Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    '00 Silverado and '02 Z28

Someone accidentally put regular gas in my '02 z28

My husband tagged along on a work trip. He ran out of gas looking for a gas station. Roadside Assistance brought a gallon of regular gas. He thought surely he'd be able to make it from where he was to a gas station, but sadly he didnt make it more than 1/10 of a mile. Now, despite adding the right gas and changing the fuel filter, she won't run. Help?!?!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Burning regular gas won't hurt the car, but will somewhat affect the HP output.

How is the fuel pressure? Should be 58 psi or a bit higher with key on, engine off.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

So called "regular gas" will not hurt anything. The PCM is loaded with both high and low octane spark tables and the engine has knock sensors that retard timing in the event detonation is detected. It sounds like the fuel pump may have fried and the first thing to do is check your fuel pressure at the rail. As posted, it should be 58 psi when you energize the ignition. If you have zero pressure, start by checking the fuse and fuel pump relay. If they are good, can you hear the pump run when you turn the key?

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Regular gas is not the issue, running the fuel pump dry may be the issue. It uses the gas to cool itself. As mentioned above, check fuel pump fuse and relay.
    Also as mentioned above, can you hear the pump prime when you turn on the ignition?
    35th Anniversary LE # 167 SLP # 1084

Black
    '00 Silverado and '02 Z28

Yes, you do hear the fuel pump prime when you start the engine. That's what is so frustrating. It sounds like it should run, but doesn't.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Running the fuel pump dry is the culprit, you probably burned it out. The gasoline is actually the lubricant for the fuel pump.

In my mind, even the 91 octane gas is crap, reminds me of the "MOGAS" used while I was in the navy, in their pickup trucks.

Bring back the 100-103 octane gasoline, that's the ticket.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

How often is the car ran with the fuel gauge in the red? I ask as repetetive driving with very little fuel will kill the fuel pump. I've never heard of a fuel pump dying after ONE trip drying up the tank.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

How about sludge getting in the filter? Or is that a myth?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

What is you fuel pressure at the rail ? It should be between 55 and 60 psi
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    How about sludge getting in the filter? Or is that a myth?

If the car often sits for extended periods with "old" gas in the tank, then sludge would be a possibility. However, it would most likely plug the pre-filter in the tank rather than the in line filter under the car.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I must opt for a bad fuel pump as well. On both my fbodies they either died on the road, or idled very weakly. Both refused to start.
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

The name says it all !!!FAST!!!'s Avatar

Black
    2000 WS6, 2006 G35

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Running the fuel pump dry is the culprit, you probably burned it out. The gasoline is actually the lubricant for the fuel pump.

In my mind, even the 91 octane gas is crap, reminds me of the "MOGAS" used while I was in the navy, in their pickup trucks.

Bring back the 100-103 octane gasoline, that's the ticket.
    Ahh...MOGAS. All gone now, nothing but F-76 and JP-5. Convert to E-85. upwards of 105 octane.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

I would invest in a fuel pressure tester and check the pressure at the rail as the first step.
    2000 SS Conv, M6, Onyx - SLP Lid, CAI, TTS LTs, AFR 205s, 220 224 581 581 114, Z6 Int. & clutch, 3.73s, GMMG, ASP, 160 stat, Rapid tune, STB, LCAs, Brkts, SFCs, SLP 1LE, Hurst Billet+.TTIIs (Gunmetal), BFG KDWs. 406rwhp, 376rwtq + 2011 Camaro Vert Triple Black

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Before you get more frustrated you need to check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail like the rest of the members have suggested. It should be around 58 psi. If you don't have 58 psi is either bad, clogged, leaking internally or not receiving enough voltage. Before you can determine any of this you need a fuel pressure reading.

If you have 58 psi at the fuel rail then your fuel pump is not causing the issue.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

not to steal the OP thread but you guys are talking about different octanes. If I put regular in my car I get knocking sound under moderate to heavy acceleration. I put 91 most of the time and the noise is less. If I put 93 I don't notice the noise as much. Is this normal then?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

You shouldn't here any knocking with 93 octane. Our normal OE tune is for 91 octane. If you are hearing some with 91 or especially 93, then you have a bad knock sensor(s), not sensing the knock, or it could be some carbon build up in the cylinder. Also, it could be from too much oil being burned/ingested, if you don't have a catch can. Seems I read that somewhere, maybe HP Pontiac, about some burst knock somebody had that a PCV catch can fixed. Or it could have been an out-of-calibrated air intake sensor, I can't remember exactly, but it was an LS1 Trans Am they were working on.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I have catch can and replaced the knock sensors when I upgraded to ls6 intake. I always heard the knocking since I own the car. Weird

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

What brand gas are you using?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    What brand gas are you using?
    well it depends. I get mine mine lately at wawa but thru the years mostly BP, Hess, Racetrack and Mobil are most of the visit places

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Keep using BP, and Mobil and keep us posted. Some no-brand stations could have water in their tanks and be pumping the fuel into cars without checking the tanks underground.

Thread Information