Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I trade?

Red, Black
    1972 RS/SS, 2002 SS

Should I trade?

I have been trying to trade my 2004 Mazda RX8 for a 2002 Camaro SS for a couple of months. I found somebody that is willing to trade. Got a buddy to look the car up on Auto Check. There is one accident reported. When the car went to auction, it was reported as "unibody damage" the car has 69,000 miles on it. I am going to look at the car, and possibly trade tomorrow. My question is, should this unibody damage throw a red flag? The car's title is clean, no total reported, no salvage, no "rebuildable". My understanding is that unibody damage could indicate something as simple as somebody jacking the car in the incorrect spot. The values for the vehicles are almost the same. My RX8 was a dealer buyback, and also had to have the engine replaced at 25,000 miles. Also, I have been in 3 minor accidents with it. Only one resulted in the bumper cover needing to be replaced. In my opinion, the camaro's "unibody damage" washes out due to the fact that my RX8 was problematic in it's past. Any opinions and areas I should focus on in my inspection of the Camaro will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks guys

Just check the under carriage carefully make sure there are no cracks, extra welds, etc...in the subframe and floor. never been fan of the RX8 it handles pretty good but it's slow and can be a problematic car as you have found out. Have you seen the report or a carfax yourself? I would be a little concerned about the resale value given that note on the report. However given the choice between an RX8 with issues and the camaro i'd probably make the trade especially if you plan on keeping it for a while.

Red, Black
    1972 RS/SS, 2002 SS

Yes, I have the report in my hands. The car had 27,000 miles on it in 2006 so I know it was driven lightly. The one accident is the only reported. Besides that it went to auction a few times in the winter months but I credit that to dealers trying to sell a Camaro in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by Levey View Post
    Yes, I have the report in my hands. The car had 27,000 miles on it in 2006 so I know it was driven lightly. The one accident is the only reported. Besides that it went to auction a few times in the winter months but I credit that to dealers trying to sell a Camaro in the winter
    If it were me i'd go over the floor pans, wheel wells and subframe very carefully. If it looked good I'd pull the trigger but I'm very biased on this because I'm not a huge fan of Mazda and favor camaros.

Red, Black
    1972 RS/SS, 2002 SS

Sounds like a good game plan. I appreciate the advice

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Could be a good deal, but it could be a can of worms. No guts no glory. Go for it.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I would personally pass.
    Uni-body damage could be HUGE trouble down the road. With damn near everything.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

You could also get the alignment checked to see if anything is out of position. I've seen many where the thrust angle is way off because the rear axle has been pushed out of position. You can also look at caster and camber to see if any front suspension components are tweaked way beyond adjustment.

Red, Black
    1972 RS/SS, 2002 SS

Well the dealer all of the sudden, mysteriously, won't trade without my car and an additional $3,000. I feel like a girlfriend just broke up with me. If a deal that's closer to reality becomes an option I'll be sure to check all of the above mentioned areas.
    I wish I had something besides an RX8 to trade, as it is difficult and too ambitious to try to find somebody willing to go from an LS1 to a rotary.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Look THIS over and take another look at the car.

Unibody damage would be enough to scare me away. Try to find another one at another dealership and take it for a ride to get familiar with an f-body. Then go drive the one your looking at and see how much of a difference you feel.

Red, Black
    1972 RS/SS, 2002 SS

Is tat "unibody damage" the same as frame damage? Also would that come up on a Carfax report as well, or just the Auto Check program which dealers use? Does it do anything to the title of the car?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Is tat "unibody damage" the same as frame damage?
    Yes
    Also would that come up on a Carfax report as well, or just the Auto Check program which dealers use?
    It usually will
    Does it do anything to the title of the car?
    It would have to bad enough to total the car to show up on the title.
    Answers in red above

Cobra, Z28, GN, F250

Have the car checked by a body man that you trust

-Will

Red, Black
    1972 RS/SS, 2002 SS

Although it wasn't totaled, I think I'm glad that deal didn't work out. The more I think about it, the more scary this unibody damage gets. I think I shrugged it off at first because I'm so eager to get into a Camaro. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Well the dealer all of the sudden, mysteriously, won't trade without my car and an additional $3,000. I feel like a girlfriend just broke up with me. If a deal that's closer to reality becomes an option I'll be sure to check all of the above mentioned areas.
    I wish I had something besides an RX8 to trade, as it is difficult and too ambitious to try to find somebody willing to go from an LS1 to a rotary.
    Just sell the RX8 outright get what you can and look for another camaro. I really can't believe they wanted 3k and your car typical dealer nonsense. They will have a tough time getting rid of that car.

Red, Black
    1972 RS/SS, 2002 SS

Yea the RX8 has been posted on Craigslist. I have a buddy that would be willing to take me to a dealer auction. He showed me what Camaros have been going for at auction. I'm pretty confident I could get a nice one for 10,000. The RX8 is a fun car, but when I drive my 72 Camaro, it makes me want to have the same feeling in a more modern setting.

Where in VA are you?

Red, Black
    1972 RS/SS, 2002 SS

Harrisonburg

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Just sell the RX8 outright get what you can and look for another camaro. I really can't believe they wanted 3k and your car typical dealer nonsense. They will have a tough time getting rid of that car.
    Yeah spring is right around the corner, if priced right your car should sell. Trading with a Dealer, they want to give you wholesale and sell you their car at retail which makes for your loss. Lower your Price, sell your car, go forth and find your Camaro. Don't just look local for a Camaro, you call always fly out and drive home to find the right car.
    Last edited by MeGoFast; 01-31-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: typo

Red, Black
    1972 RS/SS, 2002 SS

I agree completely. Never thought about flying and driving home, but that is a seriously kick ass idea.

Thread Information