Pewter
    01 Trans Am

Surging car driving me crazy??

Ok here's my latest and greatest issue. I floor the gas pedal the car takes off no issues but if I'm in traffic or crusing along steady at a traffic pace I'll notice the car will surge or lunge forward then back off? Almost like Im stepping on the gas pedal then letting off quickly over n over - but the pedal is steady - looks like I'm trying to immitate having hydraulics on the car somewhat emberassing? I notice it mostly does this in third gear around 30-35 miles per hour then seems to level off after that. However it has done it in first and second gear at even lower speeds lately though like it's getting worse? I wish whatever it was would just give out already. I have no check engine light on, and it is an 01 Trans Am 5.7L with a T-56. I am swapping the fuel filter out tonight so I'll let you know if that helps but wanted to get some other things to try. I have recently put a fidenza flywheel, and Z06 clutch as well as change all hydraulics, changed the differential rear seal and crush sleeve, changed the oil, and the water pump but it was doing this before any of these changes. Also live in the Fredericksburg area anyone with an F-body needing access to a lift short time contact me. But don't want your car in there for weeks while you rebuild the motor heh heh - then we talk rent... Got a used 2 post lift in the garage.

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

changed the fuel filter looked like a piece of grass was coming out the other end??? How did that get in there - hmmmm. I'll let you know the results tomorrow also decided to throw a can of BG-44 fuel cleaner in for added measure havn't done that yet but will tomorrow. 12 looksies and no replies guess I got the mystery mobile now???

could be 02 sensors

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

You think your surging is bad....drive mine.

Cammed?
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

try spark plugs... sounds simple but its a damn good possiblity.

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

I would think that but I just changed them not 10K miles ago with no problems afterwords? Drats I don't want to do that I'll double check my plug wires make sure there tight on there, thanks. surging stinks... Wondering if there was more grass in my gas that made it's way further in the line -hey that rhymed.... Grass was hanging out the fuel filter on the exit end - still wondering how that got in there.Oh and No cam in mine. Just aftermarket intake magnaflow catback got a knn filter but havn't put it in yet, and Baer rotors. Can the car throw codes and not set the SES light on? Wondering if maybe the cars giving warnings I can't see that a scanner might pick up on?

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

On the drive home today it did seem a little better, but still there got better the further I drove? Didn't run the BG44K yet but will pick it up this weekend. I did notice a small backfire when pulling into my neighborhood - so spark plug / wires definitely will be checked as well. I'll let you know if this is the cure for the issue but my son is in town as of tomorrow and this now takes a backseat. Time to go have fun - I'll keep an eye on this and do appreciate any other ideas to try when I get a free minute. Take care for now.

Black
    2000 T/A WS6 Ram Air

I know this is from 3/06, but Im having about the same issue.

00' WS-6, Ram Air, LS1, M6

Drive normally, hold the pedal still on accelleration, and the car doesnt have as much power as it should.. keep the pedal still, and the car will surge forward after it gets to about about 2500-3000 rpm.. Noticeably Surge Forward.. then continue on with the power it should have over 3,000rpm

The clutch was replaced, fuel filter, plugs, wires, TPS. This surging was happening before the above items were replaced, and its still surging.

Only codes thrown were quite awhile ago, and they were low-volt rear O2 codes.

Someone is telling me that it could be the cats clogged.

This is the factory exhaust system and it has 75K on it, and I have a hard time believing that the cats didnt last past 75K.

Any way to check this, or see if that is the problem?

Im not beyond having an exhaust system put on it, but Id rather not do it as a "guess".

Thanks!

Black
    2000 T/A WS6 Ram Air

SES Light came on again this weekend.. Haven't decoded it yet, but nothing out of the ordinary (aside from the surging).

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Gonzo....start up your own thread man. Probably get more help that way.

I agree with you though, get your cats checked out.

Thread Information