GROUND KONTROL C.C. CEO SSMuscle's Avatar

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

SLP cooling fans switch........

K, if I just installed the SLP switch to manually turn the cooling fans on and off, is it a good idea to go ahead with the 160 degree thermo, or is it just a waste? and should I put that money elsewhere.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Might want to wait until next spring if you don't want to take it back out this winter. People that live were it gets to a cool temp of 50 deg or lower like the 180 because in the cool weather it helps keep the heaters temp were it actually feels like heat and not luke warm air. It really depends on how much heat you use in your car and how willing you are to swap it when it gets cool out. I don't know about Dallas but last winter there were several times here in florida when I could have used more heat because I like to run thith the windows open in the winter no mater how cold it is and the 160 was not cutting it. The you will notice a differance in the winter.

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Might want to wait until next spring if you don't want to take it back out this winter. People that live were it gets to a cool temp of 50 deg or lower like the 180 because in the cool weather it helps keep the heaters temp were it actually feels like heat and not luke warm air. It really depends on how much heat you use in your car and how willing you are to swap it when it gets cool out. I don't know about Dallas but last winter there were several times here in florida when I could have used more heat because I like to run thith the windows open in the winter no mater how cold it is and the 160 was not cutting it. The you will notice a differance in the winter.
    hmm.......ok thanks

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I think the 180F is perfect for our cars, the 160F tells the PCM that the engine is still cold, and it dumps alot more fuel into the system.

SteveC

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I went with a 180 degree thermostat and reprogrammed the fans. The stock stat is rated at 195 to 197 degrees with fans not coming on until something like 220 degrees.

Since installing the cooler thermostat, the engine temp ranges from 184 to 192 under normal driving conditions and while cruising under light load pretty much hovers on 185. I think the highest I have seen it -- pulling a hill, A/C on, warm day, low speed, was around 198.

Temps are being read with a scanner as our factory gauge reads around 205 all the time after the engine is warmed up.

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

that's fine, but the question was if i should go ahead with the 160 thermo, even after I have the SLP manual switch for the fans connected. Should I just leave it alone and play with the fans?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by SSMuscle View Post
    that's fine, but the question was if i should go ahead with the 160 thermo, even after I have the SLP manual switch for the fans connected. Should I just leave it alone and play with the fans?

As already posted by another member, my feeling was that the 160 degree thermostat is too cold. I was just providing some real world numbers for a car equipped with a 180 degree stat.

Thread Information