Black
    2002 Trans Am Ws6

symptoms of a problem

What are the differences between the symptoms of a fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plug or spark plug wire issue. My new ta just started sputtering, almost as if it were flooded then randomly it will run normal. Any ideas on what to look at first? I dont feel like taking it to a shop and getting charged for all four and unfortunately i dont have the shop or tools to work on it myself. ( living in an appartment)

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Do you have a SES (service engine soon) or check engine light on? How many miles on the car? If you have alot of miles you might need new wires and plugs.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 02-07-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Black
    2002 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Do you have a SES (service engine soon) or check engine light on? How many miles on the car? If you have alot of miles you might need new wires and plugs.

No check engine light and it only has 62k miles. Though thinking back it did seem to be getting a little more rough at idle this past week...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Start by cleaning your MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner spray. do not touch the resistor looking sensor in it. just spray it to remove the dirt. Does the car has a KN filter? If it is dirty remove it and get you a paper one.

Try that and see if it helps. I will change the plugs and wires also. Clean your throttle body with some throttle body cleaner, change your fuel filter.

Once you clean the throttle body put it back together and connect all the electrical connectors.

These things are normal routine maintenance that you have to do and keep up with these cars.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Whens the last time you cleaned your MAF?

Do you use a K&N filter? IF so STOP, oil from the filter gets on your MAF, causing bad readings, thus making your PCM compensate for incorrect inputs. Wix Paper Filters have proven to be better then K&N.

When was the last time you fueled up? Was it a station you always use? Same Octane? Bad gas can cause the same symptoms. Get some fuel treatment/stabilizer like HEET and pour into take. Let it sit for 10 mins while shaking your car to move the fuel in the tank to mix it up. Start car and let it idle for a few mins, give a couple of revs. After a few mins of running, IF its bad gas, your car should be running smoother and return to normal.

Oh and if you haven't change your fuel filter you need to about every 30k miles.

If anything else see if you can get to Autozone or Advance and have them pull any codes and post here.

Black
    2002 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Start by cleaning your MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner spray. do not touch the resistor looking sensor in it. just spray it to remove the dirt. Does the car has a KN filter? If it is dirty remove it and get you a paper one.

Try that and see if it helps. I will change the plugs and wires also. Clean your throttle body with some throttle body cleaner, change your fuel filter.

Once you clean the throttle body put it back together and connect all the electrical connectors.

These things are normal routine maintenance that you have to do and keep up with these cars.
    yea i had a 1998 TA, drove it like a teenager... well i was, but i never had a wire and plug issue till 220,000 miles. At that time the fuel pump was going out so i changed that along with the filter. whatever was giving it problems was fixed during all the tune up repairs..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ncschall View Post
    yea i had a 1998 TA, drove it like a teenager... well i was, but i never had a wire and plug issue till 220,000 miles. At that time the fuel pump was going out so i changed that along with the filter. whatever was giving it problems was fixed during all the tune up repairs..
    LOL i guess you are lucky. I will not wait until 220K to change the wires and plugs. It's completly up to you I know they take some time to change. I will clean the MAF 1st and go from there.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you can also check your fuel pressure for about $20 and 10 minutes of your time. You can buy a pressure gauge at most parts stores and there's a schrader valve on the end of the drivers side fuel rail. Unscrew the cap and screw the pressure gauge in. That'll either confirm or rule out a fuel pressure issue like the pump and filter. Pressure should be in the 58 psi range.

Thread Information