Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Speed Sensor & ABS

Hello everyone, I'm really hoping someone can guide me in the right direction with this problem I have. My ABS INOP light has been on for a month or two now. I took it to the shop today to have some other work done and asked them to look at this too. My car is a 2000 WS6 Trans Am without traction control. The complication is that five years ago I got rid of the factory 10 bolt and now have a Strange 12 bolt. The shop told me that the speed sensor screws directly into the top of the differential housing and the cable is broken right at the sensor so I need a new sensor with cable. Now I don't know anything about these types of things so I'm only going with what he told me. He said the factory setup has a sensor on each wheel whereas my Strange setup only has one sensor that is attached to the differential housing and reads from the ring and pinion. He said this means that with the Strange setup, the reading comes from the ring and pinion and not from each individual rear wheel and that now the two rear wheels are just read as one. He told me to contact the company that I got my rear from and get the part from them. I called Strange this afternoon and explained what I needed from them and they said that I just needed to get a stock factory speed sensor. I thought the factory setup had a sensor on each rear wheel and my current Strange setup just has one sensor screwed into the differential. Can anybody help me determine what the heck it is that I need? I'm so confused by all this! I guess this is the downside to going with aftermarket parts in a vehicle! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash00TA View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm really hoping someone can guide me in the right direction with this problem I have. My ABS INOP light has been on for a month or two now. I took it to the shop today to have some other work done and asked them to look at this too. My car is a 2000 WS6 Trans Am without traction control. The complication is that five years ago I got rid of the factory 10 bolt and now have a Strange 12 bolt. The shop told me that the speed sensor screws directly into the top of the differential housing and the cable is broken right at the sensor so I need a new sensor with cable. Now I don't know anything about these types of things so I'm only going with what he told me. He said the factory setup has a sensor on each wheel whereas my Strange setup only has one sensor that is attached to the differential housing and reads from the ring and pinion. He said this means that with the Strange setup, the reading comes from the ring and pinion and not from each individual rear wheel and that now the two rear wheels are just read as one. He told me to contact the company that I got my rear from and get the part from them. I called Strange this afternoon and explained what I needed from them and they said that I just needed to get a stock factory speed sensor. I thought the factory setup had a sensor on each rear wheel and my current Strange setup just has one sensor screwed into the differential. Can anybody help me determine what the heck it is that I need? I'm so confused by all this! I guess this is the downside to going with aftermarket parts in a vehicle! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
    They come either way. Depends on whether you have the optional traction control or not. Without traction control there is only one sensor and it's mounted on top of the pumpkin and reads off the ring and pinion. If you have traction control then you have sensors at each rear wheel. You mentioned your car doesn't have traction control, so you have the correct setup, Strange sold you the correct rearend.
    All you need is the single sensor (just a magnet basically) that bolts to the top of the housing. Very simple fix. Stop at your local dealer and grab what you need.

Your shop is partially correct, the sensors at each wheel are for traction control cars only. They probably haven't seen one with a non-traction control setup before.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-16-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

^^^

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Cable? Do you mean that the wiring is damaged? If so, a simple splice can remedy the issue so long as the connector isn't also damaged. I always assumed that a WS6 would come equipped with traction control and have the sensors out by the brake backing plates.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Maybe it's not a real WS6, but was converted. Not sure, Jeff. Seems like one would. Didn't think of that.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks for the responses guys. I can assure you that the car is a legitimate, factory produced WS6 car as I am the original and only owner. To the best of my knowledge, traction control was never standard on the Trans Am, always an extra cost option. Atleast it isn't listed as standard on my window sticker. Anyways, as everything with cars seems to be, things have gotten more complicated. When I called Strange last night they said to just get a standard factory sensor, that it doesn't take anything unique to them. However, in speaking with the shop this morning they said a standard factory sensor won't work because the sensor on my Strange rear seems to be threaded into the differential housing as opposed to the factory sensors that are popped in and then held in place with a set screw. They said that the wiring is broken right where it attaches to the connector so there is no way they can splice anything together. They seem to think that when you buy the sensor, some wiring should come with it. All the factory sensors I've seen on line appear to be just the sensor, with wiring available separately. Why does everything have to be so complicated???

I run a Strange rear myself, and have had Moser in the past. I set mine up for both 3 and 4 channel so it would go in any 4th gen whether it had the traction control option or not.
    My sensor bolts in just as the original, (I believe the sensor even has an o-ring type seal for the housing if I remember correctly) and a weather pack connector snaps onto it.

