Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Still Not Running

Got Spark, All Fuses are Good, Spark plugs are slightly wet and smell of gas. Car just turns over but wont start. I am not getting gas at the small check valve on the fuel lines going into the rail, I push down on the little pin and nothing happens. I can hear the pump turning on and priming in the tank?? Anybody?
    Last edited by BADASS2000SS; 12-28-2008 at 10:55 PM.

Midnight Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

how long did you try to crank it over and has the car been sitting for a while? also, can you hear your fuel pump turn on?

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Ran the car yesterday...backed it in the driveway and turned it off. Next day, it just kept turning over. I can hear the pump turn on and prime. No fuel at the schrader valve though.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

You either A have a blockage or B the fuel pump/regulator is going out. Changed the filter?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

have you put a pressure gauge on the rail yet? should have ~58psi at the rail

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

No but I am pretty sure I have NO pressure on the rail. I am supposed to have pressure and fuel coming out of the schrader valve correct? I have nothing coming out of that thing. I am replacing a relay and my filter tomorrow. I will go from there! You guys are great and thank you for the ideas and help. Keep it coming please.
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would invest in a pressure tester and check your fuel pressure. Make sure you get one with GM fittings. I bought one from a parts store here several years ago that has multiple fittings with it for ~$20. It's beginning to sound like your pump is dead if you're hearing it prime but getting no fuel at the rail but by all means check that filter first since it's way cheaper.

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Replaced the fuel filter and a relay today. Still no fuel at the schrader valve. I turned the car on and off three times to build pressure. After I did that, I went back down to the filter. When I went to unhook it from the clip side, a ton of pressure and fuel blew out at a hundred miles an hour all over me. Its building pressure and moving gas to the filter, just not all the way up. From there I checked several different points along the fuel line and got gas where ever I unhooked it. I did buy a fuel pressure guage today but could not find where to screw it in. The numbers on it only when to 15 so I am pretty sure I bought the wrong one. I am getting really frustrated and cant take the car anywhere because I does not run! I hope you guys have some better ideas.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep, you have the wrong gauge. It should go up over 60psi and it'll screw right into the schrader valve on the end of the fuel rail.

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

That makes sense. I can tell you though there is no presure there. I push down on the pin and nothing comes out! I dont know how, but I am beginning to think there is something cloging my lines.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Well here is what I would do, grab a buddy/girl/etc and take off the fuel filter and turn the key over for a sec and see if it gives you a bath.. if not its the pump. if it does.. its the filter or a clog

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Don't they make a fuel line cleaner that you can snake into the fuel line (after the filter) to try and forcibly unclog your lines?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

If he has a clog and its not the filter I would get some really thin mechanics wire, ive had to do that before on vehicles that set for a couple of... decades? lol

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

I had run the car the day before this started, it ran fine and only sat over night. The next morning I got this problem. Also, I just filled the tank that day I drove it. Its still full, not like I am sucking up shit from the bottom of the tank! I know for sure its getting pressure and gas to the filter, from there, I have no clue whats going on. I do know that the gas is not making it to the schrader valve!

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Pewter
    '00 TransAm WS/6

This is for a '00 SS, right?

The fuel system layout, from the back to front (from memory, so my apologies for mistakes)

1) Pickup (bottom of tank)
    2) Electric pump (inside tank)
    3) Fuel pressure regulator (inside tank)
    4) Steel line to the fuel filter (drivers side, underneath)
    5) Fuel filter
    6) Steel line to the drivers side fuel rail (with schrader valve at the front)

Now when you disconnect the filter, have you tested at both sides? Like, leave the supply side on, disconnect the engine side, and see what happens. It should spray. If not, the filter is plugged.

You could pull the schrader valve on the fuel rail, and put compressed air to the line just past the engine side of the fuel filter. Have someone in front, but NOT standing in front of the hole, watch for excess fuel to spray out, and air to blow out. If this doesn't happen, I can't think of any other pieces in between, so maybe the fuel line got squished by something. Start hunting. If you really believe it's an obstruction, and blowing air from the back to the front didn't help, do the same from the front to the back. Do NOT blow air through the filter, you'll likely backwash whatever has been collected back into the tank.

I've read warnings about using compressed air on the fuel system, so make sure that you're just testing isolated pieces of line, and not anything important. Then again, when I was testing for a mystery fuel system problem, I put air in at the fuel line schrader valve, so I could be sure I could hear bubbling at the tank. That was with a fresh filter, so I wasn't as concerned about debris.

You could have caught a rock or something and crushed the fuel line, but it would have had to have been right before you stopped. Our cars don't run very long with no fuel pressure (like, really not very long).

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm not sure the pressure required to blow out the shrader valve but I would replace that fuel filter and get a gauge on there to verify it. You're just chasing your tail until you know for sure what your pressure is. What if it's 10psi? That's enough to come out at the filter but I'm not so sure at the shrader valve what you would get.

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

I hear ya. I have to return the valve and get the right one. I am also thinking of doing what JWSmythe said about putting compressed air through the schrader valve and see what happens. I have a brand new filter that I will just take off and see if the air makes it out right before where the filter conects. I will update you guys after the weekend. Thanks for all help so far.

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Pewter
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Fuel line tests

If you have a regular blower attachment for your air compressor (who doesn't?) I'd really recommend pulling the schrader valve first. It uses a standard tire valve tool. That way, when you pull the tool off, the pressure will bleed off out the front. You'll also get better air flow, so you'll feel a pressure buildup pretty well. Otherwise, if there is a blockage, you will build up air pressure throughout the engine side of your fuel system. I'd hate for you to damage something. With the line detached from the filter, you should get no air pressure buildup in the line.

I really hope it's something easy to fix, that you may have overlooked. I'd hate to say that you may have to rerun the fuel line.

If it turns out to be your fuel regulator or something, I highly recommend looking around for instructions on making an access panel to your fuel pump. When I did my '98 with an aftermarket pump, one of the lines inside the tank popped loose. No pressure, and I was annoyed after going through all the work of putting it back together. I was VERY thankful for doing it when the aftermarket pump died 6 months later. It took about an hour to change it, and that was because I had about 1 screw every inch. I wanted it sealed very well. It's really not hard to do, once you make something to block up your drill so it can't go more than about 1/4" in. It's a tin snips and power screwdriver (i.e., drill with a phillips bit) job.

red
    1999 trans am convert

Your first post you say the plugs are wet and you smell gas so you must be getting something-you need the correct fuel gauge tester- here is one from Harbor Freight-12.99:

98 Formula
    06 duramax

are we taking odds on what it is? I'd really like to see what the actual pressure is at the rail. I'm just having a hard time with it being a blocked line. I just don't think the filter would let enough crap past to block the line without the filter being completely plugged up first. I guess it could happen but it's doubtful IMO. If your plugs are wet I'd even wonder if it's fuel related at all. Get that pressure read so we know where you're at.

Thread Information