Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speeding ticket

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Speeding ticket

CAn you get an accurate speed of the car if both cars are moving towards each other, or does the cop car HAVE to be parked to get the acctual reading??

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

They can get you while moving...

BLACK
    1998 Z28

Detroit Muscle

I Had The Same Question, I Gotta Go To Court Soon And I Was Gonna Use That As Defense. Guess Not!!!

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by sandman22 View Post
    CAn you get an accurate speed of the car if both cars are moving towards each other, or does the cop car HAVE to be parked to get the acctual reading??
    Got a friend thats a cop and he said they could be standing on side of road with no radar gun what so ever and estimate your speed and it will stand up in the court of law

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

yea. they can deff still get you, but its not as accurate but it happens so fast that it might be off by 1-5 mph

white
    2001 transam

Yes. Officer can trap your speed while coming at you. That technology has been around for over 20 years. I couldn't believe it back in 1984 when I got a ticket in the same situation. The officer showed me how it worked while I sat in his front seat. He let me off though cause I was polite and he liked my german shepard I had in my back seat.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

i was polite and he still gave me ticket. Its the end of the month so I guess he had to meet his QUOTA(spelling?) for the month.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by KageSS View Post
    Bull shit.
    i know you can ask the cop to see what speed he clocked you at..and if he doesnt store it i dont believe they can ticket you.

1966 Corvette Coupe

Bull shit.
    actually... ive heard they have to be "certified" in it, but they can do it... they are cops... they can do anything they want... i got a ticket once without being radared... they called it a city ordinace and i couldnt fight it in court... (it ws pitch black and i was surrounded by about 4 cars when he spotted me... no way i got clocked)...

face it man... if they want money from you they can get it... but check and make sure the gun he used had been calibrated... (they have to do it every so often)... even if it wasnt im sure the would tell you it was..

-me

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Maybe in your State.
    Not here. Especially whan the cop doesn't show up to court, on the court date to verify..... They throw the shit ticket out..
    You can also fight it, and you will win, 99.9% of the time.
    Wish i lived there then cauz they can and have done it here

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Move to Texas.
    Actually thinking Arizona

Maybe in your State.
    Not here. Especially when a cop doesn't show up to court, on the court date to verify..... They throw the shit ticket out..
    You can also fight it, and you will win, 99.9% of the time.
    Thats the same speech I heard in high school. The cops WILL show up if you dont live in a busy city. Theyre getting paid for it!

The cops here in FL do have to be certified in radar in order to give speeding tickets.

And that message about being able to see the speed in the cop's radar gun sounds like Like predator said, if they want to ticket you, they will. You may be able to fight and win it in court, but that day you get the ticket (or ride), youre feeling miserable, pissed, depressed, raged, ungrateful, ashamed, stupid, right, steamed, dumbfounded...never happy.

Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

No it's true. You can ask to see the radar, and they have to show it to you by law. If they don't, then you don't have to sign the ticket. But not too many people know that or just don't have the balls to get mouthy with a cop.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

i have received many tickets in several states. the only way to get out of it is to hope the cop doesnt show up or loses his copy of the ticket. they calibrate the gun before each use with a tuning fork. also most cops are trained to watch your speed. all they have to do is see how fast you cover a certain distance. ever look at the reflectors on the side of the road? they are all evenly spaced.

Green
    1993 Mazda MX-6 LS

I lost my license for 24 over a couple months ago. I didn't bother fighting it, 'cuz i've gotten a couple already, and I just wanted to pay my fee, get it over with, and I had no idea how the law was written. Anywho, I had two friends get pulled over up in Tennessee on US-129 (Tail of the Dragon) for reckless driving. They went to court, and since the cop wasn't there, had the tickets dismissed... So yeah. Always fight your tickets.

black
    2001 z28 b4c

Just to let you all know, well in NC any how. If I clocked you with my radar, or laser I do not have to let you see my clock at all. Yes I can right you a speeding ticket with out using a radar or other speed device. We are traind to estemate speed of a vehicle. I have the ability to clock you coming or going if Im moving or sitting still. I can even get you if you are coming up from behind me, or if I am coming up on you, ( same lane, or same direction of travel ). With my laser I can pick out what vehicle I want to clock. In NC you are wasting you time fighting a speeding case. They will not just drop a charg b/c we dont show up. We are payed to go to court, that is a part of our job.

Black
    01 ws6

I just got off a real bad trio of tickets last week. I got a lawyer, but I really really needed to get off. That cop above sure needs to take a spelling course to go with all his radar courses. I wanted to go in to court and tell the judge. I could outrun this fat high blood pressure offsucker on or in anything, walking, running, mountain biking, skiing, and especially in my car. Thats why I got a lawyer, never incriminate yourself. That asshole aimed his gun in my face and cuffed me. Bet he wouldn't be so tough without his gun and badge.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Jetblak View Post
    Got a friend thats a cop and he said they could be standing on side of road with no radar gun what so ever and estimate your speed and it will stand up in the court of law

Yea..until you get a lawyer and the whole thing gets thrown out like a joke

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by hwyhog View Post
    Just to let you all know, well in NC any how. If I clocked you with my radar, or laser I do not have to let you see my clock at all. Yes I can right you a speeding ticket with out using a radar or other speed device. We are traind to estemate speed of a vehicle. I have the ability to clock you coming or going if Im moving or sitting still. I can even get you if you are coming up from behind me, or if I am coming up on you, ( same lane, or same direction of travel ). With my laser I can pick out what vehicle I want to clock. In NC you are wasting you time fighting a speeding case. They will not just drop a charg b/c we dont show up. We are payed to go to court, that is a part of our job.
    Do yo honestly think you can accurately estimate someone's speed with nothing but the use of your own eyes?? Thats a load of shit, "you're trained" my ass, what a joke.

If you believe that then you'll believe anything

Green

I got clocked with the cop going in the opposite direction. He said I was going 71 in a 60 and I was really going 70.75. He threw it out, he said if i showed up he would drop it. Also a cop can use a stop watch and start it when you pass two points and calculate how fast you were going by taking the time it took you to pass from point a to b and how long it would take if you were doing the speed limit to get from a to b. I personally dont know how to do it but it seems logical.

Thread Information