Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed limiter

Dark Metallic Blue
    2000 Z28

Speed limiter

So I have had my car for about a week now and just took it fast enough to find out how fast it wont go.. What needs to be done to get the "125 mph" limiter disabled?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

You have a speed governor on your car? Did it not come with Z-rated tires? I would say to delete the governor, you'd need to use a program to remove it from the computer.

Dark Metallic Blue
    2000 Z28

When I hit just about 125, the pull halts. It sucks, I hate it.. The car came with Hankook Ventus RS2's on it.. Obviously not stock tires...

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I've never known our cars to be speed governed

I know my car was bone stock when I got it, except for a K&N filter, and I have pegged the speedometer once, and been upwards of 135 a few times no problem...

But if it is, you'll need at least a handheld tuner to turn it off, or send your PCM to Frost and he'll do that and tune it for you for a real good price

Dark Metallic Blue
    2000 Z28

ECU tune on an unmodified car? What are the pro's and con's(if any), and what does it cost?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Then your car didn't come with Z-rated tires from the factory and it has a speed governor programmed into it. That would be the only reason the LS1 cars would be governed. The first years of the LT1 f-bodies had speed governors on both non z-rated releases and on all convertible models.

Luckily, my first Camaro ('94 Z28) came from the factory with the Goodyear Eagle GS-C tires, which were z-rated. The z-rated tires that came on LS1 Z28's were the Goodyear Eagle RS-As.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by 2k_Zed28 View Post
    ECU tune on an unmodified car? What are the pro's and con's(if any), and what does it cost?
    I don't know of any cons, a tune basically optimizes your motor's efficiency. Talk to Frost, he'll tell you what's up.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

It won't hurt your car to have some basic deletes done. My car isn't heavily modified, but has the EGR and O2s deleted and shift points (A4) adjusted. You could have simple tunes like that done, while you have the speed governor deleted.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

If your car came with the V rated 235-16's as stock then it would be limited in how fast it can go. If so then I'll bet it also came with 2.73 gears.

And my 96 Z28 vert was top speed limited to 118mph even though it had Z rated tires.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    If your car came with the V rated 235-16's as stock then it would be limited in how fast it can go. If so then I'll bet it also came with 2.73 gears.

And my 96 Z28 vert was top speed limited to 118mph even though it had Z rated tires.
    My car has 2:73 gears. It only depended on what tires they were saddled with. And the early LT1 convertibles were all speed governed, regardless of what tires they were saddled with.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    My car has 2:73 gears. It only depended on what tires they were saddled with. And the early LT1 convertibles were all speed governed, regardless of what tires they were saddled with.
    This I know as my 96 had Z rated tires with 3.23 gears and my 2002 started life with 2.73 gears and Z rated tires.

What I was referring to was that if he had the V rated tires to start with it was probably a 2.73 gear car also (less $$$ to buy and better gas mileage).

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    This I know as my 96 had Z rated tires with 3.23 gears and my 2002 started life with 2.73 gears and Z rated tires.

What I was referring to was that if he had the V rated tires to start with it was probably a 2.73 gear car also (less $$$ to buy and better gas mileage).
    Oh, I gotcha now. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Dark Metallic Blue
    2000 Z28

My door jam sticker says 245/50/r16

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

My door jam sticker says 245/50/r16
    Yep, I'm sure it came with the non z-rated tires.

2000 Trans Am

Are you sure it's not a V6 lol, my car never came with a governor and i've reached 135 before shutting it down............

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Are you sure it's not a V6 lol, my car never came with a governor and i've reached 135 before shutting it down............
    No, 'cause I don't believe a V6 came with 245/50/16s.

Silver
    00 Formula Firehawk

Then your car didn't come with Z-rated tires from the factory and it has a speed governor programmed into it. That would be the only reason the LS1 cars would be governed. The first years of the LT1 f-bodies had speed governors on both non z-rated releases and on all convertible models.

Luckily, my first Camaro ('94 Z28) came from the factory with the Goodyear Eagle GS-C tires, which were z-rated. The z-rated tires that came on LS1 Z28's were the Goodyear Eagle RS-As.

The LS1 cars either came with the Goodyear Eagle RSA or the GSC tires. RSA = speed limiter, GSC = 160 MPH I cant speak for the LT1's.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Griner View Post
    The LS1 cars either came with the Goodyear Eagle RSA or the GSC tires. RSA = speed limiter, GSC = 160 MPH I cant speak for the LT1's.
    Wrong, my car came with RSAs from the factory and it does not have a speed limiter, trust me.

Silver
    00 Formula Firehawk

Wrong, my car came with RSAs from the factory and it does not have a speed limiter, trust me.

Are you the original owner? I have talked with a few other people that made the same claim, however The Z rated tires had no limiter and the non Z rated tires did. I think the RSA's are not Z rated??

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Griner View Post
    Are you the original owner? I have talked with a few other people that made the same claim, however The Z rated tires had no limiter and the non Z rated tires did. I think the RSA's are not Z rated??
    No, I'm not the original owner of the car. But before this one, I had two other LS1 Z28s that both came with RSA tires and they weren't governed either. The first one was a new but dealer driven car and the second was brand new. I don't believe the RSAs were Z-rated tires (I have an old set of two in the garage, so I'll look later) but the cars weren't governed either. My first Camaro, a '94 LT1, was the only one I've had that came with the GS-Cs.

Thread Information