Have you been under the car yourself to see what's going on? Maybe a picture would help? Did you put the rearend in yourself or have a shop do it?
    I'm 99.9% certain Strange is correct and a stock GM sensor will bolt right on. That's what I have in mine. As a matter of fact I believe all their housings are cast to accept the sensor, and they just ship them with a plate and screw bolted in to seal it off when not needed.

As far as the wiring, it sounds as though it might have been a bit too tight (maybe wire tied up somewhere) and when the rearend droops down either on a lift or jack stands etc....it probably pulled that wire tight and pulled it right out of the connector. That harness would be available seperately at the dealer.
    Another option that I've done in the past is buying the correct terminals inside that weatherpack (also available online or GM), splice onto the end of the existing wires, then pop the old terminals out of the weatherpack and snap the new terminals in. This is the best approach as you avoid cut and spliced wiring that could cause problems later down the road. It's a little more time consuming and some leg work involved getting the correct terminals but the end result is much better.

Without actually seeing what you are dealing with it's hard to say....

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I would snap a few pictures so we can help you figure out the problem better.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Your set is called 3 channel ABS where if you have TCS (Traction Control System) that would make it a 4 channel ABS.

Simple fix.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Is this the location of the sensor you are referring to? Is the small black sensor on top of the rear end?

This how the 3 channel ABS rear end sensor looks like.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 07-18-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Is this the location of the sensor you are referring to? Is the small black sensor on top of the rear end?
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    This how the 3 channel ABS rear end sensor looks like.
    Click for full size

Hope this helps.
    That is in fact the 3 channel ABS sensor that bolts to the top of the housing.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That is in fact the 3 channel ABS sensor that bolts to the top of the housing.
    Which is what our cars that don't have traction control have(like mine). If you have traction control you won't have that single sensor on top of the rear end. It will be one sensor on each wheel.

Which is what our cars that don't have traction control have(like mine). If you have traction control you won't have that single sensor on top of the rear end. It will be one sensor on each wheel.
    Exactly correct

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I believe (correct me if i'm wrong) this is the location of the rear ABS sensors on a 4 channel setup for cars that have traction control. You will have one on each rear wheel.

I believe (correct me if i'm wrong) this is the location of the rear ABS sensors on a 4 channel setup for cars that have traction control. You will have one on each rear wheel.
    Click for full size
    Yep, that's 2 in a row Jay, you're on a roll

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yep, that's 2 in a row Jay, you're on a roll
    I should play the lotto today. lol

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Play $5 for me, please.

OP - Let us know what you have. I went to Strange's site but couldn't find anything definitive as to the style sensor they utilize. I know they offer both 3-channel and 4-channel options. I agree with what has been posted already and presume that the Strange housing is machined to accept the stock sensor. I checked Autozone's site and they have the rear sensor P/N SU9806 for $131.99 (ouch!). That sensor appears to accept a male wiring plug. There isn't a pigtail hardwired to it.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

This has been informative. Thanks

Red
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks guys for all the responses. Finally got to the bottom of this all and had the correct sensor installed this afternoon. The mechanic actually called Strange and spoke with them and finally got a hold of someone who knew what they were talking about. The sensor for my rear is indeed completely different from the original factory part. I don't know why it is different than a factory sensor, or why the original person I spoke with at Strange said that it would take a factory sensor, but it is completely different. It actually looks very similar to a bolt with two wires sticking out the top if it. The part number is H1106S. It cost $75 from Strange, here is the link to where it can be purchased from Jegs: h1106s - JEGS High Performance Maybe this will help someone with a similar problem in the future. Thanks again everyone for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash00TA View Post
    Thanks guys for all the responses. Finally got to the bottom of this all and had the correct sensor installed this afternoon. The mechanic actually called Strange and spoke with them and finally got a hold of someone who knew what they were talking about. The sensor for my rear is indeed completely different from the original factory part. I don't know why it is different than a factory sensor, or why the original person I spoke with at Strange said that it would take a factory sensor, but it is completely different. It actually looks very similar to a bolt with two wires sticking out the top if it. The part number is H1106S. It cost $75 from Strange, here is the link to where it can be purchased from Jegs: h1106s - JEGS High Performance Maybe this will help someone with a similar problem in the future. Thanks again everyone for the help!
    I'm betting the first guy told you a stock sensor fits because he's correct. I wonder if you have an older casting rear that he wasn't aware of? The Strange rear I just bought late last year has a stock GM sensor in the top of it (I put it there).
    I'm kind of thinking at some point there was a design change that not all of them are aware of maybe??

Thread Information