Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

sputtering in low rpm range

Having idle issues, and my car is sputtering in low rpm range, my car sat up for about two months and now this happens, sometimes I smell fuel sometimes I don't, drove the car for a little bit and it stopped, then on start up started doing the same thing, spark plugs are new, are New and wires are new, car has been tuned because I added an LS6 intake along with a k&n filter with an MTI clear intake lid, I'm wondering if the tune was erased because the battery was dead for a while. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    SLP LT's, ORY, Flowmaster Catback, MTI Clear Lid, TB bypass, LS6 Intake,PP TB, Ram Air Mod, Tune, 3:73's, Deleted Cats, Deleted EGR/AIR

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

no the tune wouldn't be erased.

Could be some bad gas after sitting for a while but that usually takes about 5-8 months for gas to go bad.

When's the last time you cleaned your MAF?

Vacuum leaks will cause this to, has this started after the intake was installed?

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    no the tune wouldn't be erased.

Could be some bad gas after sitting for a while but that usually takes about 5-8 months for gas to go bad.

When's the last time you cleaned your MAF?

Vacuum leaks will cause this to, has this started after the intake was installed?
    no vaccum leak all those hoses have been replaced with new hoses when the intake was installed, im going to put some injector cleaner in it and is there a way i can check the coil packs??? i do smell fuel while the car is doing the sputtering at idle and at low rpm speeds.....i also have a new filter to install.....gonna try all that and see, give you updates tomm.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

is the check engine light on? Have you cleaned the TB?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Have you cleaned the MAF sensor yet? K&N filters, specifically the oil residue to clean & service the filters are notorious for causing idle and misfire issues if they are not properly clean & DRIED.

Unless the CEL has come on the coils/plugs & wires are most likely not an issue, they would pop a code (CEL).

2 more things you could check:

Pull you IAC off the throttle body (it is the top sensor on the drivers side of the throttle body), see if it is clogged up. It should move freely in and out.

Next I would pull the throttle body off and check the blade, make sure the small hole isn't clogged up, this would also effect idle.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I was going to mention it but smws6ta beat me up to it. The iac. Clean it up good with tb cleaner. Make sure is not getting stuck. I replaced mine and stopped my idle problem.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I am going to say you have some K&N filter oil on the MAF. You really have to let those filters dry overnight after you reoil them.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

When servicing a K&N filter:

Wash thoroughly, let dry completely, apply oil on each pleat LIGHTLY, then let oil soak in. Any white spots can be gone over with with a tad of oil. I also agree with what has been posted.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

ok cleaned the MAF, replaced the fuel filter, while MAF was off i checked the blade from the TB and it didnt have an oily residue from the K&N filter, but i did replace it with a fram filter for now. took the car for a test drive, and the car sputtered/shook as i drove down my street, got onto the cross street and wanted to see what the car would do at WOT, smashed the gas, and the car sputtered for a milisecond, and then roasted the tires. tried a slow take off, and the car sputtered still i smelled a little bit of gas, and the SES light started blinking,(the light stays on because of my mods) then stopped, and a few seconds after it stopped blinking, the car ran fine.....im going to take off the TB and clean it, im hoping that fixes the issue, because if it is a misfire issue, then i dont know how to fix it....

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Your check engine light should NOT stay on after the tune. Were there ANY other mods done to the car since the tune?

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

no other mods than the ones i have in my signature.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Have you had the car recently scanned for the constant check engine light? Almost sounds like you have a throttle pos. sensor on its way out.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

well i was told since i deleted the EGR, AIR that it would stay on, couldnt get those erased out when i got the car tuned because the guy who tuned it go busted for that by the state and he had to pay a hefty fine. so it just stayed on. had the codes read and was throwing lean codes at my 02 sensors....never had a misfire code, going to go to autozone on my next two days off and get the codes read again. i hope its not a misfire.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Re-check your wires too. Make sure they ALL click onto both the coils and plugs. A loose spark plug wire could cause a multi misfire code.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

ok gonna check them also, i know they all clicked into the coils when i replaced the plugs and wires before the car sat up for the few months that it did.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yeah i agree with cammedgoat. If the ses light is on all the time because of your mods it will not give you an indication of a new code. I will check the spark plug wires too. Do you hear any misfires at idle in the engine bay? Any arcing noise?

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

No I don't hear an arcing noise. Cleaned the IAC today still has a rough idle I'm thinking computer has to relearn the fuel map again....

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Have it scan to see what codes you have.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Going to get that done Wednesday or Thursday.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Keep us updated.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information