Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Should i get the WS6 lower airbox?

I got my new ram air hood put on a couple weeks ago and i've had the SLP CAI installed for quite a while. The SLP intake comes along the radiator and sucks in air from under the car as most of you probably know. When i installed the CAI, there was a plastic strip provided that i used to block off the front passage of the intake where the air would enter in a ram air set up. I was talking to one of my friends and he says that i would get more power with real ram air and i disagreed, i mean an intake can only do so much right? 10 hp at the very most. Would anyone suggest that i get the ws6 lower airbox and actually have true ram air induction?
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

whs
    I would also like to know if the different lower airbox helps. It was obviously added to the factory cars for a reason.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

If you already have the SLP CAI, you don't need the WS6 lower airbox. I've read that if you mis the two, it ruins both. Something about poor airflow. Kinda like the stock top air lid. The baffles on the side of the stock airlid mess with the air flow, same principal with the double ram air. So, stick with one or the other.

pewter
    2000 SS

I agree, the ram air would disturb the flow of air from the cai.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

I would sell your ram air and buy the airbox with the money....it is twice as tall as your stock one (2" prob), and it would be forcing air right off the hood straight into your motor versus from the bottom. Some people will say hot air rises, so the air quality will not be as good, but I think your setup will be much better and safer this way...no rocks getting sucked up from kicking up, no water from under the car, etc...plus your k&n will stay a lot cleaner if you use the stock system. It shames the Camaro setup!

Rich

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Is there a difference between the SS/WS6 lower box and the Z28/Trans Am?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Only the WS6 has the raised lower airbox. No others from the factory that I know of. SS, Z, and TA all have the low lower airbox.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

That is right...1" versus 2", so it is double the opening. You can also mod the inside of the hood to allow the air to go straight in. You will hit 110mph with your setup in the quarter at around 13.0-13.2. These cars are crazy! If your really good...maybe a 12.9@111 could be in your near future.

Rich

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Only the WS6 has the raised lower airbox. No others from the factory that I know of. SS, Z, and TA all have the low lower airbox.
    Yea i think the raised airbox would be a waste in the SS cuz the scoop is so far back anyways.

Shhh! There's a
    hooker in the trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Z28er View Post
    That is right...1" versus 2", so it is double the opening. You can also mod the inside of the hood to allow the air to go straight in. You will hit 110mph with your setup in the quarter at around 13.0-13.2.
    how do you mod the hood?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Easy hood mod, just remove the 2 baffles. Then the air will have a straight shot into the air filter, this is a really nice CAI setup. Also, some people seal the hood to the airbox with some foam tape or other things. I haven't done this yet but will soon.

Beware, tho, that the baffles are designed to keep out water, so don't do anything stupid like use a hose to squirt water in there or get caught following a truck spraying water during a rainstorm. I haven't had any problems yet, and my airfilter has been dry so far every time I have checked after I have driven in the rain.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Speaking from experience I can tell you the debaffled Hood will show only a marginal gain over a stock flat hood. If the hood is sealed to the air box it will be better but still not as good as a CAI. The Hoods are for looks more than performance.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

But DAMN they look nice! I have always admired how the hoods GM has made over the decades are usually functional, unlike Chryslers and Fords. I also like how they are a different hood instead of the regular hood with some thing tacked on top.

Shhh! There's a
    hooker in the trunk

thanks for the info, ya i heard they can get some nasty water up in there. i think i will be leaving the hood alone and using it for what i was intending on doing with it.

Thread Information