Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solid Facts about Speed

Ok guys, I need some real solid facts about the speed of the cars we all love. The F-Bodies! In particular the 2002 WS6

I've read two car magazine atricles lately that have me confused. Both were written about the 2002 WS6 hard top.

One said the M6 would do 0-60 in 5.2 and the A4 would do it in 6.0 and they both would do the quarter mile in 13.2 seconds (for the average unmodified car)

The other said both the M6 and A4 were the same with a range of 0-60 in 4.95 seconds to 5.25 seconds for the average unmodified car and that the 1/4 mile would take both 13.4 seconds

Where does the truth lie? Please don't contribute if your answers are based on something else you read or on mostly guesswork. I would like to find out some real solid facts from people who know first had what these numbers should be.

Thanks.

1966 Corvette Coupe

since there was never an ls1 hardtop ws6... I would say both...

-me

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    since there was never an ls1 hardtop ws6... I would say both...

-me
    i am pretty sure there are some formula ws6s that are hardtop

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i am pretty sure there are some formula ws6s that are hardtop
    Correct
    All 1LE Formula's are Hardtops for sure and I would bet 25% of the rest of the 600 or so Formula WS6's built between `98 - 00 are HdTp aswell.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Factory 02 WS6 hardtop must be a rare find.

1966 Corvette Coupe

damn it forgot about Formy's, but the 02 thing still covers me...

-me

Well this thread got hijacked off on a tangent...I said hard top (as opposed to convertible) I didn't say the roof panels weren't removable (they are still hard) LOL Gotta love the T-Tops

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

me no like T-Tops...i wish i could find a hard top WS6

1966 Corvette Coupe

Ok semi backon topic... i think the fastest a stock T/A has ever gone was like a 12.9ish... the autos are slower to 60 (and in the quater i beleive) if they have a competent driver in them...

and i just dont see 0-60 in the 4's without a hella driver... prolly more like high 5's for most people.

-me

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I believe official GM release was 5.3 0-60 and 13.6 in the quarter. There was a tenth or so difference in some cars. Real world numbers though are kind of all over the place. Anywhere from high 12's to low 14's. I think a chunk of that is driver ability but you can figure mid 13's will probably cover most cars/drivers.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I believe official GM release was 5.3 0-60 and 13.6 in the quarter. There was a tenth or so difference in some cars. Real world numbers though are kind of all over the place. Anywhere from high 12's to low 14's. I think a chunk of that is driver ability but you can figure mid 13's will probably cover most cars/drivers.
    i'm only running 13.5..i wish i was 12.9 out of the box

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i'm only running 13.5..i wish i was 12.9 out of the box
    I know there's guys that said they run 12.9's stock but I'd almost have to believe that's a very very small percentage. Most people I ever see are running 13.4-13.9. I ran a 13.9 in mine the first trip out bone stock. It was august here and 100 degrees with high humidity but even in perfect weather my car was at best a mid 13 car stock.

So are the autos really slower 0-60 ... like 5.2 compared to 6.0 I can't believe the auto would loose that much to a stick 0-60. How would that happen (mechanically) Its not like you can rev up a stick and dump the clutch to peel out and go faster, my stock auto can barely go WOT anywhere in first gear without leaving excessive rubber. And I'm running new Goodyear F1 tires.

On a side note...even with a burn out these tires seem to leave very very faint or even no black marks (with small wheel spin) on the pavement...interesting no ??? I say the less evidence the better when smoky is on my ass!

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

i have timed my a4 5.6 0-60 was what we got.........all stock motor btw

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    So are the autos really slower 0-60 ... like 5.2 compared to 6.0 I can't believe the auto would loose that much to a stick 0-60. How would that happen (mechanically) Its not like you can rev up a stick and dump the clutch to peel out and go faster, my stock auto can barely go WOT anywhere in first gear without leaving excessive rubber. And I'm running new Goodyear F1 tires.

On a side note...even with a burn out these tires seem to leave very very faint or even no black marks (with small wheel spin) on the pavement...interesting no ??? I say the less evidence the better when smoky is on my ass!
    I'm sorry, did you just state that " can't believe the auto would loose that much to a stick 0-60. How would that happen (mechanically) It's not like you can rev up a stick and dump the clutch to peel out and go faster."

Umm...... Stick means you can dump the clutch. Auto, you don't have control of the clutch. And yes, If I floor it in my stick in first gear with TCS off. I will not go anywhere for a little while, except sideways, for the mostpart.

Besides that, I think that there is more power lost to the ground with an auto than with a stick. Stock for Stock that is.

Unless I'm completely missing the reasoning of your statement.

2002 Trans Am WS6

Also sticks have lower gearing than autos...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    I'm sorry, did you just state that " can't believe the auto would loose that much to a stick 0-60. How would that happen (mechanically) It's not like you can rev up a stick and dump the clutch to peel out and go faster."

Umm...... Stick means you can dump the clutch. Auto, you don't have control of the clutch. And yes, If I floor it in my stick in first gear with TCS off. I will not go anywhere for a little while, except sideways, for the mostpart.
    YES...you CAN rev the engine and dump the cluth, but my point was reving the engine, dumping the clutch and sitting still in a cloud of smoke doesn't make you any faster than pushing the pedal in an auto and sitting still in a cloud of smoke. Now if we were talking about cars with the ability to "hook and go" it would be a different story...but stick or auto both will burnout if given all available power, so how you achieve that won't make you any faster.

Now deeper gearing...if its true could make a bit of difference at the end of first gear when you can Finally get WOT without spinning.

2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    Now deeper gearing...if its true could make a bit of difference at the end of first gear when you can Finally get WOT without spinning.
    If its true...you have 10 different sources for 0-60 times but cant verify that manual and auto cars have different rear end ratios?

The A4 is 3.23:1 (optional over the standard 2.73:1 but I have never seen a WS6 that didnt have the optional gearing) and the M6 is 3.42:1.

As far as spinning the M6 through first...thats where driver skill comes into play.
    2002 SUNSET ORANGE METALLIC WS6 #8497
    1996 ARTIC WHITE TRANS AM WS6
    1987 BRIGHT RED FORMULA 350
    1978 Trans Am SE

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

From what I have seen at the track the auto's including mine do 13.4's all day with the occasional 13.3, the m6's with a good driver get 13.2's all day with an occasional freak who gets 13 flat or 12.98. average 13.2m6 13.4a4 again what I see at infineon.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

remember that some cars were "factory freaks", they came with a different intake, or heads, or block. there are a few different casting numbers. but some LS1's did push a bit more power than others. this could explain the difference in times.

- dont ask me why they did this, or how they decided to do it, they just did.

but i mean, the times arent that different between the two mags, one says 13.2 the other 13.4. two tenths of a second could easily be the driver factor. one guy punches it a little later, or he shifts a little early, takes a little longer to pull the shifter, that could easily make two tenths difference.
    Last edited by Insert; 09-19-2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: typo

Thread Information