Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Shift kit / Long tube install

Hey I know I'm always and annoyingly asking questions about these, but i'm now inching closer and closer to finally getting them installed. I have a few more questions I wanna ask before I actually go out and do this, so please bear with me here. any help is appreciated (if you feel like helping me out with this yet again of course)

Car is a 02 WS6, automatic.

1. Do I need 02 extensions?
    2. The pipes right after the cats apparently flatten down and it reduces the sound...Is it true that if I widen that out with different piping it'll be louder and save me the money i'd spend for a LT install?
    3. the shift kit install..AAMCO said our transmission need an inspection before I get a shift kit installed, quoted me at 1100 for everything. I call BS.
    4. so how much, ballpark, should I expect to pay for a LT plus Catted Y install? for a Shift kit, Corvette servo, tranny cooler, and filter/gasket install?

Thanks again guys your all great

red
    2002 z28

i recommend getting an x pipe system or h pipe system, im fixing to do hooker super competition lt's and and x pipe system

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

I saw somebody post on here awhile back that a shop was going to charge him $150 to install headers on his car. It all depends on how long it takes to do the install and what their labor rate is. Call around to some reputable auto shops in your area and get them to quote you a price.

You could also save some money by doing it yourself, if you have the tools and means to do it.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

35th, its a great idea but I already have an expensive borla catback installed, so i'd have to do the h pipe. would that make it louder if I bought a catted one?

fin, 150???? wow A few shops out here want to charge me around $100 per hour; I'm getting quotes anywhere from $500 to $800!!! I knew I was getting ripped off...
    Idk if i want to do it myself, i'm not exactly the best car repairman. Is it easy to do in one sitting?

Who lives in the phoenix area and can help me out with finding a place? lol

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    Hey I know I'm always and annoyingly asking questions about these, but i'm now inching closer and closer to finally getting them installed. I have a few more questions I wanna ask before I actually go out and do this, so please bear with me here. any help is appreciated (if you feel like helping me out with this yet again of course)

2. The pipes right after the cats apparently flatten down and it reduces the sound...Is it true that if I widen that out with different piping it'll be louder and save me the money i'd spend for a LT install?
    3. the shift kit install..AAMCO said our transmission need an inspection before I get a shift kit installed, quoted me at 1100 for everything. I call BS.
    4. so how much, ballpark, should I expect to pay for a LT plus Catted Y install? for a Shift kit, Corvette servo, tranny cooler, and filter/gasket install?

Concerning #3, I had my Yank Converter and a Transgo shift kit, and cooler installed in my 01 Z28 (Sara) for $750 (by a local reputable mom and pop shop), out the door.

Please keep in mind that this was 10 years ago, however I can not believe that prices have gone up that much. I would look for another shop.

SteveC

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

$100/hour? Dang, sounds like dealership labor rates. Definitely check around, I've found places here locally cheaper than that.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

lol I thought I could do better! I don't even want to know how much the dealerships charge XD thanks for telling me that finz28

SteveC is that a good price? I dont know how much a yank converter install cost..but I really do hope I can do better than 750 for my shift kit install

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

lol I thought I could do better! I don't even want to know how much the dealerships charge XD thanks for telling me that finz28

SteveC is that a good price? I dont know how much a yank converter install cost..but I really do hope I can do better than 750 for my shift kit install
    I would think just a shift kit install would be a couple of hundred dollars at most, they do not have to remove the transmission to install the kit, MAYBE the valve body at most.

SteveC

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

The LT's aren't really that hard to do. I did mine in a weekend by myself in my garage. And this is the only car i've done that extensive of work on.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Stay far away from any franchise transmission shop like Aamco. They only want your money and could care less about doing the job right. Your local mechanic can install the shift kit for you, no problem.
    Aamco will inspect your trans for 1100.00, tell you it needs to be rebuilt for an additional 2400.00 and you will have to spend another 800.00 for the warranty because you have a shift kit. 4300.00 for something the guy down the street can do.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

500 for shiftkit/stall is the running rate around here. Longtubes are also 500 around here, usually because youll lift the motor and while donig that also repalce motor mounts. By corvette 02 sensors

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Good stuff SteveC

az gt eater I really want to do it by myself, but this project seems like something that would kick my ass if I screwed up on any little thing (Which is something I do very often on smaller projects). Is it a hard complicated install, or pretty easy and just alot of work?

