Silver
    Chevy Camaro RS

smh ... a lot of problems this time

Here's the problem: I installed an SLP Loudmouth II exhaust on my 98 3.8. Everything was fine until last week, when suddenly, the left rear exhaust pipe falls and scrapes the road while i'm kicking a v6 mustang's ass - pretty embarrassing. Is this a specific problem with the SLP exhaust?

Problem 2: I get off work today, and as soon as I start my car, the CHECK GAGES light comes on and stays on. When I tried to back out of my parking space, I realized that not only were my oil and temperature gages not working, but my power steering was gone. WHAT GIVES??

black
    2002 WS6

nope a falling pipe is install error, something wasn't tightened down right. Also check to see if the mount broke, rare but happens.

As for the gauges and power steering two separate issues.

Power steering failure can be related to 1) pump failure 2)belt failure what was your voltage? 3) no fluid

Gauge issues, again many possible issues. Start with the voltage supply. Check your belts.

rapter34
    im going to go with belts. When I had my eagle talon I was coing down a steep hill and bam! no power steering and all gauges went ot zero. AWD is such a bitch to turn without power steering.

black
    99 formula firebird

dont forget to check your fuze panel and is she throwing any codes?

Silver
    Chevy Camaro RS

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    nope a falling pipe is install error, something wasn't tightened down right. Also check to see if the mount broke, rare but happens.

As for the gauges and power steering two separate issues.

Power steering failure can be related to 1) pump failure 2)belt failure what was your voltage? 3) no fluid

Gauge issues, again many possible issues. Start with the voltage supply. Check your belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by rapter34 View Post
    im going to go with belts. When I had my eagle talon I was coing down a steep hill and bam! no power steering and all gauges went ot zero. AWD is such a bitch to turn without power steering.

I appreciate the help, but I hope u guys can bear with my low-but-growing knowledge of my car. I hope you don't mind the dumb questions lol.

As far as pump failure, how would I be able to test the pump and see if it's working or not?
    As far as the belts, are you referring specifically to the belt breaking? If not, could you specify what exactly would be wrong with the belt?

Oh and by the way .... 'Any' Wheel Drive is a bitch to turn ... I think my forearms are gonna double in size if I dont get this steering issue fixed lol.

black
    2002 WS6

Yea you can check the pump, first open the resivore and check the fluid level, if that is good start it up and listen for any type of whining or grinding. If that sounds normal you will need a hydrolic pressure gauge and the right fittings.

Yea check the belt to see if it broke or even came off. IF its good take it off and spin the pulley on the pump, there should be resistance, if not there is your problem.

Silver
    Chevy Camaro RS

I found the problem, and yes- the belt failed. It doesn't seem to have enough wear for that to happen, but it did so i have to fix that. the only other issue is that i'm guessing that since the belt probably popped off at a very high speed, it popped a few connectors off as well. I found all the proper connections except one - a green connector with a short wire above the oil filter. any ideas? I can take some pictures if that's necessary

black
    2002 WS6

sure pics always help.

Silver
    Chevy Camaro RS

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    sure pics always help.
    I hope this works. This is the picture of the cable that I found lying around by the oil filter - any Ideas??

black
    2002 WS6

I a, not that familure with the V6 set ups, but that very likely could be for the EGR. It may have been removed by a previous owner at some point. JUst ties it up out of the way or look around to see where it may have come off. It is my under standing that green is related to emissions equipment.

Thread Information