2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

so i have a leak commin from my rear main...

anybody that has replaced this rear main seal? how hard is it really?
    i belive i can do it myself with the help of my bud and my pops, anybody suggest otherwize??

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

do it yourself... it's not a tough job just an annoying one and takes some time...

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

alright bro thanks for the input i was thinking of doing it..might be time consuming or may not finish in a day but ill get through it..know where i could fine the seal tool?? or is there even one?

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

If you have never done this before, take it to a shop and let a professional do the job.

SteveC

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

first you have to remove the transmission, then the flexplate (auto) or flywheel clutch assy. Then You will be able to remove the rear cover, once you are holding that, knocking the seal out requires no special tool. you will need a new rear seal about 30$, and a new rear cover gasket around 20$ and hopefully you dont tear your oil pan gasket up ,,, NOW that is a real PITA. the new rear main comes with a plastic ring to protect the seal on install, make sure everything is clean,and put it together, You will need to use a dap of silicone RTV where the rear cover meets the corners of the oil pan, once you get all the bolts started Torque the 2 oil pan bolts FIRST, then the cover bolts. Put it all together the way it came out... IF you are not comfortable with this it is not worth you trying to save some money, You could do some real damage on tranny re-install if you have never done anything like this. IF so it is pretty straight forward and not that hard of a job. But I have been working on cars for almost 20 years.

Silver
    87 Monte SS

RARON455 pretty much said it. I'm also a mechanic, but I would just like to point out that if you use a teflon rear main seal, which is a longer last seal, you need to install it bone dry, clean the surface on the crankshaft where the seal rides with brake clean, and don't put anything on the seal surface. If installing any other type of seal, I like to use a bit of multi-purpose grease on the seal surface. But in any case read the instructions carefully. Also be extremely careful when reinstalling the rear cover not to nick the seal or to flip it inside out as this will damage it. If you damage it and are unsure about it, don't be afraid to buy another seal, it happens to the best of us.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

There is a tool to slip the seal over the crankshaft and press it into the rear cover (J41479). I have read a few posts where guys have found a tapered cup just the right size - the trick is to slip the seal over the crank without damaging it. If you're using the GM teflon seal as stated above do not lube the inside of the seal or the crank.

By the way, before you begin, have you cleaned the area and double checked to make sure it's not the oil sender or some other leak up top that looks like a rear main seal leak? I ask because rear seal leaks are fairly rare.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Like the above posters imply, "if you have never done this proceedure before, leave it up to the professionals". There is also an oil sensor in back of the intake which could get damaged when the transmission is lifted improperlly.

SteveC

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

The hardest part is removing /installing the transmission, and with a good trans jack, a 24" 3/8" drive wobble extension it's not bad at all. Just take your time and follow the service manual procedures and you should be fine.

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

yea i havent ruled anything out yet im still checking im thinking of doing the uv dye thing..

Blue
    2000 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am

I just sprung a huge leak on the drive home tonight. Oil running off the bottom of the Bell housing, mostly on the driver's side. Also oil all over that side of the bell housing. Clutch is slipping too. It's no small leak, It's pretty big. What's the chances of it being the Oil sending unit on the top of the block? I know I broke it when I put the intake on in Dec, but up till now, no leaks. And could that oil get to the clutch if it's external to the Bellhousing?

Any thoughts?

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

I havent gotten around to mine and i should i found out is not my tranny to engine rear main it is my engine rear main how this is not cool

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

It's actually better that it's not the trans input shaft seal. Both seals mean you have to pull the trans but the rear main is easy. Autozone has a seal kit for $25 that comes with the rear main and the cover gasket. Granted, the input shaft seal is only $10, but you have to pull the front of the trans apart to replace it.

Blue
    2000 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am

Looking at the amount of oil and all the oil is on the outside of the driverside of the bell housing, I'm going to hedge my bets and pull the intake and replace the Oil pressure sensor that I know is broken. I just never leaked until today. And the clutch is slipping so some oil is inside the bell housing.
    Just start digging until I find the source I guess....

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

thats what i am having to do i would have someone do it but im low in money...i want to save up for some borlas,kooks and a y i dnt want to invest in this but i might have to...one of my friends that was a black ws6 a 98, had a small leak and he tried to race a Evo and when he punched it well it wasnt pretty..luckly he didnt lock the engine but now since we are breaking the engine down hes going to rebuilt it into a 6.0 ported heads, bolished, boar it out..man its going to be a sweet built..i wish i had the money he has, because i cant even fix my leak anybody suggest i do this my self? i dnt wana pull the engine of the trans gaahhhh so much work and i cant drive my baby for a good amount of time!

Thread Information