Thread: Starting Issues

White
    2000 Trans am WS6

Starting Issues

I have a 2000 firebird trans am ws6 with a procharger. i washed it the other day with a high pressure water hose and it doesn't start right ever since. it seems like its pausing after the cranking and then starts. when its warm it still starts but the crank is lighter and a little harder to start. everytime it starts though. i've heard there is a sensor behind the water pump that might of got wet but i really just don't know now. any advise would be great right now.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I wouldn't recommend a "high pressure" wash of the engine bay. With the engine cold, soak it down with Simple Green or S100 and then give it a shower rinse. Mop up the standing water with a towel and then use an air gun to gently blow water off the electrical components and help dry them. Once everything is mostly dry, start up the engine and let it warm up to help evaporate any remaining water.

This has always worked without any problems for me on both the T/A and all DD's. Even if you did not dry things off after your wash, one or two run cycles should dry everything as long as the engine is fully warmed up. Unless you are getting a skip or miss in the ignition circuit, or the SES is lit, it's hard to tell where your problem may be.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Make sure all the connectors are dry and plug wires still snug. Take all elec cons apart and use the special grease to seal water out
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

White
    2000 Trans am WS6

i checked the connections and it seems like everything is in place and snug. it seems like it might be hang firing (pause after the cranking then fires up)or something in those lines. didn't know if it was was an electrical issue or a fuel issue. is there a way to tell with out spending another grand on trying to find the problem.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

You have to look at the past. If it started fine before the wash it, it is probably the wash that has caused this. The water got into something weather it is plug boots or conectors something is wet. All you can do is grab a multimeter and some dielectric grease and start testing sensors and lubing the conectors.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

something is wet somewhere most likely. I don't recommend putting water on the engine at all unless it's an extreme situation. These cars aren't like dad's and grandpa's cars were back in the old days. There's way more electronics on board. Sure, water tight connectors but how many years do those stay water tight? People wash them with a hose and swear by it but it's only a matter of time before it jumps up and bites them.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    something is wet somewhere most likely. I don't recommend putting water on the engine at all unless it's an extreme situation. These cars aren't like dad's and grandpa's cars were back in the old days. There's way more electronics on board. Sure, water tight connectors but how many years do those stay water tight? People wash them with a hose and swear by it but it's only a matter of time before it jumps up and bites them.
    Totally Agree. Most of mine have corrosions on the inside. I took all the essential ones and greased them up. Some have corroded beyond repair and I just have to replace, they actually hold moisture in too!

Headlight connectors most definately. I hose off the engine bay after simple greening but I also have a nice v-twin compressor at hand. Always paranoid of those knock sensors/injector O-rings though...

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Really you should hand wipe the engine bay and not water it down at all. bucket with water and what ever and just dip and wipe.

Thread Information