Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

SuperCharged Silverado Oil Viscosity

Maggie blower is going on the truck next week.....I'm sensitive to HT/HS and film strength on the rod bearings etc. added from the cylinder pressure. Looking for something around 3.3+. Would like to keep it in the 30 weight range if possible. Seems like the diesel oils can meet that HT/HS number. What oils viscosity are you blown/turbo guys running?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I run good ole dino Rotella with my turbo, 15-40 but my builder knew about it up front.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I've looked at Rotella conventional and frankly I can find much better add pack for less $$$. I mean hell the Valvoline MaxLife has better VOA than Rotella! Simply put....the forced induction crowd seems to go with Rotella but the HTHS is no more than some conventional 40 weights ( Shell refuses to post the HTHS numbers but must meet minimums for the CJ-4 diesel rating). What in particular led you to Rotella versus other 40 weights...conventional or synthetic?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

A friend of mine that I haven't seen in a few years (unfortunately) had a home built turbo setup for his SS and his brother worked for a lab here in Richmond that did some type of long-term testing on oils include long extended runs on load dynos for both passenger cars and large trucks. He had a lot of data, and his lab was independent. I won't even pretend to remember the details, but the gist of it was that the Rotella worked excellent in high heat conditions and stacked up against even the most costly alternatives. Also, the engines running in that state were very clean at high-life tear down. My turbo puts a lot of heat in my oil, and it makes me at least feel a little better

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

No doubt Rotella has a good HTHS and high detergency....in the past 24 months SM API ratings have made all oil manufacturers comply with what Rotella was 2 years ago....so it is a gold mine of choices out there now.....I really do not want to run a 40 weight ( rob horsepower/thicker to pump etc) and am looking at 30 weights. Did you know Rotella makes a 0-30 and a 5-30 ? But your right inasmuch as diesel oils do offer high detergency and HTHS. Thanks for posting.....

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

It has been in my engine for about 2 and a half years and it has had an extremely hard life. The next setup may well be something different but my build was on paper 100% before it began and it was seen through in the same form. I had planned before the engine to be running Rotella.

The next build will most likely be an LSx in the small 42X to 43X inches and twin 67s and see a lot of driving and the same kinda high oil temps. What should I be looking at for a setup like that? Oh yeah, if it matters, lots of methanol under boost.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

my dad uses mobil 1... 5 30...
    Last edited by Spaz; 07-27-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    It has been in my engine for about 2 and a half years and it has had an extremely hard life. The next setup may well be something different but my build was on paper 100% before it began and it was seen through in the same form. I had planned before the engine to be running Rotella.

The next build will most likely be an LSx in the small 42X to 43X inches and twin 67s and see a lot of driving and the same kinda high oil temps. What should I be looking at for a setup like that? Oh yeah, if it matters, lots of methanol under boost.
    Yeah I'm installing the Labonte meth kit next week myself.....I think lots of high performance folks utilized Rotella with great success in the past....I did....I really like the 5-30 diesel oils myself...less drag and same protection/cleaning add packs found in the 15-40's. Also the SM rated stuff today is killer. I've researched Amsoil 5-30 HDD Amsoil 0-30 SSO and find either one more than capable....PP 10-30 is in the mix as it has 3.1 HTHS and has delivered great wear results.....Valvoline MaxLife 10-40 is some stout stuff....but a 40 weight.....and of course the Rotella Synthetic 5-40 is a runner.....I'm still researching.....
    With the new cam setup going in next week I'll break her in on Castrol GTX 10-30 and stay out of the throttle ( best I can) for a couple of hundred miles....drain it and run one of the above for a 1000 miles and send the sample in and start testing with UOA's.....
    Right now I think the Amsoil 5-30 HDD ( diesal) is the top dog from a HTHS and TBN percpective....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    my dad uses mobil 1... 5 30...
    It is Mobil not Mobile Spaz
    Last edited by Spaz; 07-27-2008 at 04:06 PM.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    It is Mobil not Mobile Spaz
    don't know what you're talking about...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Yeah I'm installing the Labonte meth kit next week myself.....I think lots of high performance folks utilized Rotella with great success in the past....I did....I really like the 5-30 diesel oils myself...less drag and same protection/cleaning add packs found in the 15-40's. Also the SM rated stuff today is killer. I've researched Amsoil 5-30 HDD Amsoil 0-30 SSO and find either one more than capable....PP 10-30 is in the mix as it has 3.1 HTHS and has delivered great wear results.....Valvoline MaxLife 10-40 is some stout stuff....but a 40 weight.....and of course the Rotella Synthetic 5-40 is a runner.....I'm still researching.....
    With the new cam setup going in next week I'll break her in on Castrol GTX 10-30 and stay out of the throttle ( best I can) for a couple of hundred miles....drain it and run one of the above for a 1000 miles and send the sample in and start testing with UOA's.....
    Right now I think the Amsoil 5-30 HDD ( diesal) is the top dog from a HTHS and TBN percpective....
    why not a half and half mix???

