Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Stock LS1 vs WS6 Air Box

Does anyone know the difference between the lower air box on the stock LS1 vs the WS6? Is there a larger opening?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

same lid for both, the difference is how high the bottom tray sits. The stock one sits lower and the ws6 one is higher.

Both take air from underneath the car via the air damn (the long plastic thing underneath) It directs air up through the radiator.

Very little air flow will come through the front.

You can use the stock tray on both ws6/non but you can not use the ws6 tray on a stock non ws6 hood.

Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

If I'm adding a ws6 hood, would I benefit from ws6 lower lid? I have a cold air intake.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

If you seal the hood to the lower box, you'll benefit.

Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Would you mind elaborating?
    2000 Trans Am - Sold
    BBK LT's, ORY, SLP LM2, SLP Cold Air Intake, Wide Band O2, American Racing Torq Thrust 2's, Founders STB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets, Adjustable PHB, BMR Lowering Springs. Deleted AIR & EGR & Tuned By Frost. 1 of 23 MRM with options.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Stock

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Just put some foam on the hood to make it a smooth transfer from the hood to the airbox.

Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Got it, thanks for the picture too!

Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Next question, is it worth spending the $200 plus for the lower tray? I can only find the full assembly and they want $200+ for them...

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by bhunter0830 View Post
    Next question, is it worth spending the $200 plus for the lower tray? I can only find the full assembly and they want $200+ for them...
    No, get the Chrs1313 Ram Air...it's the same price and apparently gives better gains.

Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Is there any difference between the Chrs1313 Ram Air and the SLP? I already have the SLP installed.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Chrs1313 is offered in two styles...AC delete and AC retention. The AC retention is the same as the SLP one, but the AC delete one is over twice the size of the AC retention ones. If you want to keep AC, just keep what you have, but if you want more flow, delete the AC and get the bigger ram air. I actually just bought the bigger Chrs1313 and plan on running it with my stock WS6 air box. I need all the air I can get, but I'm running a 427ci over your stock motor. i think you'll be fine with the regular lower air box and the SLP ram air. If you want the WS6 air box, just keep an eye out for a good deal to come along.

Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the help and I'll keep my eye out for someone cleaning out their garage. I'm not paying the $200+ ebay cost!

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

I just installed a ws6 lower tray the opening is 2 times the size of a nonws6 tray. I also just installed a Super Hawk hood from U.S. Exocits, Full Ram Air hood, when you look in the front opening it is a direct shot into the air box. Now your getting cooler air in to your motor not hot air up from the road surface past the hot radiator then into the box. If you are looking for a hood I would suggest looking at the one above, He sells them on EBay and they are a quality piece. Fittment is great and Roger is awesome to work with. As for my lower tray I found one on Tech and worked a deal for $130 shipped
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

I already have a hood my wife picked up from a buddy for our anniversary. I just need the lower lid. However i will keep that in mind! I'm going to begin a new build this fall.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

black
    1998 trans am convertible

I KNOW THIS IS A OLD POST. BUT WAS THIS EFFECTIVE. if so how thick was the foam? how was [glue!] this attached. did engine get enough air under all driving conditions. recently added ws6 hood to my 98 ta vert. looking for ram air box and looking at all options. thanks in advance for your response.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

To do what you saw in the photo with the hood scoops opened up you will first need to remove the baffling that is there from the factory. It is mostly held in place with a very firm glue and a couple of rivets along the edge. There is a kit called the JAAM Ram Air kit from JAAM Engineering that is now being sold under the Fast Toys Performance label through WS6store.com. I thought this kit was gone but a quick search turned it up at a better price than it was previously offered. Essentially it requires you to debaffle (remove the glued in guts) the hood scoops, then install a diverter plate in front of the intake across the open space where the washer bottle sits (actually looks really nice and clean) and attach foam that would directly connect the WS6 scoops to the inlet of the WS6 air intake. There are claims of improved horsepower but concerns about getting water in your intake if you drive in the rain. You can pretty much do the same thing with a little creativity but for the price it might be worth the bucks to buy the already built kit. At least you can look at the WS6 Store web site to see JAAM Ram Air kit to decide if it is something you want to tackle. Really not hard to duplicate on your own. One other note from the original JAAM instructions that I remember is that you should not run both their JAAM system and the below the air cleaner box scoop that SLP and others make. The issue was that air coming from two directions would cause the flow to be very disrupted and negate any gains from directly pulling air through the hood scoops.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Thread Information