Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Question Steering Column Pivot Pins and Lock Bolt/Spring

2000 Trans Am, tilt Steering column. I am looking for two pivot pins for the tilt mechanism and also looking for the Lock Bolt and Lock Bolt Spring that locks the steering column from turning with the key in the "off" position. Does anyone have any of these items or know where I can get them? Thanks in advance!
    Ported/Polished throttle body, Lingenfelter launch module, SLP line lock, QTP exhaust cutout, LS7 clutch, K&N, Ceramic coated longtubes, no cats, 3" exhaust, Flowmaster "B", Eibach springs, Midwest Chassis 9" rearend w/4.10's

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You'll probably have to source all that from a boneyard. GM utilized the same column in lots of models through the years as best I can recall.

Red

Thanks Jeff, I found what I needed in the lock pin and lock pin spring from a company in Maryland. I also found the oversized pivot pins, cuz mine were wallered out, at a company called Unbalanced Engineering. Thanks for the quick reply.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Question - was your steering wheel tilting on its own? The last two times we went to the track our steering wheel tipped down on launches. First time it caught me by surprise and I lifted off the throttle.

Red

No, it never tilted on it's own. It just felt like mush when we pulled down on it, or tried to operate the tilt mechanism. Come to find out, one of the pivot pins was totally gone, non-existent. The lock pin and lock pin spring was also totally gone. Someone had been in the column before and removed some things and replaced other things. For example, the 4 bolts that hold the tilt housing to the steering column normally had torx bolts. When I went in, they were SAE hex head bolts. One of the pivot pins had fallen out and did not get replaced, which was where the "slop" was coming from. Normally the "slop" comes from one or several of the 4 housing bolts being loose. Not in this case, because those 4 housing bolts were all tight. I ordered two new oversized pivot pins to take up the "slop", and make it tight again. Did you get the self tipping issue fixed?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Have not taken it apart to see what is happening inside. Just good to know that with this thread I have some parts options. Thanks!

Thread Information