414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Stalled car in gear now won't start

Here's the situation. I pulled my 2000 Trans Am in front of my parking spot then someone yelled over to me to talk, while distracted I took my foot off of the clutch thinking I was in neutral when I was actually in 1st and it jumped fwd and stalled of course. I tried to start the car up and NOTHING. Head lights stuck in the up position. No juice no dash lights no clicking. When I popped the hood there was a light clicking coming from the front of the car drivers side opposite the battery.

I had a friend try to jump, and as soon as we hooked up the cables on my side, WITHOUT his side on yet, the pop up lights went down. We charged for 5 mins, windows went up dash lit but it wouldn't turn over, just clicking. When I went to set the alarm, the doors locked but the horn didn't honk, 5 mins later the alarm went off on its own, the pop up lights came back up but weren't lit, I ran out hit the alarm off and it stopped and the lights went down! Then I set the alarm and it set like normal

Now, the car sits and gets driven very little. The battery is about 2 yrs old, and I drove the car fine today twice for 25 miles each way. No issues starting it up either time, the issues arose only after I effed up and stalled when I let out the clutch. Any help or thoughts is appreciated.

Quick update. Went out, used the key fob and the doors unlocked and opened. All lights in car on. Went to start, nothing. No clicking no turning over. Went to relock and alarm with the key fob, and it wouldn't work. Power locks wouldn't work. Had to lock each side manually.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Sounds like a bad connection. Start by checking the battery terminals and ensure the connections are tight and free of corrosion. Move on from there. Check grounds too.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I agree with Walt. It almost sounds like something was jarred loose when the car lurched forward. Possibly a loose wire at the PCM? But start off with what Walt suggested.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

Got to quick look at the car today. Fob unlocked the car and the lights flashed. Put the key in and all gauges jumped, when I went to turn her over nothing. No click no juice and the power slowly died. Relocked and it worked, only doors locked no lights flashed and the horn didn't honk.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

Update. Went out and disconnected the battery. Retightened everything. Car started up, but dies! Only stays if I keep on the throttle, as soon as I let guy she dies.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Being the battery was about dead due to what sounds like a bad connection, your PCM may take a few minutes to re-learn. Keep the car running awhile and see if that helps. If not, you may still have a bad connection somewhere or even a bad battery despite it only being 2 yrs old.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

i had the EXACT same problem last nite went to pull in a driveway wasnt paying attention and stalled the car in first gear. Went to restart it and nothing no power at all headlights up and the car was just dead dead. I had drove the car last week so it wasnt like my battery was weak. i went under the hood and giggled the battery cables and the headlights went down and the power came on. Went to the car and attempted to start it and got clicking sound it wouldnt turn over, giggled the cables again and i was able to start it no problem. I then left the car running and man handled the cables to see if i had a loose connection and see if the car would die. It stayed on the entire time then i stalled it on purpose and it started right back up i dove it another 40 miles with no issues i couldnt find out the problem.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by therobman View Post
    i had the EXACT same problem last nite went to pull in a driveway wasnt paying attention and stalled the car in first gear. Went to restart it and nothing no power at all headlights up and the car was just dead dead. I had drove the car last week so it wasnt like my battery was weak. i went under the hood and giggled the battery cables and the headlights went down and the power came on. Went to the car and attempted to start it and got clicking sound it wouldnt turn over, giggled the cables again and i was able to start it no problem. I then left the car running and man handled the cables to see if i had a loose connection and see if the car would die. It stayed on the entire time then i stalled it on purpose and it started right back up i dove it another 40 miles with no issues i couldnt find out the problem.
    after the car starts it's running off the alternator so wiggling the cables really won't tell you anything. Take the cables off the battery and check them for corrosion. Coke and a tooth brush is great for cleaning battery terminals. It sounds like both of you have a loose or corroded wire somewhere. It would be worth it to chase the cables dwon and inspect them all real good.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^^ Agree..while working at service station a customer came in and battery cables were cleaned off prior to her visit to us BUT ...the corrosion had worked its way down the cables and since they are wrapped in plastic -couldnt see them...after changing her cables i took one of the old ones and sliced the plastic covering off and it was totally corroded half way down! Looked like a clogged artery in a vein or something after that car started no problem.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    ^^ Agree..while working at service station a customer came in and battery cables were cleaned off prior to her visit to us BUT ...the corrosion had worked its way down the cables and since they are wrapped in plastic -couldnt see them...after changing her cables i took one of the old ones and sliced the plastic covering off and it was totally corroded half way down! Looked like a clogged artery in a vein or something after that car started no problem.
    I've seen this many times too.....I normally recommend people cut a little of the insulator off the end of the cable so they can see what the wire looks like.

Thread Information