Swap LS3 & 6 speed Auto into F-body

I've been doing some searching and can't seem to find any good info on doing the two units as a package.

But how hard would it be to take a 418ci (LS3) with the A6 from a new camaro and bolt it into my 2002 F-body.

-Has anyone done this?
    -Does anyone sell a package
    -Would it fit without moving or hammering anything
    And most importantly
    -HOW DO I MAKE THE WIRING WORK!! - Wiring and sensors are the one thing that still terrify me when it comes to cars.

I would like to do a very clean and reliable swap, the rest of my car is either now (or will soon be) nearly show quality. I want a big cube motor with lots of reliable power, but I don't want a hack job of wires and constant troubles plagueing me under the hood.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It would be a huge pain in the ass in my opinion. There is a company called Speartech that probably offers the swap or something similar. Google them and see what they have.

Metallic Blue
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

I just did and LS3 install in my 01 Z28, although I didn't get it from a camaro. All I can say is that it was easier than I thought. No banging or cutting, the only thing i did was buy and ls2 timing chain cover and Knock sensor extensions, and cam sensor extension. Other than that the motors are identicle on the outside. I used my 6 speed tranny built by Tick Performance. Another thing was injectors the new camaro's have a different injector but 40 bucks for adapters from ev1-ev6 from ford racing solved that problem.
    Hope this helps. If i were you id just use the motor and sell the tranny use the one u have. Unless it looks the same and has the bolts holes in the same place then i would say do it.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

^^^that sounds sweet!!
    Yeah the problem isn't with swapping in an LS3, the problem is with the 6L80e automatic transmission. Unless a company has come out with a solution for controlling that trans since the last time I checked, it would be easier to use the 4L60e or 4L80e or T56 manual.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_01_Z28 View Post
    I just did and LS3 install in my 01 Z28, although I didn't get it from a camaro. All I can say is that it was easier than I thought. No banging or cutting, the only thing i did was buy and ls2 timing chain cover and Knock sensor extensions, and cam sensor extension. Other than that the motors are identicle on the outside. I used my 6 speed tranny built by Tick Performance. Another thing was injectors the new camaro's have a different injector but 40 bucks for adapters from ev1-ev6 from ford racing solved that problem.
    Hope this helps. If i were you id just use the motor and sell the tranny use the one u have. Unless it looks the same and has the bolts holes in the same place then i would say do it.
    I am seriously considering this swap!!

What did you do for tuning with the PCM??

I sent an email off to speartech, as thier website seems to say they have this all sorted out. So far no reply.

My only reason for swapping the tranny as well as the motor, is that the old 4l60e simply doesn't have enough ratio's to satisfy me. I want 3 or 4 relatively close, steep gears for racing around and then a few more gears to get me into a good overdrive with low rpms on the highway. (at 72mph...that 115km/h where I'm from)

Metallic Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I am seriously considering this swap!!

What did you do for tuning with the PCM??
    I have played with the tuning on my own. I built the motor on my own, i'm a cheap ass that doesn't like to pay for labor. Anyway, i changed the displacement in the tune using EFI Live. I also played with the VE tables, it had a slight stuble from a normal take off, but i fixed that. I just need to tune for nitrous, and for that I will take it to get it done professionally bacause i'm afraid to tune the nitrous. As for the tune i have it runs 13.2 WOT and cruis at 14.8 on the highway from 70-80 MPH.

Metallic Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    I sent an email off to speartech, as thier website seems to say they have this all sorted out. So far no reply.

My only reason for swapping the tranny as well as the motor, is that the old 4l60e simply doesn't have enough ratio's to satisfy me. I want 3 or 4 relatively close, steep gears for racing around and then a few more gears to get me into a good overdrive with low rpms on the highway. (at 72mph...that 115km/h where I'm from)
    HMMM using and auto? I guess that can be done, i'm not much into auto trannys. I love my 6 speed, Although for racing at a track Auto's seem to run faster times, but the highway rides suck at high rpm. If you want to drive it on the highway for a few hundred miles i'd say 6 Speed!
    Thats just my 2 cents..

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_01_Z28 View Post
    I have played with the tuning on my own. I built the motor on my own, i'm a cheap ass that doesn't like to pay for labor. Anyway, i changed the displacement in the tune using EFI Live. I also played with the VE tables, it had a slight stuble from a normal take off, but i fixed that. I just need to tune for nitrous, and for that I will take it to get it done professionally bacause i'm afraid to tune the nitrous. As for the tune i have it runs 13.2 WOT and cruis at 14.8 on the highway from 70-80 MPH.
    Sounds good, thanks for the info.

Sounds like I would just have to purchase HPT and familiarize myself with the program in order to make it work. Not too bad.

Thread Information