Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Thumbs down Suppliers here in Canada

Well, I thought it would be a simple thing to ask for...a water pump for a 2002 Trans Am with an LS1. I've got 48000 kms, and warranty ran out back in May. And now the rest of my story...

I ordered from UAP/NAPA auto parts, a rebuilt water pump that they had in their records for $149 canadian. I was quite pleased with this price over the GM price of $475 canadian for a new one. 4 days later they have the part in and I am pleased, as you can imagine, to think that in a couple of hours, I'll be cruising the streets warming that baby up...not so fast! It was the wrong part. I spent another day calling back and forth and they assured me that this was supposed to fit my car. I found a great picture on the carpartsdiscount website and printed it and delivered it to them...clearly a different part. In the end they said, "sorry, there is nothing we can do for you!" Now, I've already wasted a week with these guys...

Yesterday, my buddy, who is in the process of opening a new shop says he has a guy and the price there is $160 and it is brand new. Again, I'm all over that...part shows up today...you guessed it...WRONG AGAIN!!! I don't understand how such a simple request can get so screwed up!

If I had a good friend that would drop one off across the border for me, I'd do it at this point, but that's just wrong. It seems that parts are so much more available in the US. This drives me nuts. The car was built here in Canada and they can't even get the damn parts right.

Anyway, after all this frustration, my buddies "guy" is going to make another attempt to get one in for tomorrow and see what happens. I have now faxed him the picture of the water pump, and the original GM part number and said "FIND IT!"

This is surely more painful than what most have to go through to get parts for such a common setup! I'm losing my mind not being able to drive my car. So, I'm appealing to anyone north of the border to give me a good aftermarket parts supplier that knows what they are doing and have some knowledge of these cars. I wish SLP made everything...I'd spend a few extra bucks for a quality built part!

SladeX
    Where abouts are you? If in the GTA, PM me and we'll see what we can do for you as my car club has an arrangement with a few dealerships.

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Well, it turns out my water pump is actually okay. Stupid me was so sure that it needed to be replaced...it turns out that the problem is that either the gasket was bad, or the bolt on the lower left side was not torqued properly at manufacturing.

I removed the water pump, checked for leakage and the only sign was at this gasket. I put it all back together and topped up the coolant and so far so good.

Will see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

Thread Information