Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RED
    1996 Camaro ss/z28

Street wheels and Tire combo

I have a 96 stroker Camaro with lots of power. Im breaking it in this week on the dyno. All I have are my stock wheels and my weekend specials for the track. I do not want to but running around on skinnies and drag radials just to hook up in the street.

What are some of the wheel / Tire combos you guys have used in the streets??
    I was thinking 18 all around 7in front / 10.5in back

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by F3ARL3ss96 View Post
    I have a 96 stroker Camaro with lots of power. Im breaking it in this week on the dyno. All I have are my stock wheels and my weekend specials for the track. I do not want to but running around on skinnies and drag radials just to hook up in the street.

What are some of the wheel / Tire combos you guys have used in the streets??
    I was thinking 18 all around 7in front / 10.5in back
    I think x7's are a tad bit skinny for the street. I'd suggest a minimum of x8's but I would lean towards x9-9.5's. You are still going to want good grip in the front for braking and turning.

RED
    1996 Camaro ss/z28

x9.5 Front and x10.5 Back , sounds good to me...I just don't want to spin them off at the stop light next to some one and play catch up. I want to be able to harness all the RWTQ.

I wont be doing that often but do what traction at high speeds time to time on Long distance road Races
    Last edited by F3ARL3ss96; 09-12-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Your brand of street tires will dictate what wheels you'll need.

RED
    1996 Camaro ss/z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Your brand of street tires will dictate what wheels you'll need.
    I agree but what wheel/ tire combos have most of you guys had great luck with

Not type of rim; just size that will fit in my car for best results

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What kind of power? NO street tire is going to hook off the line on regular pavement. I did run a Nitto Drag Radial in a 17x9 and it worked well for about 12,000 miles. It still spun hard off the line, but I dead-hooked shifting into 2nd and 3rd. I have about 500rwhp.

Now that the Nitto's are done...I upgraded to big boy tires...Mickey Thompson ET Street.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am still waiting for someone to try the Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires to see what they think. Our car will need some new sneakers within the next year or so.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've ran both mickey's and nittos on mine. They both are as advertised. The mickey's hook better but get you about half the mileage or less. I currently run nittos mainly because I haven't had a race on the street in like 4-5 years.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Interesting choices on tires. I guess it really depends on what you want out of the car. Me? I am looking at some Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but I do not know how they "hook up" off the line. Though I do know they are all the rage as far as street (aka "summer") tires go. Failing that, I might go for the Michelin Pilot AS/3s which are an upgrade to what I have now in all ways, but not quite as good as the super sports in "handling" (according to the mfr).

Like the OP, because of my choice of tires, I will need to replace the wheels on my car, since my current set are not supported in modern tire sizes.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

About 8 yrs ago, I was using the BFG's drag radials. They did pretty well at the track, decent on the street, and got pretty good gas milage. This was also back when I only had about 380RWHP. I didn't run them all year long, but did for most of the summers. My next set will be the MT et streets I think now that I have up the power level a tad with the blower.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I am going to need to figure out this as well or rather just what tire to run when my car is back up and running that is. Right now I am running BF Goodrich KDWs on 18x9.5 and 18x11 wheels with 275s on the front and 335s on the back. My car should be around 700 hp at the engine so probably close to 600-620 rwhp. I was thinking of getting Nitto NT555Rs but that is mainly because I don't know if anyone else makes competition tires that you can drive on the street in a 335.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

They should work pretty well for you on the street if your suspension is tuned well. You definitely won't like them at the track though.

Black/ Silver

After I use up my current tires I may go down to 315s if that would open more options especially if Mickey Thompson makes any tires in that size.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

They do.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would venture to say that a mickey in a 315 will hook better than a bfg in a 335.

Black/ Silver

That is probably what I will get then once I use up the tread on these.

RED
    1996 Camaro ss/z28

Lots of info and real world exp. Thanks everyone for their effort. A buddy of mine said, You cant go wrong on the street with the 18 x 9.5 in the front ; and 18 x 11 back, It will fit well on my Fbody.
    I see 98TransAM numbers/ combo and Im leaning towards Nittos NT555R's Out back also.

Thanks Again For the help.

Any others with Real life solutions post here plz , ill check back here for sure

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm not sure how well or not they'll (Nittos) work with his power level and suspension setup. They worked "OK" for me, but I also have LCA's, a Trak Pak (torque arm), PHB, etc. with a mild 620hp at the crank. Helps to have the tires planted well.

Personally, I would not run them again, especially if I up'd my boost to have more power. It was dangerous driving the car if it wasn't 80+ and sunny. When you are going 60+ mph and downshift and floor it and feel the ass end come loose wasn't much fun lol.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

On the contrary, I like when i am going 60 and nail it sideways! It's fun, BUT you gotta know how to drive. If you don't have the skill or confidence, you shouldn't be doing it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    On the contrary, I like when i am going 60 and nail it sideways! It's fun, BUT you gotta know how to drive. If you don't have the skill or confidence, you shouldn't be doing it.
    True...but on the contrary again, traction wins races

Thread Information