Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter Gold
    2000 Camaro Z28

Starting problems

Very intermitent problem, Sometimes I go to turn the key to the car to crank and it turns over but wont catch, other times It cranks but soon as I let off the gas it dies, Other times it just starts and runs fine no problems, Any ideas?, going to check the fuel pump relay when i get home from work.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

we need more information. Any mods to the car? is the SES light on? Is the security light flashing? It could be fuel related as well. The easy way to find out is to check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. It should read 58-60psi when the car idles. When you prime the fuel pump it should read the same and hold the pressure with the car off. How many miles does the car has?

Pewter Gold
    2000 Camaro Z28

No mods to the car bone stock, No ses is flashing, security light isnt flashing it does it normal routine of stick the key in and wait until it goes out. Car has just over 140k on it, and ill get the gauge and report back.
    thanks for replying.

Pewter Gold
    2000 Camaro Z28

Ok so update, I got a fuel pressure gauge just forgot about teflon tape, that was a mess to clean up, but I started messing around with stuff after I scoured the forums again, I messed with the fuse box and relays, and bam started up and fired fine up until I took my foot off the gas from which it bogged down and died, but this is an improvement over not starting at all. Tomorrow I am going to left the fuse box and look at the wires because I noticed that the AC relay (which AC also recently stopped working) and the fuel pump relay were really loose compared to the rest.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Clean the throttle body and IAC valve. Sounds like the blade is gunked up and not allowing enough air into the engine to maintain idle. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yup it could be the iac valve like jeff said. I had that issue before. it was stuck from carbon deposit build up. make the rubber plug on the iac is not cracked or broken.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

you said you put a fuel pressure gauge. what was the pressure reading?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

If you keep your foot on the gas will it stay running? I would check a few things. Clean the throttle body & MAF like these guys said & I would also look for a vacuum leak. Check the pcv hose on the passenger side. Especially where it turns to go into the intake. They like to crack in the backside of that bend.

Pewter Gold
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yes with foot on the gas it ran perfectly, the pressure gauge wasnt getting a reading because it was leaking out, have to get some teflon tape on the gauge im pressuming and it would give a reading. There was some pressure to it just dont know how much. The fuel filter was changed about 3-4 months ago, along wit plugs and wires, and IAC was replaced no more than about 2 months ago Ill check it to make sure its on right, Ill take a look at the PCV system as well. Thanks for the help and tips

Pewter Gold
    2000 Camaro Z28

Oh and i also unplugged the MAF and tried to start it but didnt make any difference at all.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Did you removed and cleaned the throttle body when you when replace the IAC valve? If not clean it out. If it still giving issues try to get a reading on the fuel pressure when you fix the gauge. I don't need to put Teflon on mine but it will leak for a second until I tighten it up. The gauge you are using could have a bad o ring. I think you can rent the gauge from the auto parts store.

you don't hear any vaccum leaks?

Pewter Gold
    2000 Camaro Z28

No I dont hear any whistling sounds at all from the engine when it gets cranked

Pewter Gold
    2000 Camaro Z28

Ok...... So I hook up the pressure gauge with the tape on this time and before the first time it read 49psi turned the key off then turned it again to ACC and it read 51psi cranked the car and it read the PSI at the same 51, not only that but it cranked fine with no problems, obviously something is going on wrong from the last few weeks of it not cranking, Even though the fuel filter is practically new I didnt replace it a shop did should I go ahead and just replace it myself? I tripped the security light trying to crank it again waiting for it to go off before attempting to crank it again

Pewter Gold
    2000 Camaro Z28

Cranked it a second and a third time without any issues, fuel pressure climbed to 59-60psi on second and third crank I noticed though. Sounding like the fuel filter?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Fuel pressure should jump right up to around 58 psi as soon as you energize the ignition.

Pewter Gold
    2000 Camaro Z28

So fuel pump is on its way out I am assuming?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Is the pressure holding after you turn the car off? It doesn't hurt to change the filter if you feel that it might not had been changed. You said you tripped the security light? Can you give more detail about that?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

this is what i'm referring with the pressure holding or not holding. In my case the pressure was leaking out as soon as the pump stopped priming. When I turned the ignition switch back on the pump primes and it pressurizes but leaks after the prime stops.

Last edited by JayTA98; 07-07-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Pewter Gold
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yes the pressure is holding after I turn the car off, Now if it sits overnight or off for awhile when i go to reprime the fuel pump itll prime to about 51psi then when it cranks itll jump to 60 or 61psi this is all lately since it hasn't had any problems cranking or running. Im going to take it to work with me today bring my fuel pressure gauge and see if it does it again after driving it. Also what i meant about the security light is I turned the key to acc and went to crank too fast didnt let the security light go out, so it cut the power to everything, had to wait 3 mins for the light to go out.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

if the pressure is holding I believe the fuel hose is fine. I never heard of having to wait for the security light to go off before starting the car. I never have to wait. It just crank right up.

I guess you will have to check the pressure when the problem reoccurs. is kinda of hard to figure it out when the issue is not happening.

Thread Information