Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AFFINITY1

Should I buy a LS1 in the winter?

im looking into getting a LS1 most likely TA. would it be a bad idea to purchase an LS1 and drive it in the wintertime?
    Last edited by AFFINITY1; 09-27-2005 at 06:44 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by AFFINITY1
    im looking into getting a LS1 most likely TA. would it be a bad idea to purchase an LS1 in the wintertime?
    I assume you are concerned ( I guess) about a proper test drive or something?
    I do not understand the specific question...

Black
    99 SS

but really the winter time is the best time for deals i guess cause prices drop a bit i think cause you cant drive them.

AFFINITY1
    exactly, im worried about getting around in the winter when its snowy and icy. my friend had a 98 TA auto and said it was hell. i assume a lot of his problems were from his tires which were for dry conditions. if i have decent wet/snow tires, and have two 12" subwoofers in boxes that weigh maybe 35-40 lbs each in the trunk so as to help traction would is till be in a lot of trouble driving around in the snowy winter conditions?

Black
    99 SS

dont know never had that problem being that i just got mine in april, but my dad has a 2000 5 speed 2wd silverado and he has never got stuck in the snow once and we have some pretty deacent snow storms around where i live, but i think it all has to do with the driver just take it easy and dont rush things out there.

exactly, im worried about getting around in the winter when its snowy and icy. my friend had a 98 TA auto and said it was hell. i assume a lot of his problems were from his tires which were for dry conditions. if i have decent wet/snow tires, and have two 12" subwoofers in boxes that weigh maybe 35-40 lbs each in the trunk so as to help traction would is till be in a lot of trouble driving around in the snowy winter conditions?
    If you can afford a cheap set of rims and some decent wet/snow tires for the winter, you shouldn't have any problems getting around (unless ground clearance becomes a big issue with big ditches) but you won't be able to romp on it very often untill you get your summer tires back on (which SUCK in snow/ice... but are surprisingly good in rain I found out )

The F-bodies are a bitch to drive in the winter.....even the LT1's with considerably less power are a pain in the ass......not to mention traction issues and only being able to drive half as fast as anyone with a truck or even a front wheel drive car. Just by a cheap winter beater if you don't have the $$ for a good vehicle in the winter. You don't want to get salt and all of that other winter crap all over a good car anyway do you? But as far as price.....you should get a better deal around here anyway in the winter.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

as far as good deals, winter is the time to buy an f-body. Test driving it would be a byoutch unless you do it on a dry day. It rained here for the first time since spring the other day...and I had a hard time getting going at a light on a slight incline. I was barely even touching the pedal and the tires were breaking loose. The ASR wasn't on though...figures the one time I need it and I didn't turn it on

BlackHawk T/A
    Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    as far as good deals, winter is the time to buy an f-body. Test driving it would be a byoutch unless you do it on a dry day. It rained here for the first time since spring the other day...and I had a hard time getting going at a light on a slight incline. I was barely even touching the pedal and the tires were breaking loose. The ASR wasn't on though...figures the one time I need it and I didn't turn it on
    Turn it on?

It's on from the moment you start your car...you turned it off...

Rhino21149
    . . drive it in the wintertime?
    In Illinois, in the snow? I live in North Carolina where is snows only once or twice a year, so it really wasn't inconvenient that I learned early just to park it if there was even a flake on the ground.

I have no idea how it would handle with snow tires, but I would think you'd want to have a backup for snow days.

02transam
    I bought my 2002 TransAm convertible new in Alaska in march and had no problems. I now live in northern Montana and my TA is my daily driver. The real issue is tires, you can get a Z rated tire that grips well in the summer and still does ok in the winter.

Kevin

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I put some B F Goodrich G-Force KDWS on the back of mine and whenever it snows I put a 85 lb. floorjack in the back for traction.I get around just fine -the posi only works when there is a torque sensed on the slipping side-like in a parking lot on ice,one wheel spins.Click up the parking brake a couple notches to load the spinning side-should get you moving.Anyway that's the only problems I've had-on pure ice in a parking lot.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
    Turn it on?

It's on from the moment you start your car...you turned it off...
    I have the SLP ASR reversal bro...and I know how it works, thanks

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

I live out in NJ...last summer i was affixed on buying an LS1 F-body, spent 6 months saving the remaining amount of money until December came around. I found a Z28 completely loaded for 11,995 (KBB for 14,500!), and a 3 month warranty...spent a lotta months looking at Camaro's and it's better off to surf the internet to find exactly what u want for a good price. Fortunately for the snow it had BF Goodrich Traction T/A's. I tried not to drive it around unless I had to, and had friends drive a lot, but it was well worth it when Spring came. Yes THEY SUCK in snow, slid everywhere and ASR can only do so much. If you wait until Spring to buy a Camaro they will be more in demand and prices will follow....irreguardless you will still have to drive it in snow when the next winter comes around. It also allowed me to learn how to control the car when it whips around and slides like hell.

LOLLIROT
    hhm. i would buy one in the winter cause i do believe the prices go down.. but imi not sure i'd drive it, i'd imgaine it'd be a little scary.. well i guess it depends... i'd mostly be scared of hydro-plating(sp). a friend of my has a 89 formula firebird and that thing was scary as shit when my friend and i drove it in the rain, it also had problems.

silver
    2002 Mustang GT

thats good 2 no that they are cheaper in the winter. I also am looking to buy a ls1, snow and ice wont be a problem down here.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

then they might not be cheaper in wintertime in Texas. lol. My theory is they become cheap in winter, cuz no1 wants to drive a no-tread car in the SNOW and ICE (TX=no ice), so the demand in those areas go down, and the prices decrease to follow demand. If you don't live in a snowball by February, then prices wont decrease.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Winter air=colder..... Colder air= YOUR CAR GOING FASTER!!! BUY IT!!!

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

ive driven an fbody through the past 6 winters, my mom has been driving an fbody through winters since she got her first fbody in 79. if you can handle doin a 180 with a 300rwhp car in the snow then ure fine, if u dont think u can handle that i say dont buy it and wait until summer, but also keep in mind u are then going to need a winter beater. and if ure from an area that doesnt get much snow fck it go and buy the car. Also as the stupid pink writting said yea prices do go down *slightly* when cooler weather comes around, so that's a plus. (in areas that get bad winters)

RED/ORANGE
    99 TRANSAM

I got my TA a year and half ago. When I bought the car it had nittos that were pretty worn out. I drove it like that in the winter and it wasn't that bad. But I work only 5 miles away from home. As long as the streets are plowed you'll be okay. Now driving on the highway during a snow storm is a different story. Remember there really isn't any good traction with freezing temperatures. And I do believe they will be cheaper in the snow season especially in a state like Illinois.

Thread Information