blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

Unhappy small mods=slower times?

So heres the scoop, 98 t/a mostly stock, ls1, tb bypass, free air mod, and magnaflow exaust, with worn street tires. On g-tech consistently ran 13.5s, 60ft's were 2.3's all day long spinnin like hell out of the hole thru first gear, (323's) Installed slp air lid and set of drag radials. Best i could log was 13.6's . 60ft's improved to 2.16. Virtually eliminated the spinning with the dr's. Car is obviously loading hard now with traction. Just wondering what i should be doing now? Build more power? Tune?? Quite new to all this so any advise or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

G Tech? If you honestly want track times your gonna have to take the car down the 1/4 mile.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

thanks for the reply, and do realize I need to take it the track and test it there. Problem is Iam 4.5 hours from the nearest track. The g-tech is used for a tuning tool for now.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

ehh dont worry about it..get to the track to see what you run.

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

are the g-techs that far out? just looking for suggestions

Black
    F250

anything besides a real run at the track can be off from a number of things... Are your DR a different size? If they are taller than your old tires, your speedo will be off if not calibrated for different size tire. Im assuming the g-tech thingy plugs into your OBD-II port and runs logs/data for your 1/4 through there. If your new tire was taller, your speedo would be reading slower affecting your data. Just my thought...

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

thanks. the g-tech plugs into the cig lighter. measueres the g force pull. and yes the tires are 1.5" taller than the stock tires. the 60' fts improved but the 1/4 mile times dropped by a tenth.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Good article comparing timing lights to electronic devises.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features..._work_-feature

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

ok ok, iget it, g-techs are Sh#t! that was never the question i asked in the first place. this wasnt a thread on g-techs, i asked for some friendly advice on maybe the next steps that should be taken with mods. I dont have access to a track within 4.5 hrs of here, like i said Iam new to this and just wanted some advice, but ended up getting bashed in the process. Thanks anyway

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by razer900 View Post
    ok ok, iget it, g-techs are Sh#t! that was never the question i asked in the first place. this wasnt a thread on g-techs, i asked for some friendly advice on maybe the next steps that should be taken with mods. I dont have access to a track within 4.5 hrs of here, like i said Iam new to this and just wanted some advice, but ended up getting bashed in the process. Thanks anyway
    is there something on your screen thats not on mine? all i see is advice that what you're using isnt that accurate then a link posted for a major magazine article. why the attitude?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Hey Razer don't be discouraged. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here who are more than willing to help you. The point being made was that you seemed to be taking the results of the Gtech pretty seriously. Obviously you've conceded that Gtech timing isn't equivalent to the traps at the track.

To be honest you might just be the victim of the weather. If it was a cooler day when you ran your 13.5 that would change your results. same thing with humidity head wind etc. even using a different road will throw off your results. the fact that your 60 ft times improved should be sufficient to say that all else equal your quarter times have improved as well.

You've already hit the catback and lid so to keep it external and not dig too far into the engine the next best ways for you to add some power would be to get long tube headers, a y pipe and an intake manifold. If you want a manifold on the cheap you can go with an LS6 intake but if you have long term plans for this car FAST intakes seem to be the favorite around here.

As for headers you will need to be careful with ground clearance if you decide to do headers and a y pipe. a lot of people like the pacesetter headers.

After that a tune would be able to get quite a few extra ponies from that setup.

To be honest though a lot of people INSIST on getting a beefy rear end before adding power to their cars. In fact some won't even add DR's till they get a good rear. Moser 12bolt and 9inch rears seem to be popular amongst those that post here.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I thought the article showed that the in car devices were pretty darn close.

I found my car is very sensitive to weather. Wind direction, relative humidity and air temp. My car can very a 1/4 second with weather changes.

Your numbers were very close to mine when I had similar mods done.

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

thanks guys. that was more of the answers i was looking for. as for temp/wind, i always try to test on the same type of conditions. I guess the other question i have is, if my 60ft has improved, shouldnt my 1/4 mile time improve as well? Or is the traction absorbing the power and making the engine lag/bog too hard therefore giving me a slower 1/4 time? Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated!

black
    02 vette vert

thanks guys. that was more of the answers i was looking for. as for temp/wind, i always try to test on the same type of conditions. I guess the other question i have is, if my 60ft has improved, shouldnt my 1/4 mile time improve as well? Or is the traction absorbing the power and making the engine lag/bog too hard therefore giving me a slower 1/4 time? Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated!
    you didnt mention mph. im not sure if your device gives mph, but since you're running taller tires you could have better 60' times due to improved traction with DRs, but slower e.t with higher mph due to increase in tire height. [?]

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

ya. thats absolutely right, the speed dropped by 4mph and the time by a tenth. 103 down to 99 and 13.5 to 13.6. Just wondering what i can do now, what about a tune or programmer? Or is that not worth it at this point in time? Kinda getting late in the year around here so only have prob a month to play around. Thanks for the responses

black
    02 vette vert

ya. thats absolutely right, the speed dropped by 4mph and the time by a tenth. 103 down to 99 and 13.5 to 13.6. Just wondering what i can do now, what about a tune or programmer? Or is that not worth it at this point in time? Kinda getting late in the year around here so only have prob a month to play around. Thanks for the responses
    an easy one would be to try the same size DR's as the tires you had on before, but you probably dont have access to a pair. its can be a problem when you change more than one variable at a time.[ better hook-up and larger diameter] leaves too many questions sometimes. i thought you may have shown a little increase in mph with the taller tire getting it moving faster farther down the track, still resulting in a little slower et. from not getting it moving as quickly.

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

ya your so right about all the different variables that come into play here. gonna try a couple more runs on cooler night to give it a fair chance. If harvest and weather permits i will try to get her to the track this weekend as well. Could be suprised or disappointed on the outcome. I guess it is what it is, for now anyway, lots of trial and error. confusing and fun as hell at the same time.

Thread Information