Black
    1999 Trans Am

Angry Sluggish in low rpms

Lately it seems like my car is a little sluggish in the low rpms. The tires wont even really spin like they used to just stabbing it at a slow roll. It just seems like it accelerates really slowly until it gets to ~3500 rpm. (This is even with LTs and TDs)

Its been under 10,000 since I've changed the fuel filter...air filters good...maf and TB are clean. My question is about plugs and wires. I just got new plugs and wires maybe 4,000 ago and from what I remember the car was running really good after that but Ive done some work on various things since then (had the wires off a few times) and I'm worried maybe I'm having a spark issue. A couple of the wires I've pushed on with all my might and it seems like they're on but I can't get a "click". I've also checked for arcing at night in the dark. it seems to run and idle smoothly it just thats its sluggish. Would a cracked or fouled plug or a loose wire always trigger the SES light or not?? Is there anything else I can check? I've already checked the DS plugs but I dont really want to start pulling PS plugs until I've tried everything else.

Red
    01 ECSB Z71 & 89 Iroc-Z

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    Lately it seems like my car is a little sluggish in the low rpms. The tires wont even really spin like they used to just stabbing it at a slow roll. It just seems like it accelerates really slowly until it gets to ~3500 rpm. (This is even with LTs and TDs)

Its been under 10,000 since I've changed the fuel filter...air filters good...maf and TB are clean. My question is about plugs and wires. I just got new plugs and wires maybe 4,000 ago and from what I remember the car was running really good after that but Ive done some work on various things since then (had the wires off a few times) and I'm worried maybe I'm having a spark issue. A couple of the wires I've pushed on with all my might and it seems like they're on but I can't get a "click". I've also checked for arcing at night in the dark. it seems to run and idle smoothly it just thats its sluggish. Would a cracked or fouled plug or a loose wire always trigger the SES light or not?? Is there anything else I can check? I've already checked the DS plugs but I dont really want to start pulling PS plugs until I've tried everything else.
    Sounds like you have a vacuum leak or ignition problem. Check for a vacuum leak, then let me know what you find out.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Normally if you're having a fuel supply problem it'll tend to show up more in the higher rpm's when the demand for fuel is high vs lower rpm's when the demand is low. You have LT's and TD's but what are your other mods? Has the car been tuned? I would probably pull a couple of plugs and see what they look like. If you're running with LT's and untuned it could be possible that you're fouling plugs. Another possibility is O2's. How many miles on your O2's? Do you still have your rears handy you could swap in to the front position and see how the car acts?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

vacuum looks good. Doesnt look like theres any leaks anywhere.

Ill pull the o2s and see what they look like. Is there anything I should be looking for?

Also, the shop did what they call a "quick tune." I know its not an optimal tune or anything, but the shop told me it would keep the A/F in spec for the very reason of not fouling plugs or leaning out too much.

As for other mods, right now the car is pretty much stock. Just got a few suspension mods and air lid.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

changed the spark plugs lately???

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    changed the spark plugs lately???
    yeah like 5k ago

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

are your plugs gapped correctly???

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    are your plugs gapped correctly???
    I just checked to make sure they were all the same when I got them. i want to say they were all .057. They are the TR55s.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

odd... is this and auto or m6... i'm starting to think the problem is with the trans...

if you're m6 it sounds like the fly wheel is starting to glaze over... if your auto it soundslike some bands might be slipping...

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I checked the clutch for slipping. It seems fine. I'm starting to think it may be my tune. When the car runs in my garage it smells really strong and burns my eyes when its running. I think im just gonna save up some money and try a mail order tune.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    I checked the clutch for slipping. It seems fine. I'm starting to think it may be my tune. When the car runs in my garage it smells really strong and burns my eyes when its running. I think im just gonna save up some money and try a mail order tune.
    Strong fuel odor=tune is off. How is your gas mileage?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Strong fuel odor=tune is off. How is your gas mileage?
    yeah thats what i figured. gas mileage is terrible

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yup. The air/fuel ratio is off. When I had my car tuned, the guy made a few adjustments til the ratios were right.

Thread Information