Black
    2000 T/A WS6 Ram Air

Surging, Power Fluxation

**I posted this in an old thread, and it was suggested that I start my own thread since the old one wasnt getting replies.

00' WS-6, Ram Air, LS1, M6

Driving normally, hold the pedal still on accelleration, and the car doesnt have as much power as it should.. keep the pedal still, and the car will surge forward after it gets to about about 2500-3000 rpm..

Noticeably Surge Forward.. then continue on with the power it should have over 3,000rpm

The clutch was replaced, fuel filter, plugs, wires, TPS. This surging was happening before the above items were replaced, and its still surging.

Only codes thrown were quite awhile ago, and they were low-volt rear O2 codes.

Someone is telling me that it could be the cats clogged up.

This is the factory exhaust system and it has 75K on it, and I have a hard time believing that the cats didnt last past 75K.

Any way to check this, or see if that is the problem?

Im not beyond having an exhaust system put on it, but Id rather not do it as a "guess".

Thanks!

**just to reiterate.. is there a way to "check" the cats and see if they are the issue? I live in a state that just tests the OBD. I wouldnt want to spend $600 on an exhaust system only to find out its some damn sensor.. Thanks everyone

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

I have been having the same problem.......anyone?????????
    1998 Trans Am Vert, M6, Soon to be full of goodies......

me to drivers side cat

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

fluctuation, did you check the flux capacitor...?

j/k

my guess would be either fuel related or your cats. since you mentioned throwing O2 codes, i would check the cats first...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

Check with GM cause if it is your cats, they'll replace them free up to 80,000 miles and 8 years I believe.

Black
    2000 T/A WS6 Ram Air

Quote Originally Posted by thecorrectformula View Post
    Check with GM cause if it is your cats, they'll replace them free up to 80,000 miles and 8 years I believe.
    Yeah, I have that notice. Its 10 years, 100K if I remember correctly.. (its in the car). Ill get it up to a dealership and have them take a look. Thanks everyone!

White
    2000 Trans AM

I had the same issue with surging. My hand held throw a code of P0101 MAF Sensor. I got some MAF cleaner and sprayed it off and now the surging is gone. Its worth shot for $5 bucks, fixed my issue.

a faulty engine coolant temp sensor on my 98 z28 was causing surging just as you described. it was reporting the coolant temp as 40 below 0 lol.
    replaced it and the surging stopped.

Gold/Copper
    1998 Z28 Ragtop

Surging..... but slightly different

Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum having just got a '98 Z28. This might look long but i need to give you the history... Spent last two days fitting an aftermarket DVD/CD player in place of the original AC Delco (decifering what wire does what!!!) i found myself with a dead battery.. ( i might've put the top back up just on battery alone yesterday...) So, i jumpstarted her useing the part of the steel structure as earth/ground as i couldn't get a good bite on the earth bolt on the battery. Car started but the earth lead had slightly welded itself to the car, one tug and it was off.

Now i went for a run out in the car to charge up the battery as she is in to the shop tomorrow for a stainless custom exhaust. She is now surging... i am in drive and stopped at the lights, normal idle is about 800-900 rpm now she is fluctuating abou 200-250 rpm. Everything else on the car works, didn't check if i had full power available as it was rush hour. if i rev the engine, the revs come down very slowly. Also when the battery died i got a constant clicking from the passenger footwell, this would stop when the key was turned on even thought dead battery. My car is standard US spec.

Did I kill a sensor? or two? Any ideas guys. Where do i start? Finally is there any software available that will let me plug my laptop into the diagnostics etc.

Your help much appreciated, Saul

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

OP prob sounds like it could be the cats. Saul, sounds like you could have fried something, or maybe its just coincedence. how many miles are on it??

Gold/Copper
    1998 Z28 Ragtop

surging

Hi, 62000 miles, the cats should be fine, unlikely that jumpstarting would damage them as they are not connected to the electrical system. It would be one hell of a coincidence... If i disconnect the battery, will the ECU reset to factory default as with most Jap stuff? I am thinking 'cause i might not have had a good earth that i might have damaged MAF sensor or something that would effect the idle, it was very cold today so have not had a proper look under the hood. Also the CATs wouldn't effect the reving, i manually reved the engine with the throttle lever and the lever hit back to it's stops and the cable wasn't getting caught up on any thing yet the engine revs came down very slowly back to idle........ stranger things have happend at sea i know but.... should have stuck to old tech, it was usually pretty straight forward.

Saul

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

it is 120k not sure on years and my driver one was replaced btw 75-85k

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

no the cat prob is most likley with the OP's (Original Poster's) vehicle.
    yours sounds like you may have shorted something.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've jumped cars just the way you describe ( hot on hot, ground on radiator housing or something else metal) and have never had one weld itself. That sounds like a short.

Thread Information