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Dont like mixing add packs/VII etc. Like mixing Old Number 77 with Crown Royal.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Dont like mixing add packs/VII etc. Like mixing Old Number 77 with Crown Royal.

never thought of it that way...

Post A few thoughts...

Maggie blower is going on the truck next week.....I'm sensitive to HT/HS and film strength on the rod bearings etc. added from the cylinder pressure. Looking for something around 3.3+. Would like to keep it in the 30 weight range if possible. Seems like the diesel oils can meet that HT/HS number. What oils viscosity are you blown/turbo guys running?
    Well Sarge, this is an interesting challenge. For one, I don’t really know the year and engine specs of your Silverado. Is it a stock run of the mill 5.3? Knowing you, probably not, lol. I think you’re right for wanting to keep the oil weight down around 30 which is probably what your engine is designed for.

The High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity numbers for the Amsoil HDD and SSO are close to each other at 3.4 and 3.2, which is right there for the specs you are looking for.

The SSO has a TBN of 13.2 which is over one full point greater then the HDD.

One word of caution in regards to the HDD, it has one of the highest concentrations of ZDDP in the Amsoil line which is awesome if you have a flat tappet cam. But if I had to guess, you’re running a modern roller cam and have cats on your truck. So you may want to take that into consideration.

Hum? Makes me wonder what grade oil Chevrolets brightest decided to use in the trick new Supercharged LS9?

I’ll keep this in mind and ask around to some of my other oil junkies…

CompSyn

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

2007 1/2 5.3L variable valve timing ( cuts off 4 cylinders at cruise which we will disable)..other than that she is as stock as your Grandmas panties.....

Thumbs up Amsoil ACD...

Sarge, one of my information sources recommended the Amsoil ACD for your application. Have you looked into that product yet?

The HT/HS is in the 3.4 to 3.5 range and you’ll love this, no viscosity index improvers! It’s also actually recommended for supercharged/turbocharged engines.

Read more…

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
    AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30/SAE 30 Diesel Oil (ACD) is formulated with premium synthetic base oils that exceed both 10W-30 multi-grade and SAE 30 straight-grade viscosity requirements for outstanding performance in modern and older diesel engines. Unlike conventional SAE 30 motor oils, AMSOIL ACD has a naturally high viscosity index and does not contain paraffin (wax). It has a -36°F pour point and qualifies for SAE 10W, making it an “all season” multi-grade lubricant with a wide operating temperature range. AMSOIL ACD is formulated without viscosity index improvers (VI). This shear stable formulation stops viscosity loss and associated bearing and cylinder bore wear. AMSOIL ACD contains premium additives with a high 12 TBN to neutralize acids from blow-by, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and high sulfur diesel fuels. It protects against damaging piston deposits, ring sticking and sludge.

APPLICATIONS:
    Where these viscosity grades are specified, AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30/SAE 30 Diesel Oil (ACD) provides outstanding performance as a straight-grade SAE 30 for older two- and four-stroke diesels and as a multi-grade SAE 10W-30 in modern four-stroke diesels as well as gasoline engines. AMSOIL ACD is ideal for use in a wide variety of light and heavy-duty applications, including agriculture, off-road construction, trucking, mining, industrial (pumps and generators) and personal automotive or commercial transportation. It is recommended for use with low or high sulfur diesel fuels in standard, turbocharged or supercharged engines, all off-road engines and pre-2007 on-road engines.
    • SAE 10W-30 performance without VI improvers
    • Cost-effective replacement for conventional oils
    • Excellent shear stability
    • Outstanding wear protection
    • Superior protection over a broad range of operating temperatures
    • Extended service life with oil analysis

PERFORMANCE:
    AMSOIL ACD is recommended for diesel engines and other applications requiring any of the listed worldwide specifications and gasoline engines requiring API SL, SJ, SH... or ACEA A3.

Amsoil ACD link

CompSyn

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Is this going to be your daily driver?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

2007 1/2 5.3L variable valve timing ( cuts off 4 cylinders at cruise which we will disable)..
    ahhh sarge guzzling more gas then Paris Hilton guzzles co.........*cough*

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Is this going to be your daily driver?
    Yes

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

PP Ftw
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Thread Information