know where you live but Penzoil Platinum is $6.00 a quart around here. Hardly call it cheap.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I dont know where you live but Penzoil Platinum is $6.00 a quart around here. Hardly call it cheap.
    Not to mention it's the dreaded "P" word........

White
    2001 Z28

Last month Pennzoil had a rebate program for its Platinum synthetic that worked out to $.99 a quart.
    Limit twelve qts per address. I used every address I had.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

its not that much here, but yeah, pennzoil platinum is good stuff, way diff. that pennzoil conventional.

Ross

Black
    2001 Camaro z28

On royal purple's website it says you can go up to 12,000, but i would only go 5.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    its not that much here, but yeah, pennzoil platinum is good stuff, way diff. that pennzoil conventional.
    Pennzoil conventional = WAX

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by firesilver View Post
    On royal purple's website it says you can go up to 12,000, but i would only go 5.
    when i was using royal purple i would go to about 5. i use mobile 1 now and i only go to 3k.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Quote Originally Posted by tx77015ls1 View Post
    I put Royal Purple synthetic oil in my car around X-Mas and its in need of a oil change again.

After I drain the oil and chang the filter, can I start using regular oil again?

My low oil light came on today at the drag strip and I still made a few 12 second passes. Do you think I did any harm to the engine and is the sensor that turns on the light accurate?

Thanks, Jason
    Did you check the oil or do you mean the change oil light came on?

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

thats a old wifes tale,i use reg pennzoil in all my cars.the 89 camaro has 210k miles on it and still runs like new.its one of the best oils you can buy.

where do people come up with crazy sheeet like this?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Rivi View Post
    thats a old wifes tale,i use reg pennzoil in all my cars.the 89 camaro has 210k miles on it and still runs like new.its one of the best oils you can buy.

where do people come up with crazy sheeet like this?
    Well you should talk to some more people that have worked in machine shops for years on this issue if you think that it doesn't cause problems. We can tell right away when a customer brings a block in the machine shop thats been a Pennzoil motor before they even tell us.
    They used a paraffin base for years in there oil. And paraffin= wax. So that would be your "wifes tale". Running "like new" has nothing to do with weather or not you have wax build up. It only kills it once the oil return holes get plugged.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I would never run Pennzoil dino.
    I have heard the Pennzoil Platinum is a GREAT synthetic. For the price it is great.

I am going to switch from Mobil 1 to VP myself.
    $55 for 12 quarts delivered to my door. Pure synthetic.

Sarge (thanks!!!) has basicly let us know about Mobil going to a basestock III with their apparent 100% full synthetic.
    Trying something different myself.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Well you should talk to some more people that have worked in machine shops for years on this issue if you think that it doesn't cause problems. We can tell right away when a customer brings a block in the machine shop thats been a Pennzoil motor before they even tell us.
    They used a paraffin base for years in there oil. And paraffin= wax. So that would be your "wifes tale". Running "like new" has nothing to do with weather or not you have wax build up. It only kills it once the oil return holes get plugged.
    old wifes tale!

Thread Information