01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Sounds and other issues.

First, I'll start off with the sounds im having

When I start my car, it seems like the exhaust rattles, as well as when i ease onto the throttle, it rattles and makes a raspy noise

Only thing i could think of causing this is the speed bumps at my school are way over the extreme, as in a scale of 1-10 of speedbumps, its a 50, and could my car thumping down into them even at 2mph cause this problem? could something be loose and cause this?

Another issue, My blinkers dont work, I turn them on, they might click once, then just barely flash on the dashboard, no sound, no light, suggestions?

Another thing is my window, Would a up/down button from a firehawk we had be able to be popped off and popped into place on my firebird, and maybe fix my window not going up and down?

Also, my car makes a whistle sound -_- it kinda sounds like a FI kind of whine, but thats only a wish haha, any clues of things i should look at?

All sound issues are coming from under my car, not under the hood(:

Thanks for all the help!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by AfterYou View Post
    First, I'll start off with the sounds im having

When I start my car, it seems like the exhaust rattles, as well as when i ease onto the throttle, it rattles and makes a raspy noise

Only thing i could think of causing this is the speed bumps at my school are way over the extreme, as in a scale of 1-10 of speedbumps, its a 50, and could my car thumping down into them even at 2mph cause this problem? could something be loose and cause this?

Another issue, My blinkers dont work, I turn them on, they might click once, then just barely flash on the dashboard, no sound, no light, suggestions?

Another thing is my window, Would a up/down button from a firehawk we had be able to be popped off and popped into place on my firebird, and maybe fix my window not going up and down?

Also, my car makes a whistle sound -_- it kinda sounds like a FI kind of whine, but thats only a wish haha, any clues of things i should look at?

All sound issues are coming from under my car, not under the hood(:

Thanks for all the help!
    get underneath the car and check the exhaust. Look for areas that might be rubbing or that are too close to the bottom. I had this when i bought mine and it turn out to be that the panhard bar was rubbing with the muffler. i loose the clamps out and played around until i got some clearance.

On the blinkers, check the front turn signals. Most off the time they get corroded, melted and need cleaning or replacement, check the bulbs also. If that don't fix it then check the flasher you might need to replace it. There are 2 flashers if im not mistaken. If you turn your hazards on do they work? if they do, then check the turn signal one.

the window issue could be the switch. I think the firehawk ones fit fine but before you do that unplug the connector that goes to the window motor and check for 12v at it. If you have 12v when you press and hold the button on the up or down position then you have a bad motor. is pretty common in our vehicles.

the whistle we need more info on it. Does it get louder when you hit the gas pedal? If you pop the hood do you hear like air leaking? Is the car iddling okay or does it hesitates? You could have a vaccum leak. The PCV hose is famous for cracking.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 01-23-2011 at 02:06 PM.

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    get underneath the car and check the exhaust. Look for areas that might be rubbing or that are too close to the bottom. I had this when i bought mine and it turn out to be that the panhard bar was rubbing with the muffler. i loose the clamps out and played around until i got some clearance.

On the blinkers, check the front turn signals. Most off the time they get corroded, melted and need cleaning or replacement, check the bulbs also. If that don't fix it then check the flasher you might need to replace it. There are 2 flashers if im not mistaken. If you turn your hazards on do they work? if they do, then check the turn signal one.

the window issue could be the switch. I think the firehawk ones fit fine but before you do that unplug the connector that goes to the window motor and check for 12v at it. If you have 12v when you press and hold the button on the up or down position then you have a bad motor. is pretty common in our vehicles.

the whistle we need more info on it. Does it get louder when you hit the gas pedal? If you pop the hood do you hear like air leaking? Is the car iddling okay or does it hesitates? You could have a vaccum leak. The PCV hose is famous for cracking.
    For the whistle, it does sound like a leak of some sort, also on idle, it hesitates and is rough

for the blinkers, the hazards work perfectly, just the blinker

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

For the whistle, it does sound like a leak of some sort, also on idle, it hesitates and is rough

for the blinkers, the hazards work perfectly, just the blinker
    if all the lights work fine then check the flasher for the turn signals. Is underneath the steering column area. you have to remove the cover below the steering wheel. I cant remember exactly which one is it but put the hazards on when you find one. If you hear it and feel it clicking then you have the wrong one, it will be the other one.

As for the leak it sounds like a vacuum leak. I'm not sure if your 1995 has the PCV line setup in the same area as my 98 but turn the car on and try to pin point where do you hear the leak most. The PCV lines are plastic and rubber joints combination. If you feel with your hand you will feel the leak. it could be a plastic line broke or melt or a cracked rubber joint. There is a write up about how to make your own and save money instead of buying a new line from the stealership. I'll try to post some pics of mine to help you get an idea of what you are looking for.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 01-23-2011 at 02:28 PM.

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

thanks for the help!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

thanks for the help!
    No problem. That's what this site is for, help each other.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=PCV

Read this if you need to fix the hose for the PCV. I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Check the undercar heat shields as well. They can sometimes be the source of a rattle.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Check the undercar heat shields as well. They can sometimes be the source of a rattle.
    Yup +2 to this!

Thread Information