• 5 Crank

15 83.33%

2 11.11%
  • 10-12

1 5.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slp lid

Slp lid

How much hp will it add over stock at the crank? Claims 12, but im thinking more like 5.

thx,
    mike

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Anything SLP "claims" in HP rating you can throw right out of the window. Probably 5-7 would be my guess. Lid and line lock are about the only thing worth buying from them. I wouldn't recommend anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Anything SLP "claims" in HP rating you can throw right out of the window. Probably 5-7 would be my guess. Lid and line lock are about the only thing worth buying from them. I wouldn't recommend anything else.
    haha yeah i figured a lid, is a lid

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS6

I dont think its possible for a lid to add power at the crank, the engine is not put on an engine dyno and run with a stock lid on it so I would jut be worried about rwhp. The lid just frees up lost power, it doesnt add it. Just get whatever one looks best or is the best deal, there isnt that much of a difference in them, and I dont think it possible one would cost you power. I had the carbon fiber look whisper lid even though I hate the carbon fiber look on most things, the lid looked good with it. Does the SLP one still have the hookup for the air pump pipe? If so thats a little cleaner install.
    Last edited by 2001nbma4; 08-15-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Freeing up power and adding power are the same thing are they not? lol both = more power but yeah i read 4-5 at the wheels so thats not bad for 100 bills

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Freeing up power and adding power are the same thing are they not? lol both = more power but yeah i read 4-5 at the wheels so thats not bad for 100 bills

I don't think the lid comes with an air filter. You will have to buy your own. A lot of people do not go with K&N, but use an Amsoil paper filter. Not sure on the price of an Amsoil filter, but the K&N is going to run you about $65. The reason people claim they don't want a K&N (or any other performance filter that uses oil) is that the oil on the filter gets into the intake over time. You may need to clean your MAF more often with it.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

I don't think the lid comes with an air filter. You will have to buy your own. A lot of people do not go with K&N, but use an Amsoil paper filter. Not sure on the price of an Amsoil filter, but the K&N is going to run you about $65. The reason people claim they don't want a K&N (or any other performance filter that uses oil) is that the oil on the filter gets into the intake over time. You may need to clean your MAF more often with it.

thx, i already got a k&n.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Amsoil filter & K&N are about the same in price.
    The K&N passes a shit ton of dirt compared to the Amsoil.
    K&N you hve to wash & re-oil it.
    Amsoil you vacuum it off & it's good to go.

Post Not paper...

Just to set things straight, the Amsoil air filter is not made with paper. It's made with Donaldson synthetic nano-fiber media and is guaranteed for 4-years or 100,000-miles.

The Amsoil filter is a "dry" filter design and is cleanable by low pressure air or shop-vac so no messy cleaners or oils to buy.

Below an example of different filter media efficiencies

Left to right: Amsoil Ea Air / Cellulose (paper) / Wet Gauze (K&N)

CompSyn

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS6

I ran mine with a K&N, Fram, Stock, and no filter at all at a track day back in 01 and there was no difference in the Fram, K&N, and no filter at all. Dont get scammed into buying a reusable and having to wash it, screw up the maf, etc. a fram or whatever will work just fine and its a lot easier to throw one away and just drop a new one in. And isnt that test on the Amsoil filter on a brand new filter, not one that has been sucked off with a shop vac?

Post Cleaning ability

Quote Originally Posted by 2001nbma4 View Post
    And isnt that test on the Amsoil filter on a brand new filter, not one that has been sucked off with a shop vac?
    ??? Not sure what you mean.

In my post I'm not talking air flow, I'm talking about the filters ability to filter out fine dust particles.

The amsoil filters 5 times better than paper and 50 times better than K&N.

Watch THIS video?

CompSyn
    Last edited by CompSyn; 08-16-2009 at 02:38 PM.

White
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    Just to set things straight, the Amsoil air filter is not made with paper. It's made with Donaldson synthetic nano-fiber media and is guaranteed for 4-years or 100,000-miles.

The Amsoil filter is a "dry" filter design and is cleanable by low pressure air or shop-vac so no messy cleaners or oils to buy.

Below an example of different filter media efficiencies

Left to right: Amsoil Ea Air / Cellulose (paper) / Wet Gauze (K&N)

Click for full size

CompSyn
    When I got my "02 SS with 350HP option it came with a Donaldson filter which I still have in it's box. Is this the same type media?

Post Part number

Quote Originally Posted by SSnow View Post
    When I got my "02 SS with 350HP option it came with a Donaldson filter which I still have in it's box. Is this the same type media?
    Look for a part number. Maybe #P536427?

Donaldson makes two filter medias, one is synthetic and the other is paper.

I believe you're filter is the paper version.

Donaldson doesn't make synthetic filters for most car and light truck applications, which is why you have to get them through Amsoil.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    ??? Not sure what you mean.

In my post I'm not talking air flow, I'm talking about the filters ability to filter out fine dust particles.

The amsoil filters 5 times better than paper and 50 times better than K&N.

Watch THIS video?

CompSyn
    the more particulates it fitters out the more it has to be serviced right?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by twozs View Post
    the more particulates it fitters out the more it has to be serviced right?
    Not too bad-

Quote Originally Posted by Amsoil,Inc
    EaA Filters remain effective for 25,000 miles or one year before requiring cleaning.
    If you're really in dusty conditions you could clean it more if you like.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think what people are confusing is the difference between HP and filtration. Ideally you want the most filtration available but people often look at free flowing filters and rate them by HP. What you really want is one that filters the best but chokes the car less. I mean if you're just wanting HP run without a filter. It won't be long before you realize why a good quality air filter is important. More to this stuff than HP. Like the old saying goes that I love to use. Reliable...cheap.....fast. Pick 2.

as to the original poll question. I'm not sure what the crank HP gains would be but there was a lid shootout done in a mag a few years ago and most aftermarket lids were pretty close and all were low teens I think as far as gains to the wheels. Maybe someone has the link to the shootout or remembers it more than I do.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Who cares how often you have to clean your Amsoil filter..... it costs nothing to clean it except maybe a few volts or a few psi. 15-20 psi or vaccum takes hardly any amount of time and the dirt it saves from going into the engine is amazing. Amsoil is the only way to go. It is re-usable and is cheaper then $50 dollars for our cars. You will spend that amount with throw aways over the years. Its warrantied for 4 years or 100,000 miles but with proper care, could out last that warranty. Amsoil FTW!!
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

so i guess im not going to notice much difference.. guess it will at least look better

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

when i put my lid, k&n, smooth bellow and ported throttle body i did not notice any difference at all. I was expecting atleast a quicker throttle response but i guess mine was quick enough already. Only thing ive done that i felt a major difference is gears, hopefully when i put the headers on ill give some feedback on those.

The Hp gain is too small to notice a difference or a big difference atleast it was for me. Every car is different, believe it or not when i put on shorty headers on my 93 LT1 Camaro i felt a major difference and a tune. I would purposly bog it in 2nd gear and let the rpms climb and then it would spin bad as soon as it hit 5000 rpm's to 6000 rpm's easy.

SOM
    2002 SS

I put in a K&N and did the free ram air mod. Is there that large of a gain with a lid? I think 5 hp from a lid is significant. i didnt go with one because I think the aftermarket lids are ugly.. the stocker seems to fit real nice and keep the compartment (especially at the front) look neat.

Thread Information