Awaiting Activation

red
    2000transam

steering rack oem or aftermarket?

Hi guys,
    just wanted your opinion on a steering rack i'm going to need very soon. My 2000 t/a steering rack is leaking very slow, but now when i hit a bump it's making some noise .I jack up the car and took the boot off ,and it's wet and the fluid is a little low. know when i move the wheel left and right ,it has more play than the other side and has a banging noise .I posted before about steering wheel shaking and never resolve it, but i'll bet that the reason. Now should i go oem or aftermarket on the steering rack? I was leaking at 20,000 miles and i have 30,000 now ,so i'm thinking aftermarket from carsteering.com ,but i'm also looking at a used OEM on ebay too.What do you guys think? sorry for the long post thanks.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    Hi guys,
    just wanted your opinion on a steering rack i'm going to need very soon. My 2000 t/a steering rack is leaking very slow, but now when i hit a bump it's making some noise .I jack up the car and took the boot off ,and it's wet and the fluid is a little low. know when i move the wheel left and right ,it has more play than the other side and has a banging noise .I posted before about steering wheel shaking and never resolve it, but i'll bet that the reason. Now should i go oem or aftermarket on the steering rack? I was leaking at 20,000 miles and i have 30,000 now ,so i'm thinking aftermarket from carsteering.com ,but i'm also looking at a used OEM on ebay too.What do you guys think? sorry for the long post thanks.
    Why waste your money on a used OEM rack? Do you know how many miles were on that car before the rack came out? Get a rebuilt - at least you'll know that the rack was rebuilt and has a guarantee should there be a problem. If you buy the used OEM who are you going to go to if there's a problem? Think you'll be able to get your money back from the seller? Just my $.02.

Awaiting Activation

red
    2000transam

I was thinking the same thing , just needed someone else to make up my mind. Does any body know if they make a heavyduty steeering rack for our cars? That what like to replace it with .I have sams 35/22 bars and koni s/a and thiking about trying his springs , so i'm wondering if a normal one would hold up to a lot of cornering.
    Last edited by ou812; 05-27-2008 at 09:51 PM.

NBM
    1998Z28

Sure they make aftermarket/heavy duty steering racks. Heres a link to look at. If you descide to lose the power steering you can pickup somemore power too!

http://horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/...ad.php?t=64697
    Last edited by PFM; 05-28-2008 at 06:37 AM. Reason: fix
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Awaiting Activation

red
    2000transam

HEY,
    thanks for the link ,that steering rack looks pretty beefy.

Thread Information