Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Stripped Spark Plug hole

It is stripped inside the head. I went to change my spark plugs the other day and somehow the 3rd one on the driver side got stripped when i was removing it.. I put it back it but it is stripped and angled a little different than the rest. The car runs good no hiccups no misfire codes so is it something i should worry about for now?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Well if its now cross-threaded in there good and tight it'll probably be ok for a while. If not, then it may start to loosen up and eventually pop out. Then you'll need to fix it. There are specific spark plug helicoils and taps sets that can get you fixed up. Worst case scenario, you'll have to replace the head. 2nd to worst case scenario, you'll have to pull the head to get good access to helicoil the hole.

Blue
    02 Firebird Transam

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Well if its now cross-threaded in there good and tight it'll probably be ok for a while. If not, then it may start to loosen up and eventually pop out. Then you'll need to fix it. There are specific spark plug helicoils and taps sets that can get you fixed up. Worst case scenario, you'll have to replace the head. 2nd to worst case scenario, you'll have to pull the head to get good access to helicoil the hole.
    Pretty much what was just said. Helicoiling it will fix it but I'd bet anything you'll have to pull the head to do it. If it's tight enough to hold you may get away with it for awhile but at some point you're gonna have to fix it.

Dan

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty"....Thomas Jefferson

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    It is stripped inside the head. I went to change my spark plugs the other day and somehow the 3rd one on the driver side got stripped when i was removing it.. I put it back it but it is stripped and angled a little different than the rest. The car runs good no hiccups no misfire codes so is it something i should worry about for now?
    HeliCoil that pig or she is gonna spit that plug or worse shatter it and bust the piston. And of course you will be 100 miles from civilazation when it does. Did you put anti sieze on it before you put it in?

I was going to mention the anti-sieze. It's your best friend, especially aluminum heads. It's not that uncommon to pull the threads out when removing the plugs. The thought makes me cringe. Hope you get it worked out.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

You will definately know it if plug gets spit out,5.4L Ford trucks and suvs had this problem,makes a hell of a racket especially inside a garage! Silver lining-good excuse for some AFR heads!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Ok thanks guy i remember the helicoil thing now from another thread like this. Yep i put anti-sieze on it and its in there rpetty darn tight. I went to the track tonight and everything seemed normal, except for a ton of wheel hop, lol. I will probably end up pulling the head later down the road and re-threading it. Thanks again

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    You will definately know it if plug gets spit out,5.4L Ford trucks and suvs had this problem,makes a hell of a racket especially inside a garage! Silver lining-good excuse for some AFR heads!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I have heard that racket up close. LOUD AS HELL.

Thread Information