2002sslp exactly XD

Whitdog sounds just about right. So I do need 02 sensors when I do this?

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

How many miles do you have on the car now, Rylan? Depending on the mileage, it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and do the O2's when you do the headers.
    Last edited by FinZ28; 06-17-2012 at 02:37 AM.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Good stuff SteveC

az gt eater I really want to do it by myself, but this project seems like something that would kick my ass if I screwed up on any little thing (Which is something I do very often on smaller projects). Is it a hard complicated install, or pretty easy and just alot of work?
    I would not attempt it myself, to others it is easy. You have to ask yourself "What is my mechanical ability?", after asking this question to myself , I brought the vehicle into a professional transmission shop. They replaced springs, plates, had to drill holes (enlarge) into the valve body and all sorts of other neat stuff.

SteveC

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

It's pretty straight forward, unbolt everything, bolt up the new. Send off PCM, get PCM back. Enjoy. You will want to do wires, plugs at the same time, because you will have them out. And, you will need new o2's. They are for a 2000 corvette. Bosch 13111's I believe. If you can, send the PCm out, then when it gets back, you are ready to go. There is going to be a few days turn around time, so you can use that time to install. You will need to jack the car up a good two feet to get the new headers in.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

If possible look around for shops in your area that specialize in lsx vehicles, if there is one in your area they could get you squared away on at least the header install for not too much. While thats getting done it's a great time for motor mounts as the stock ones are at least 10 years old. As for o2 sensors i'd go towards denso, i've seen too many SES lights pop up because of lazy bosch sensors. 234-4617 is the part number if you want denso
    The longer vette sensors will reach the bungs without using extensions and its good maintenance to replace them anyways

i know you are planning on having someone do the work, but i strongly advise you look at header install write-ups. It can save you loads of money doing it yourself.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Chris I have 45k miles on it. Bought it at 27k 2 years ago if that makes a difference. I'll still probably get them sensors since it's the popular answer

Steve There is no way i'm doing that shift kit myself I was thinking installing the LT's would probably be more like a step-by-step easy thing to do with just bolt ons. Of course It wouldn't hurt If I can remember and try to find a friend who is or wants to be a mechanic XD

az gt eater, awesome news about this is that If i decide to do the install there is a place around here that will let you use their lift and equipment for 20 an hour

tatertot This is where I get lost man.. New motor mounts and 02 sensors, things like that kinda confuse me. Which ones are necessary and which ones aren't? I'm not the most mechanic person haha but like i said before I figured 02 sensors are a necessity. and Denso Over Bosch? sounds good man thanks

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

You don't need new motor mounts but it's the best time to replace them once the manifolds are out. You could run o2 extensions but like i said, might as well put the money towards new sensors that are long enough. Bosch will work just fine, but i put my faith in denso a little more. Both do the job but i've had better experiences using denso sensors.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Rylan - LT's are on the difficult scale low-medium in doing. It is more of a time consuming project then a difficult one. there are several threads and how to's plus many of us here to give you help and pointers. Unless you have no basic skills or can't tell what the sizes of tools are I would recommend doing the LT's yourself. I would use a lift/tools for $20 if I had access to one. I did mine in my garage. Having a friend to help is also a plus.

O2's yes replace, better now.

The trans stuff - I have a M6 so my knowledge of A4's is very little so I'm no help there.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Alex, I'll keep my current motor mounts I think..no reason to replace right?
    oh that's something I was confused about. Skip the extensions and just buy new sensors all around? That I can do. I'll get the Denso's thanks to your suggestion. I've heard Bosch's have their problems!

Scott, thanks for that. I heard it was like 20 an hour to use their stuff. But still, $100 for something that woulda cost me 500+ is a hell of a lot better. I'll most likely have a friend to help as well.

I wish I had an M6, but god forbid this beauty is too perfect for me lol. I REALLY wish the WS6 was made manual only.

Thread Information