Thread: Supercharger

Pewter
    '00 SS

Supercharger

With these few mods, what else will need to be added or taken off if I were to get a supercharger? Also, what is the best supercharger I can get?

Lid
    Headers
    Y-Pipe
    LCA
    SFC
    Smooth Bellows
    Strut Tower Brace
    Drive Shaft Loop

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Depends what kit you get.

With a roots style blower, you would lose the lid, strut tower brace, and bellows.

With a Procharger, you would just lose the lid and bellows.

From what I've seen on here, the Procharger is the best you can get. Plenty of guys are very happy with them. They are quiet, install nicely, make huge power, and don't require running oil lines to the head unit since they are self contained.

Pewter
    '00 SS

alright thanks

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

There's a magnuson roots blower for the f-body out there somewhere. I've seen pictures of it used with the normal intake/lid. Some kits require a little cutting of the cowl to get it to fit, but I think there's at least one kit that says it fits with no cutting. I don't have a link off the top of my head, but I've seen it in past threads...

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

If you supercharge the engine, remember your bottom end of the motor (i.e. stock crank, connecting rods) are not strong enough to handle the additional horsepower, and sooner or later, you will need a new motor. I have read (in to many instances) on the message boards of motor replacements (along with transmission, and stock rearends), that with all the money spent, the person could have purchased a Z1 vette from the factory, with money left over.

JMHO

SteveC

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    If you supercharge the engine, remember your bottom end of the motor (i.e. stock crank, connecting rods) are not strong enough to handle the additional horsepower, and sooner or later, you will need a new motor. I have read (in to many instances) on the message boards of motor replacements (along with transmission, and stock rearends), that with all the money spent, the person could have purchased a Z1 vette from the factory, with money left over.

JMHO

SteveC
    that isn't exactly true... all depends on how much boost, how hard he runs it and how often he runs it... just like any engine with any mod.... there are a shit ton of stock bottom enders running around with no problems...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Over on tech they have a thread dedicated to Procharger/FI and how much boost people are running and what problems they have had over the years.

100% of the people running 8lbs or less have 0 issues. Some have been running that for nearly 5 years or longer.

It's when people run more boost (10+ lbs on a stock motor) where shit breaks. usually piston #8. I believe the ringlands go.

If you want to push more boost, yes, forge the bottom end and lower your compression.

Plenty of people run 8lbs though or close to and are fine. You just need to keep IATs down with an intercooler. You can also run meth to help.

beastly. keep us posted.

Thread Information