Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Exclamation Starting problem

I'm new here, but I'm guessing this is the proper place to put this. I just bought an 02 T/A yesterday. Today I started having an intermittent problem with starting. It seems when the car has been sitting for a few minutes, when I go to start it, it just wants to turn over but not start, and as soon as I stop and go to start it again, it fires right up. If I turn it back off and start it right up immediately, it starts just fine again. But anytime it sits for a few minutes, it'll only turn over the first try, and then start right up on the second try again, and it's every single time as I've been testing this all day. Just trying to get some ideas of what it should be. I plan on taking it up to the dealership tomorrow to have them look at it, but was just wondering if anyone here had some ideas of what it could possibly be.

Pewter
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Went out there to try and do some more diagnosing. I also just noticed that on the first attempt I do hear the fuel pump priming, I go to start, it just turns over and over without starting, and when I let go of the key I hear the fuel pump prime again, and that's when it starts. Could it be a relay? Or a fuel pressure problem?

Pewter
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

I did some deeper searching while here and it looks like my fuel pump is possibly on the way out...found one with someone that was having the exact same problems I am. But if there is any other input it would still be greatly appreciated.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

congrats, sounds like you figured it out yourself. my suggestion would be if you plan on modding this car, upgrade the pump while you are doing this so you don't have to do it later again! ask around, I think my shop installed a 255 walbro pump.

Pewter
    2001 M6

I'm having this problem too havnt really had a chance to try anything out but from what i've heard its either the fuel pressure reg or the fuel pump. I would start with the reg first since its cheaper. Also you should replace the fuel filter while your there. Let me know what you find out though.

Pewter
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Well I got a warranty with the car, plus I've only had the car 1 day, so the dealer I bought it from better fix it. But I had found a thread with someone that had the same exact symptoms. I might get them to just change all of it out.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

if the dealer will do it add in the extra money and get the bigger pump. Never hurts to ask.

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Mine is starting to do the same thing. Always starts on the second attempt. Please post what you find out at the dealership. The fuel pressure regulator is definetly the cheapest to replace. I hope it's not the fuel pump. It's a bear to replace.....

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

you probably read my fuel pump sotries in my experience if you have to change the pump go aftermarket cause the warranty's are the same (1 year through GM and aftermarkets are generally 1 year) also keep at least 1/4 tank of gas in your bird...as we all know the gas acts as a cooling agent for the pump so its less likely to burn out on you.

Pewter
    2001 M6

Im gonna try the fuel reg here in a week or two (just had to dish out money for new front o2s) I would def see if you could get them to put a bigger pump in there it will keep you from having to do it later on lol

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

So what I've been reading on these forums is that the later years (not sure, I think 99-02) have the fuel pressure regulators with the fuel pump in the gas tank. That sucks.... My son's 93 Formula has it under the hood passenger side. It looks like an easy replacement.

It looks like on the later years if your going to replace the unit then the fuel pump should probably be replaced as well. If I do it then I think I will try the cutting the hatch method instead of dropping the tank. I don't think I can go through all of the removals to drop the tank.

RED
    2002 FORMULA

My old Vega had the fuel pump in the gas tank also. Never did occur to me to cut the floor out of the hatch. Now the second time I put in a in line fuel electric fuel pump, never had that problem again.

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

LOL, Same exact problem here. It is the fuel pump. Please don't cut your car. Do it the right thing and just drop the exhaust and tank.

Pewter
    2001 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Fearls1 View Post
    LOL, Same exact problem here. It is the fuel pump. Please don't cut your car. Do it the right thing and just drop the exhaust and tank.
    what kind of fuel pump did you put in and about how much do they cost?

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

haven't done it yet. Wait'n on funds. I'm just hoping that it holds out!! I have found em for 150 to 400 bucks.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Mine did that too... It helped a lot to clean the MAF when I did the fuel psi reg and my prob was solved

Pewter
    2001 M6

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    Mine did that too... It helped a lot to clean the MAF when I did the fuel psi reg and my prob was solved
    Ill give that a try this weekend what do u use to clean the maf

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

Quote Originally Posted by Shammer View Post
    Ill give that a try this weekend what do u use to clean the maf
    Use carb cleaner... but PLEASE beware that if you break those tiny wires, ur MAF is toast.

Unless you are having problems with idle or crappy accelartion.. then don't bother the MAF.

"Don't fix it, if it ain't broke!"

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Use MAF cleaner to clean the MAF. You can pick it up at any parts store.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Pewter
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS

Hey I got the same problem.... That sux man... But i think its gonna be the fuel pump. I going to purchase an aftermarket fuel pump from texas-speed with my next pay check. Times are hard right now and having car prblems dont make it any easier.

I cleaned my MAF, adjusted the set screw on the throttle, cleaned the K&N filter, replaced the fuel filter, and it continued to worsen so, i gave up on messig with it. It looks like my pump struggles to keep pressure to operate the cam'd LS1. I have not checked the fuel presure at the rail, but im going out on a limb and relpacing my pump anyways. Also getting a programmer to reprogram my shit, only because I was running lean to begin with.

I also had a thread about this problem.

Thread Information