Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Spark Plug Gap on AC Delco 41 110 Irradium Plugs.

This is a discussion on Spark Plug Gap on AC Delco 41 110 Irradium Plugs. within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I understand the concept of applying anti-sieze to avoid galling of threads in an aluminum block, but if the stuff ...

1 Red/1 Silver
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

I understand the concept of applying anti-sieze to avoid galling of threads in an aluminum block, but if the stuff gets hard over time, is it really advisable to use? What I don't want to have to do is chase threads though. Hmmm what to do... I have read that using anti-sieze with zinc is better than anti-sieze with graphite...worth a try!!!
    Last edited by herculesrider1; 07-19-2013 at 04:45 PM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I've just hand-tightened spark plugs. No need to really put your back into it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Anti-seize on all the plug threads and dielectric grease in the boots. As you thread the plug in, the anti-seize is naturally pushed up, not down into the combustion chamber. I have never had any issues with it and consider it excellent preventative maintenance.

1 Red/1 Silver

Oh, on top of the discounted price from AutoZone, they, in addition, offer a rebate of $2 per plug, so, I will end up getting the plugs for $4.99ea after the rebate. Big difference.....$9.36....$4.99. AutoZone comes thru this time.!!

1 Red/1 Silver

Thanks Jeff. I said AutoZone came thru, it's really an ACDelco rebate.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I also sent in the rebate form for the plugs I just purchased.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I've just hand-tightened spark plugs. No need to really put your back into it.
    This is what I do to mine also.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Torque spec for the plugs on our cars is 11 ft.lbs. That's not a whole lot.

Red
    99 Z28

I am changing the plugs on the 99 Z28 [LS1] I bought the AC Delco Iridium that come gapped at .040. Should I leave them that way even though the manual for the car says to gap at .060?

Red
    99 Z28

Please answer...

1 Red/1 Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Phil238 View Post
    Please answer...
    Hey Phil, no, keep them at .040. They are set from ACDelco, and should not be changed. The reason is that the closer tolerance gets rid of the slight miss that some experienced with the .060 gap. The Iridiums I pulled out were gapped at .040 and they ran perfectly. I am in the process of installing ACDelco 41-110's today, and they are pre-gapped at .040. I checked them with my feeler gauge, and they are precisely .040. Put a small amount of anti-sieze on the spark plug threads and a small amount of dielectric grease inside the boot that attaches to the spark plug and a small amount on the perimeter of the coil packs where the spark plug wire connects to the coil packs, so that in the future, they will come off easier. I pulled the passenger side coil bank completely off to better access the #8 plug. That back coil pack bolt was a bear to even touch, much less see. When I put that bank back on, the back bolt DID NOT GET REINSTALLED.!!! Four bolts is more than enough to hold the coil pack bank to the valve cover!! Use anti-sieze here too. Also, when reinstalling the coil pack bank, install the #8 spark plug wire to the coil pack before installing the coil pack. It is very difficult to install with the coil pack already installed...ask me how I know!!! I had to pull the coil pack bank off again in order to put the #8 boot on the coil pack. Be sure you hear the "click", when you install the wires to the plugs, otherwise, you might experience a miss because of a faulty connection. I gently tug on the wire to make sure it's got a good connection. If the connection is not 'good', the spark plug wire will pull off very easily due to the dielectric grease. Hope this helps!!
    Ported/Polished throttle body, Lingenfelter launch module, SLP line lock, QTP exhaust cutout, LS7 clutch, K&N, Ceramic coated longtubes, no cats, 3" exhaust, Flowmaster "B", Eibach springs, Midwest Chassis 9" rearend w/4.10's

Red
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Hey Phil, no, keep them at .040. They are set from ACDelco, and should not be changed. The reason is that the closer tolerance gets rid of the slight miss that some experienced with the .060 gap. The Iridiums I pulled out were gapped at .040 and they ran perfectly. I am in the process of installing ACDelco 41-110's today, and they are pre-gapped at .040. I checked them with my feeler gauge, and they are precisely .040. Put a small amount of anti-sieze on the spark plug threads and a small amount of dielectric grease inside the boot that attaches to the spark plug and a small amount on the perimeter of the coil packs where the spark plug wire connects to the coil packs, so that in the future, they will come off easier. I pulled the passenger side coil bank completely off to better access the #8 plug. That back coil pack bolt was a bear to even touch, much less see. When I put that bank back on, the back bolt DID NOT GET REINSTALLED.!!! Four bolts is more than enough to hold the coil pack bank to the valve cover!! Use anti-sieze here too. Also, when reinstalling the coil pack bank, install the #8 spark plug wire to the coil pack before installing the coil pack. It is very difficult to install with the coil pack already installed...ask me how I know!!! I had to pull the coil pack bank off again in order to put the #8 boot on the coil pack. Be sure you hear the "click", when you install the wires to the plugs, otherwise, you might experience a miss because of a faulty connection. I gently tug on the wire to make sure it's got a good connection. If the connection is not 'good', the spark plug wire will pull off very easily due to the dielectric grease. Hope this helps!!
    Thank you for the reply. I had read a lot of the threads on here but couldnít find a specific answer. I also called NAPA and they told me I couldnít use Iridium plugs and to gap them would break them. I called Advance Auto and theyGoogled it and told me to gap them at .060. I called the Chevy dealership and they said leave them at .040. So I joined this forum to ask that question.

I bought this 1999 Z28 new in 1999. Iím going to do some work on it for the exercise.😊

Thanks again

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

If you're still using stock exhaust don't be surprise on how hard the passenger side is to do. Most ppl have to go up from the bottom to do #8.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: Sway Bar, SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Red
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    If you're still using stock exhaust don't be surprise on how hard the passenger side is to do. Most ppl have to go up from the bottom to do #8.
    Thanks for the heads up...

1 Red/1 Silver

I have ceramic coated long tube headers, and I still had to go up from the bottom to get to #8. Glad I had her up on blocks!

006.jpg

Red
    99 Z28

Nice pic! Nice car!⚡️

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information