Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Starting Problems

When I go to start my T/A I have power to everything like radio, antenna, etc. However when I go to start the car I get nothing as far as turning over in the motor. I was able to roll start it and it ran fine. I'm thinking I have a bad clutch sensor or switch? This would be preventing the car from sensing that the clutch is engaged. Talked to two buddies and they thought the same. Anyone ever have this problem and what is the best route to replace/fix it?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Before you go chasing switches - try a simple battery test. Turn your headlights on and watch them as someone trys to start your car. If the lights go completely out when the key is turn it is likely that you have a bad battery or a poor cable connection. Other than that, could be the clutch switch or an ignition/starter relay under the hood.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Before you go chasing switches - try a simple battery test. Turn your headlights on and watch them as someone trys to start your car. If the lights go completely out when the key is turn it is likely that you have a bad battery or a poor cable connection. Other than that, could be the clutch switch or an ignition/starter relay under the hood.
    Most autoparts stores will test the batt for free too. My ignition cylinder went out on mine, but the security light came on when it happened.

Hopefully fuses have been checked.

If you have a friend there helping, have them listen to see if they here the starter working or not.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Thanks for the advice here guys. I'll check fuses, watch the lights and listen for starter.

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

I go threw like one clutch switch a year. They are about 8 bucks and are very cheap plastic. Just look under the clutch pedal. Good Luck!

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!! My drive side window is also stuck open!!!

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

So, my engine doesn't even try to roll over. and my relays seem to be okay. Any ideas???

sorry for thread jacking, this fucking forum wont let me make a new thread right now, the page just turns white and nothing happens.

siver
    2000 ss camaro

Neutral safety switch?

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I have an automatic, so I don't have one.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Fearls1, do you have the same "symptoms" as I do? I tried hookin up jumpers and starting it to see if that was the issue but like I said I appear to have good power just nothing when I go to turn it over.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by '01BlackWS6 View Post
    Fearls1, do you have the same "symptoms" as I do? I tried hookin up jumpers and starting it to see if that was the issue but like I said I appear to have good power just nothing when I go to turn it over.
    That's what I have.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

I'll check the clutch switch then. Hopefully that's what it is.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Check the ground for the starter too. If all the wires are in good condition for the starter, you could try to test the clutch switch w/a ohm meter.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Yeah, I wondered if I didn't have a loose starter wire. It's a bitch to get under there without the car jacked up. Is there anyway to tell if the clutch switch is bad without putting a new one in and seeing if it solves the problem?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by '01BlackWS6 View Post
    Yeah, I wondered if I didn't have a loose starter wire. It's a bitch to get under there without the car jacked up. Is there anyway to tell if the clutch switch is bad without putting a new one in and seeing if it solves the problem?
    You could hook it up to an ohm meter. I'm not sure what the switch looks like but the idea is sound. You'll still have to remove the switch to make life alittle easier, and there should be 2 terminals on the switch. Hook the ohm meter up to each terminal and it should or shouldn't read a random number, depending on what kind of switch it is it may read nothing. This is the important part, with the meter still hooked up, depress the switch and the you should go x Ohms to 0 ohms (or opposite). If it does this, the switch still works. But if you depress the switch, with the meter hooked up properly, and the numbers (whatever they may be) don't change, the switch is bad.

The 2 wires that come off the switch may be able to be wired together for faster results (all depending on how the switch works). You could try to wire them, temporarly, together and try and start the car. If it starts, it's the switch. If it doesn't start, that doesn't necessarily mean the switch is bad. I wouldn't suggest leaving the wires together, buy a new switch.

If the switch has more than 2 terminals, it could be a single pole double throw or a double pole double throw or some variation of that switch. Meaning everything I just typed isn't accurate.

black
    2002 ramair

I have had this problem for years. Power to everything, but no turn over. If I hold it in the start position, or just keep trying it will eventually start. Usually within 2 minutes, never more than 5 minutes.

I've had the car since 02. Had the problem since about 03

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

I have this problem sometimes for 2 or 3 mins....5 or 6 starts....no juice just turn and nothing happens. I put the clutch in and out and still nothing until it finally starts. The dealer told me it could be THE SENSOR ON THE KEY!!

Pewter
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

This is the exact problem my car started having this morning, except mine is an A4. All accessories are working, fuel pump primes, relays are working...I'm probably gonna try bypassing my VATS next after I check the cables...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

just had this happen with my car and it was the clutch sensor... its right above your clutch pedle... i took mine out and used a piece of copper wire to complete the circuit then wrapped it up with some electrical tape... no i don't need to use my clutch at all to start my car...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 68ramair View Post
    I have had this problem for years. Power to everything, but no turn over. If I hold it in the start position, or just keep trying it will eventually start. Usually within 2 minutes, never more than 5 minutes.

I've had the car since 02. Had the problem since about 03
    did you test the resistance on your key fob???

Thread Information