Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

She needs to loose 400lbs.. HELP PLZ

OK, so im starting this thread to see how many ides we can come up with for weight reduction WITHOUT sacrificing the interior of our beloved goats. I still have to take my son with with me every now and again.. so let the ideas begin.
    aside from carbon fiber hood and fenders, which i cant seem to find anywhere.
    and please if you have done one, lets post there weight reduction as well. as best as possible. thanks guys.

I want to achieve a 400lb reduction. do you think its possible. i know its crazy so lets get that out of the way early.

replace front seats with lighter racing seats. 60lb reduction 340 to go
    Wheels ? lb reduction
    hood ? lb reduction
    fenders ? lb reduction
    drive shaft ? lb reduction
    sound material under carpet ? lb reduction
    i dont know what else.

3300 lb is my goal here

Sorry for the repost, thought it would be better here.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We recently gutted a friend's '70 Dart -- each item we removed was weighed and tallied and it added up quick. Not sure what you have on the car now - easy thing to start with is the sound system... speakers, amp (if applicable), power antenna, and headunit. That's probably 15 lbs. or so.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I would take the bumpers and look behind them for foam/etc to remove. All emissions delete, AC delete, anything that you wont mind missing. Look in the trunk area for random crap you can take out.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

heat shields
    Going to 15" drag rims with skinnies up front will net you quite a bit of weight loss....you'd be look at 50+lb's probably.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

sweet guys, thankx for the info, keep it coming. i heard about the low mph crash bars up front. idk

Take the air bags and abs brake junk off.

I thought you mentioned a goat?? Do they offer tubular K members for them like the Fbodies??? I know that shaves a solid 60 lbs. off the nose.

As Orion mentioned installing 15 inch aluminum wheels not only takes weight off the car,,,,you also lose rotational mass referred to as unsprung weight.
    It's a double whammy that gives double the results.. Stay away from the big brakes as well,,,they have the same affect.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

sweet, i appreciate all the help. please if you think of some other things come back and post. i would really appreciate it. im gonna take a good look at her tonite and see what else i can do.

You could start getting picky and weigh the battery. I went through that with the firebird, and the parts stores look at you funny when you bring a scale in.
    Go for the lightest battery and compare that to what you have. Alot of guys would get carried away in the FAST series and put the smallest little batter they could in there, just enough to crank the motor,,,then gut the factory battery for the outer case to slide over and make the car appear like it still had the stock battery in it.

Keep pressing me and I'll tell ya some crazy ways to save weight if you really want to carry it that far.

fuels cells remove old gas tank and out in a smaller one, sound proofing behind the interior, any steels parts you can switch to aluminium.

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

they do make light weight racing batteries dont know much about them just sceen it advertised

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Fuel cell and remove spart tire (if you haven't done that yet. And if you just take your son around and only your son, take out the back seats.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

lol., thanks guys, keep em coming. plz. lets keep this going

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

could ditch the windshield washer fluid/reservior

stock manifolds/cats are typically pretty heavy, good excuse to ditch those

also your stereo(if you don't mind losing it) and speakers. still sounds ok with a few speakers missing if you don't wanna take em all out.

also your front skid plate

this thread looks very familiar:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1844182
    Last edited by creeper; 03-08-2009 at 06:18 PM.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

yeah, i posted then changed my mind as to where i thought it would get the most hits. i couldnt figure out to remove it. so my bad for the double post

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Shave you body.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You could start getting picky and weigh the battery. I went through that with the firebird, and the parts stores look at you funny when you bring a scale in.
    Go for the lightest battery and compare that to what you have. Alot of guys would get carried away in the FAST series and put the smallest little batter they could in there, just enough to crank the motor,,,then gut the factory battery for the outer case to slide over and make the car appear like it still had the stock battery in it.

Keep pressing me and I'll tell ya some crazy ways to save weight if you really want to carry it that far.
    I'm game if you don't mind. she already hates the car so why not

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

lol. wut else you got man. come on, anyone know where i could get rid of the glass for some lighter plexi or something.

Quote Originally Posted by JAX04 View Post
    lol. wut else you got man. come on, anyone know where i could get rid of the glass for some lighter plexi or something.
    You really want to take it that far???

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

I think with no cat, a fuel cell, racing seats, no back seat, you've got to be getting close to your goal. You'd be surprised how heavy your seats are.

You can get a carbon fiber driveshaft and a lightweight flywheel, too.

Something we did on a buddies car was to remove ever bolt and washer,,,body bolts, sheetmetal bolts etc...

Then made duplicates of all the washers out of aluminum,,,then painted and reinstalled all the bolts. Time consuming but it looked factory.
    We didn't do this on any suspension pieces though.

Making any support brackets out of aluminum is time consuming but worth it. Anything like bumper brackets, seat supports, etc...then you can take that a step further and swiss cheese the brackets in areas where structural integrity isn't important. This trick can also be done on any steel brackets you have.

Some other tricks we have used work on the older cars, I'm not real familiar with the new goats and whats available aftermarket as far as lighter suspension pieces or body parts. But we have gutted factory radios and reinstalled them just so it looks like it works. You can also do that with a heater, running the hoses and but they are internally blocked off and the heater core is gone. Still looks like it works.
    From what I am gathering here you may not care if things look factory or not though in which case simply removing it sounds more your style???

Thread Information