Black
    2002 WS6 T/A

steering wheel shake

02 WS6. 77,000 miles. Today I replaced both outer tie rod ends, got 4 new BF Goodrich tires and an alignment. Still have a slight shake on smooth highway in steering wheel and passenger seat shakes slightly. Have not checked anything out tonight but, would like to get some ideas as to their experience with the same symptoms. Thanks in advance.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

OP,

had this moved to the General Help section so more ppl can see it.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

How about when you hit the brakes at highway speeds? Does it shake more? If so, then you have warped rotors and they need to be replaced along with the brake pads. If not, try rotating the wheels front to back. (That is if they are the same size front and back.) This will eliminate a bent wheel on the front of the car if the steering wheel shake goes away after the tire rotation. Good luck.
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Check the lug nuts!!!

Wouldn't be the first time a shop has forgotten to tighten them.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I would also say inspect front end bushings. Your inner tie rods were obviously ok to you when you installed the new outers? I have always replaced inner & outer at the same time.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Check the lug nuts!!!

Wouldn't be the first time a shop has forgotten to tighten them.
    Funny you say that I have a story about this happening. I had a shop that forgot to tighten my wheels to proper spec and one wheel ended up flying off while driving....I was so pissed when that happened.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

On the rare occasion that one of our cars goes to a shop it is the first thing that I check.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    On the rare occasion that one of our cars goes to a shop it is the first thing that I check.
    Lesson learned in my part lol. It's sad that you have to though.

Black
    2002 WS6 T/A

Thanks for the replies. Rotated front to rear today. Tires are BFgoodrich 275/40ZR17's. I did do the brake pads and rotors about 10,000 miles ago and when I apply heavy at a highway speed like mentioned I notice an increase in the steering wheel shake. I forgot to check the wheel bearings when I had it up. have to do that next weekend.

At the risk of sounding stupid I have to admit that I did not know about inner tie rod ends on this. What is the best way to inspect them visually and would a reputable shop notice the flaw doing an alignment?
    Last edited by tc86gn; 07-26-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: forgot tire size

Black
    2002 WS6 T/A

I guess i am getting to the stage of the typical problems on this car cause I am starting to also hear a suspension squeaking in the front. probably from the sway bar.
    02 WS6 Black (Stock)

86 Buick Grand National

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

With the front end in the air, place your hands at the 9:00 and 3:00 positions on the tire and try to rock it back and forth. If you feel any play that is generally a sign of a tie rod issue. You can usually see movement at the outer tie rod if you have a friend push on the tire while you watch the joint closely. If you do not see any movement at the outer tie rod, then the inner tie rod is most likely the issue.

Taking this a step further, place your hands at the 12:00 and 6:00 positions and rock the tire back and forth. If you have play here, but not at the 9:00 and 6:00 positions you may have a ball joint issue. If you have play in all positions you might have a wheel bearing going out, or everything in the front end is whooped and worn out.

Black
    2002 WS6 T/A

I'll have to wait till next weekend to examine further. I will update then. Thanks for the advice.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Even though its only been 10,000 miles on the new brakes, it's still possible that you may have a stuck caliper. This will cause the brakes to never fully come off the rotor and cause overheating and warping. This will give you a shaking steering wheel even when your not applying the brakes. Happens all the time. The slide pins that hold the caliper on, get all gunked up and don't slide properly.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Another thing to check: rust buildup between the front hubs and rotors causing the rotors to not sit flush with the hubs.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Black
    99 Trans Am

I have a similar problem, mainly on the highway. In my case I'm pretty sure it's the rack. Another thing to check is the steering intermediate shaft's pinch bolt. Make sure that's not slipping some on the rack's input shaft. The torque is 35 ft/lbs.
    `99 Trans Am: Vigilante 2600, Stroked ?(383), Cammed, TSP Catback and Headers,Strano/Koni STR.T, Strano 35/22 Sway Bars, Elite E2 Catch can, 380,000 miles
    `79 Firebird: Pontiac 400 4-speed, Borg Warner Super T-10, XE-268 Cam, Hedman headers, Edelbrock RPM intake, dual exhaust & Flowmasters
    `08 Corvette Base M6 LS3, Morimoto Headlights and Taillights, SLP Blackwing CAI.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Another thing to check: rust buildup between the front hubs and rotors causing the rotors to not sit flush with the hubs.
    This ^^ too. I avoid this rust issue by applying a thin layer of bearing grease on the hub before installing the rotors.

Black
    2002 WS6 T/A

Thanks for the tip on the brakes. It seems I have one inner tie rod end with some slack. Two new ones on the way. Probably put em in next weekend and change the rotors and pads. Then off for another alignment at a different shop. I'll up date then. Thanks again for the good advice.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

steering wheel shake

Keep us updated.

Thread Information